PDA

View Full Version : News 12 dead, 50 injured in Colorado shooting

accadacca
07-20-2012, 05:02 AM
Scary stuff...

--

A heavily armed gunman killed at least 14 people and wounded 50 more during an early Friday morning screening of the new Batman movie at an Aurora, Colorado, theater, police Chief Dan Oates told reporters.

Police arrested a man believed to be the shooter in a rear parking lot of the theater, Frank Fania, a police spokesman, told CNN. The suspect was not immediately identified, though Fania said he was believed to be in his early 20s.

"He did not resist. He did not put up a fight," Fania said. Police seized a rifle and a handgun from the suspect, and another gun was found in the theater, he said.

KMGH: Mass shooting inside Aurora movie theater

Oates said there was no evidence of a second gunman, and FBI spokesman Jason Pack said it did not appear the incident was related to terrorism.

President Barack Obama issued a statement saying he and first lady Michelle Obama were "shocked and saddened" by the shooting and pledged the administration's support for victims of the shooting.

"As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family," it said.

Chaos broke out during the showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" at the Century Aurora 16 theater when the shooting began, police and witnesses said.

Witnesses told KUSA that the gunman kicked in an emergency exit door and threw a smoke bomb into the darkened theater before opening fire.

One movie-goer, who was not identified, told KUSA the gunman was wearing a gas mask.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/us/colorado-theater-shooting/index.html?c=homepage-t

rockgremlin
07-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Why the f*** was there a baby at the MIDNIGHT showing of Batman? (The baby got it point blank btw).

F***ing stupid people. I'm guessing the parents won't have TDKR in their Blu Ray library...

rockgremlin
07-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Here's some pics for yas....whoever knows Italian can translate for us:

http://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2012/07/20/foto/denver_sparatoria_alla_prima_di_batman_10_morti-39383826/1/

(http://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2012/07/20/foto/denver_sparatoria_alla_prima_di_batman_10_morti-39383826/1/)

Deathcricket
07-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Why the f*** was there a baby at the MIDNIGHT showing of Batman? (The baby got it point blank btw).

F***ing stupid people. I'm guessing the parents won't have TDKR in their Blu Ray library...

Ugh they made it PG13, so there are definitely going to be kids in every theatre. I can see how that might make some people flip out. I know it just ruined my weekend.

restrac2000
07-20-2012, 08:45 AM

Really, that's your response to a mass homicide? Gross.

restrac2000
07-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Can't imagine what this sort of sudden loss of a loved would be like. Not sure there is a solution to these types of random assaults. I rarely use the word, but this is a real tragedy.

I know it has shaken up several friends and family members who live in the area.

Iceaxe
07-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Not sure there is a solution to these types of random assaults.

Carry a gun so you have the option of defending yourself if you choose.

In the end you are the only one that can really protect yourself.

Sent using Tapatalk

jman
07-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Carry a gun so you have the option of defending yourself if you choose.

In the end you are the only one that can really protect yourself.

Sent using Tapatalk

X2

restrac2000
07-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Not sure that is much a solution when the guy is heavily armored with weapons and kevlar. Especially when he used surprise as his main tactic. It doesn't take long to kill 12 people especially when people are disoriented by their setting and tactical grenades (hence the reason police and military use them).

It also ignores the fact that his entire house is booby trapped with heavy explosives. Police are reporting that it could take days to dismantle the sophisticated web of devices he created. In fact, if he had been shot dead by a civilian, the explosives may not have been mentioned and more people could have been killed.

rockgremlin
07-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Really, that's your response to a mass homicide? Gross.

:lol8:

restrac2000
07-20-2012, 11:29 AM
:lol8:

At least try and be original with your quips, thats been recycled multiple times already.

Gross was a statement of your comment not my reaction. Not offended......just shocked at the low caliber quality of your ideas and tangental contributions.

Deathcricket
07-20-2012, 12:07 PM
At least try and be original with your quips, thats been recycled multiple times already.

Gross was a statement of your comment not my reaction. Not offended......just shocked at the low caliber quality of your ideas and tangental contributions.

