PDA

View Full Version : Help Need Phone Advice - Iphone vs. Droid vs. Galaxy vs. HTC - Which one wins?

rockgremlin
07-11-2012, 01:51 PM
My phone is the worst piece of technology ever conceived. It's old and outdated and the layout sucks all manner of ass.

I'm lookin for a new updated snazzy phone that does all manner of stuff that doesn't suck. Which one of the phones listed above would you choose and why? Or is there a better one out on the market currently?

Thanky thanky :mrgreen:

stefan
07-11-2012, 01:58 PM
some folks are raving about the nokia lumia 900.

the phone itself, the operating system (and everything it's associated with), and the available carriers may be important factors in your decision

rockgremlin
07-11-2012, 02:31 PM
true...I'd prefer something along the lines of Verizon cuz that's who I currently use

DiscGo
07-11-2012, 02:41 PM
My personal preference right now is Android for phones, and iPad for tablets. Google is working on its own alternative to SIRI, and Apple is working on its own alternative to Google Navigate. For me it comes down to iTunes. If you don't mind using iTunes for everything you do on your phone, you will likely be very happy with an iPhone. If you want to have options on what kinds of apps you use, and where to get them go Android.

In my experience iPhones have a better battery life, and need to be rebooted less (still some, but not as often as Android phones). But I also prefer Android for screen size and additional control for Apps. Apple prevents iOS apps from having the same control as Android phones. So there are a lot of awesome apps that aren't available for iOS. But there are some cool apps (especially games) on iOS that have never made their way to Android.

Right now if I were buying a phone, I'd likely go with the Droid Razr Max and anxiously await Google's version of SIRI. Or I would go with the Galaxy S3.

Deathcricket
07-11-2012, 02:45 PM
I will have to see which one still supports @hotmail addresses and get back to you. :2thumbs:

DiscGo
07-11-2012, 03:39 PM
I will have to see which one still supports @hotmail addresses and get back to you. :2thumbs:

That was funny! I am sure that RockGremlin of all people will appreciate the advice.

double moo
07-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Stopped at the library this afternoon so the wife could get whatever she was after. While waiting I looked through the latest ConsumerGuides, it had a section on cell phones. The IPhone rated I the bottom 15% for almost every carrier. I was a bit surprised.

BruteForce
07-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Droid Razr Maxx.. By a huge margin. I've tried them all including the iPhone 4s that now acts as an iPod.

stefan
07-11-2012, 05:51 PM
one thing, rock, in the event that you decide on an iphone, keep in mind that a new one is to be released likely in september (maybe august). at that point the iPhone 4s may be kept around at a lower price with the new one being the standard option (typically) at the same price point.

Sombeech
07-11-2012, 07:07 PM
My personal preference right now is Android for phones, and iPad for tablets.

Right now if I were buying a phone, I'd likely go with the Droid Razr Max and anxiously await Google's version of SIRI.

Ditto. Droid Razr Maxx.

The guy I work with constantly brags about his battery life, showing me it's at 80% when he last charged it 2 days ago.

Some don't like the bigger size but I do.

Iceaxe
07-11-2012, 07:21 PM
I just upgraded to the Galaxy.

I'm on AT&T and the deciding factor for me was everyone that works at the AT&T store (and can upgrade to any phone they want for free) were all using the Galaxy.

YMMV

bigred72
07-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Some don't like the bigger size but I do.

Awkward!!!

accadacca
07-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Switching from hotmail and now a smartphone? Welcome to the 21st century! :lol8:

There is some chatter about iTunes and needing to plug in? Nah, that's a thing of the past. The iPhone and iPad are now designed to never need to be plugged into iTunes. I don't remember the last time I plugged in and we have a handful of them at my house. Everything is done over the air now. :2thumbs:

Get an iPhone just to get the street fighter games. They rule dude! Then you can come over and play in versus mode over wifi against my 9 year old and I'll watch him kick yer ass. :roflol:

Sweet game though. There are two. You gotta try them!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/street-fighter-iv/id354655665?mt=8&ls=1

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/street-fighter-iv-volt/id432849519?mt=8&ls=1

Iceaxe
07-11-2012, 11:47 PM
The app isyncr will let you use iTunes on an android phone. It's a cool app if you are addicted to iTunes but want to leave the walled iOS garden.

rockgremlin
07-12-2012, 07:38 AM

You're an unbelievable douche...:bootyshake:

rockgremlin
07-12-2012, 07:41 AM
one thing, rock, in the event that you decide on an iphone, keep in mind that a new one is to be released likely in september (maybe august). at that point the iPhone 4s may be kept around at a lower price with the new one being the standard option (typically) at the same price point.

