PDA

View Full Version : Rock Art and Ruins in the Southwest corner of Utah

wnorton
07-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Hello all,

Anyone interested in sharing some beta about ruins and art in the Southwest of Utah? I've found some great petroglyphs and pictographs in the area, but very little in the way of ruins.

We moved away from the area and after a couple years in Florida we are back. Anxious to get back to my explorations for art and ruins.

Wade

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wnorton @ Southern, UT

Deadeye008
07-17-2012, 11:22 AM
There is a ruin/village site in Santa Clara. Not much left of it though. There are some cool petroglyphs in the same area as well. A bunch of them.

wnorton
07-18-2012, 12:49 AM
There is a ruin/village site in Santa Clara. Not much left of it though. There are some cool petroglyphs in the same area as well. A bunch of them.

Very cool. Can you provide any details to information on where to begin looking?

Thanks
Wade

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

Scott P
07-19-2012, 07:41 PM
There are some really nice ruins and petrooglyphs in Cottonwood and Indian Canyons. The turn off for the trailhead is the Handcocl Road about half way between Mr Carmel Junction and Kanab. An Alternate route is via the San Dunes Road jus south of Mt Carmel Junction. It;s a pretty short hike to the petroglyphs in Indian Canyon. There are ruins scattered about both canyons, but the best one is in the next side canyon down Cottonwood from the Indian/Cottonwood junction. The canyon coming in from the east is the right one and the one with the good ruins.

Edit:

While searching for an online photo, I found out that the
traditional route may have been blocked:

http://ruinsseldomseen.com/Cottonwood_Cyn.html

Only upper Cottonwood is private land, so you should be able to find another way in. Indian Canyon, Water Canyon and coming in from the bottom are on public land.

wnorton
01-22-2013, 06:29 PM
There are some really nice ruins and petrooglyphs in Cottonwood and Indian Canyons. The turn off for the trailhead is the Handcocl Road about half way between Mr Carmel Junction and Kanab. An Alternate route is via the San Dunes Road jus south of Mt Carmel Junction. It;s a pretty short hike to the petroglyphs in Indian Canyon. There are ruins scattered about both canyons, but the best one is in the next side canyon down Cottonwood from the Indian/Cottonwood junction. The canyon coming in from the east is the right one and the one with the good ruins.

Edit:

While searching for an online photo, I found out that the
traditional route may have been blocked:

http://ruinsseldomseen.com/Cottonwood_Cyn.html

Only upper Cottonwood is private land, so you should be able to find another way in. Indian Canyon, Water Canyon and coming in from the bottom are on public land.

Hello Scott,

Just curious, any luck with finding an alternative route to the ruin? I'm still intrigued with this site.

Thanks
Wade

wnorton @ Southern, UT

wnorton
01-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Scott, FYI I have placed an order for your book. Looking forward to it.

wnorton @ Southern, UT

kiwi_outdoors
01-22-2013, 06:44 PM
I would think that you may not find much online from responsible posters - posting up such stuff leads to theft and abuse of the ruins