I am curious though, do you get offended/depressed/upset every time 12 people die in the U.S. or just because this is pretty unusual? I mean if you think about it there are sick people killing others pretty much every second.... rapists, serial killers, torturers, pedafiles, etc, etc... Dwelling on it seems a sad way to live. But then I think maybe I'm just an ass for becoming so calloused to the daily abominations CNN spams me. Weird balance to strike up I guess, still caring and having a soul, and not becoming an insensitive jerk like me. :haha:

restrac2000
07-20-2012, 12:17 PM
I am curious though, do you get offended/depressed/upset every time 12 people die in the U.S. or just because this is pretty unusual? I mean if you think about it there are sick people killing others pretty much every second.... rapists, serial killers, torturers, pedafiles, etc, etc... Dwelling on it seems a sad way to live. But then I think maybe I'm just an ass for becoming so calloused to the daily abominations CNN spams me. Weird balance to strike up I guess, still caring and having a soul, and not becoming an insensitive jerk like me. :haha:

Fair question. Not sure what the word for hearing about events like this would be. Not the ones you mentioned but definitely something negative. I should say I spent almost a decade living in metro-Denver and have friends who live near his house (not close enough to be evacuated). That proximity and seeing friends check-in with each other via email and Facebook hits a little close to home.

Mass homicides like this seem increasingly common (could just be media coverage) and hit close to home. I personally don't "dwell" on the issue but I am affected when they happen. I was on the AT when Columbine happened, which was about a mile from my home at the time. They closed the streets and my sister had close friends at the school. This one resonated and regurgitates some of the experiences people had then. Most of the metro-Denver residents I know who lived in the region during that assault still have forgotten the media onslaught and vulnerability it created. Opening a wound.

I guess its the scale of the event (and their ilk) that demand my attention if I am honest.

MY T PIMP
07-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Century is owned by Cinemark which has a no firearm policy. "Gun free zone" more like "gun killing free zone." Gun free zones should be required to have proper security to protect law abiding patrons. This guy knew what he was doing, no cops would most likely be at a midnight movie, and any would be concealed carriers had to leave their protective weapons in their vehicles. No opposition, and an overwhelming ability to commit an act of mass destruction equals a the perfect recipe for a crazy mass murder. This is very sad, but when will people realize (like I posted in the political thread), unprotected and unsecure gun free zones are invitations for these tragedies.

Scott P
07-22-2012, 09:33 AM
This is a horrible tragedy. Even though this thead hasn't degraded yet, may instead of bickering about politics, who took their baby to the movies, etc, we can all discuss how to help the families. Everytime something like this happens, it makes me sad (I know I'm not alone in that manner) and I wonder how we can all help. Maybe someone could point us out to where/how we can help the families and discuss some of that.

To quote:

[I]When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother

Don
07-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Interesting response in Wired:
Why Batman Believes in Gun Control

(http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/07/batman-guns/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Top +Stories%29)

accadacca
07-22-2012, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=Scott P;505149]This is a horrible tragedy. Even though this thead hasn't degraded yet, may instead of bickering about politics, who took their baby to the movies, etc, we can all discuss how to help the families. Everytime something like this happens, it makes me sad (I know I'm not alone in that manner) and I wonder how we can all help. Maybe someone could point us out to where/how we can help the families and discuss some of that.

To quote:

[I]When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother

accadacca
07-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Just passing along a couple things I saw on Facebook...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sKQl-Qp5W0&sns=em

rockgremlin
07-23-2012, 07:06 AM

I "shocked" you?" :roflol:You shock easily I guess.

My comments aren't for your benefit, but mine. The scoring system goes like this:

My comment makes me giggle = 1 point.

My comment pisses off some insensitive sap = 3 points.

My comment "shocks" somebody = 10 points.

Fire away...:fitz:

BTW.....http://www.truthcontrol.com/forum/colorado-batman-shooting-clearly-flase-flag-new-world-disorder

Scott P
07-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Tragic situation, but a good article on good in this world:

http://gma.yahoo.com/women-survived-theater-shooting-grieve-hero-boyfriends-215438672--abc-news-topstories.html