Smart advice...my son has an ipod, and I was astounded at all of the features. It got to the point where he and I were fighting to use it. :haha:

Thanks Stefan!

rockgremlin
07-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Narrowed down to two: Iphone or Droid Raxor Maxxy

accadacca
07-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Narrowed down to two: Iphone or Droid Raxor Maxxy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btm89R1WI4Q

rockgremlin
07-12-2012, 11:34 AM
^^^That's DOPE! When did your son learn Japanese?

accadacca
07-12-2012, 12:38 PM
^^^That's DOPE! When did your son learn Japanese?

:lol8: These language programs are all the rage in the schools...

DiscGo
07-12-2012, 01:47 PM
There is some chatter about iTunes and needing to plug in? Nah, that's a thing of the past.

In my case it was a reference to the phone being so locked down that you can only go to Apple App store through iTunes (and yes through iPhone) but you can't go to different app stores.

With Android you can install apps on your phone from Google's "Play Store". And from Amazon's App store. Or you can just download the .apk file and install them directly without any app store. There are also a bunch of other random app stores you could use if you'd like to. I just don't like being confined Aoole's app store and needing to have iTunes on m computer to manage my phone from my computer.

rockgremlin
07-12-2012, 02:03 PM
I just don't like being confined Aoole's app store and needing to have iTunes on m computer to manage my phone from my computer.

That's a huge pain in the ass...

Mtnseeker1
07-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Oh my god were is a pay phone when you need one.:roflol:

And I bet them suns a guns only take plastic. LMAOFE

Cant wait till this this all crashes around your ears and you can't find a compass. HEHE.

Dead reckoning and other thoughtfull classes every sunday morn at 4:30 am behind the big rock.

Mtnseeker1
07-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Compass, terrain and all that may apply classes behind the big red rock on sunday morn at 4:30 am
Be there and be sharp.:lol8:

Just wait for instructor as he may have had a hard night but he will show sooner or later.

accadacca
07-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Yeah you don't have to use iTunes anymore...at all. Manage from computer? Nope.

Amazon has the exact same apps that Google has...get them from either ok. Other app stores? Sure. Lotta malware out there on Android apps. I'd be hesitant to go elsewhere. It's too late for me to find the articles, but Android has a lot of problems will malware. Apple does not.

Ok here you go, first result for malware, posted 13 minutes ago: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/265304/scitech/gaming/another-malware-sneaks-past-google-plays-defenses

rockgremlin
07-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Oh my god were is a pay phone when you need one.:roflol:
And I bet them suns a guns only take plastic. LMAOFE
Cant wait till this this all crashes around your ears and you can't find a compass. HEHE.
Dead reckoning and other thoughtfull classes every sunday morn at 4:30 am behind the big rock.

Do you hear banjos playing a lot?

DiscGo
07-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Amazon has the exact same apps that Google has...get them from either ok. Other app stores? Sure. Lotta malware out there on Android apps. I'd be hesitant to go elsewhere.

Amazon's App store gives you a free App every day. Like in life competition benefits the consumer. As an Android user if you decide that you only want to trust Google, then you don't have to leave their store ever and managing your phone from Google's "Play Store" couldn't be easier. But if you choose to go to Amazon or install them directly on your phone you can. When Apple Fanboys were saying that Flash is bad and they were glad that iPhones didn't have it, they missed the point that you "could" have it on Android but you didn't have to have it. You as the consumer are free to compromise your battery life for extra performance if you "choose".

Android has a lot of problems will malware. Apple does not.

I have been on Android for nearly 3 years. I have never had a problem with malware. I am not saying that malware doesn't exist but that it isn't the plaguing epidemic you make it out to be.

There are some nice things about iPhones and outside of the Droid Razr Maxx the battery life is usually better with iPhones. The glass iPhones use (although are more prone to crack than Gorilla Glass commonly used in iPhones) has a much nicer feel than the Gorilla Glass. Anyway there are some great things about iPhones but to try and build iPhones but by putting down Android is a loosing argument. Android is pretty awesome.

Iceaxe
07-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Android has a lot of problems will malware. Apple does not.

:roll:

You really are a fan-boi, or have zero understanding of what you are talking about, not exactly sure which. But anyhoo.... nice scare tactics.

But just so you know it really works a lot more like this..... As long are you are getting your apps form a reliable source (iStore, Play Store, Amazon) where the apps are checked and monitored you chances of getting malware are about the same (small). And if you believe the iPhone is immune to malware just google "iPhone malware" and start reading.

And I'm not sure about every Android phone, but the last phone I received was actually restricted to only downloading apps from the Play Store, unless you granted it permission to received apps for an outside source.

Now the great strength, and biggest weakness is the Android phone can download apps from any source (provided you grant it permission to do so). And it's these outside sources that have a problem with malware.

So bottom-line if you stay in the iStore sandbox or the Play Store sandbox and never venture outside to play you are relatively safe from malware. The big difference is with the iPhone you don't have a choice, your mommy will always restrict you to the iStore sandbox and never let you venture into the real world, but with the Android you can cut the apron stings and share, write, use and distribute apps if you feel confident enough to do so.

I really like both systems and believe both are best, but it depends on the individual which is best for them.

Yes, the Android has more probelms, but it also has more power and freedom. With more power and freedom comes comes more indivdual responsiblity.

:cool2:

rockgremlin
07-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Time to sling some more shit.....the following come from the latest Consumer Reports rankings...

Top Cell Phones by Service Provider
Consumer Reports (August 2012)

Verizon

Droid Razor Maxx
Droid Razor
Droid Bionic
LG Spectrum
Droid 4

....10. iPhone 4S

Sprint

HTC Evo 4G LTE
Photon 4G
Galaxy S2 Epic
LG Viper
Samsung Epic 4G
iPhone 4S

T-Mobile

HTC One S
Galaxy S2
Galaxy S
HTC Amaze 4G
HTC Sensation 4G

[B]

stefan
07-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Time to sling some more shit.....the following come from the latest Consumer Reports rankings...

Top Cell Phones by Service Provider
Consumer Reports (August 2012)

as with any phone/tablet/computer (and/or operating system) the experience of using such is a highly personal and subjective one, and preference depends largely on what one is interested in or values more (course, sometimes it may not be clear until you've used many to get a good sense). diversity is a great thing and no one system is better or more superior for all people.

i think it would be more useful to understand what criteria consumer reports is specifically using to make their rankings and how important/relevant they are to you. i don't know much about it but here is a very brief statement from them from last fall regarding the iphone and rankings relative to other phones.

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2011/11/consumer-reports-recommends-the-iphone-4s.html

regarding screen size which the article mentions, the new iphone is rumored to have a larger screen but the official details of the phone haven't been announced yet.

accadacca
07-17-2012, 11:50 AM
I'd like to see the release date listed next to each phone. The iPhone 4S was launched on October 4, 2011. I have no idea, but I would bet that most of the phones listed and rated higher are far newer. My money will be on the iPhone 5. Surprised!?!? :lol8:

Lets revisit the charts then... :popcorn:

DiscGo
07-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Droid Razr Maxx was released last December.

Iceaxe
07-17-2012, 01:32 PM
I'd like to see the release date listed next to each phone. The iPhone 4S was launched on October 4, 2011.

Samsung Galaxy S2 on AT&T
November 6, 2011

FYI: This morning I updated the wife's Galaxy S2 up to the new ICS OS (Ice Cream Sandwich) though Samsungs website and it works awesome. The update is a "must do". And the update is a "can't live without" if you happen to drive a Toyota with the new enTune navigation and sound system. The new software eliminates all the old problems encountered between the Samsung and Toyota systems.

To do it visit the Samsumg website and download their latest Kies software to your computer. Plug your phone in with a USB cable and the program will tell you new firmware is available and ask if you want to update.

Enjoy...

Iceaxe
07-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Also.... last night I rooted the wifes Kindle Fire because I got tired of not being able to run apps of my choosing. I hate that walled garden crap...

I was able to than side load in the banking apps she always uses that were not part of the Amazon store, but were in the Android Play Store.

I was also able to side load the Climb-Utah app on her Kindle.
Android Climb-Utah App

(https://play.google.com/store/search?q=climbutah)And here is the APK file so you can side load if you prefer
http://www.appsgeyser.com/getwidget/ClimbUtah

nelsonccc
07-17-2012, 02:46 PM
I love my Iphone. Used to have an android phone but it seemed so slow and cumbersome (software) and it was always having issues. Seemed like it took forever to do anything with it. I'd say go Iphone over android any day. For example a group of us guys mtn bike several times a week. And we all run Strava and other cycle apps. They are always talking about how they're phone droid x and galaxy lack the same accuracy or even the same features as my phone. The one guys droid is dead after a 10 mile ride with GPS running. My iphone will only use up 20% of the battery and the apps all seem to be nicer with better features almost as if their android apps are barely-there ports from the apple app. I don't use Itunes for anything. I put torrent movies and music on there all the time.

My .02 cents.

Iceaxe
07-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Used to have an android phone

I've been playing around a lot the past few days with different Android phones and devices (rooting, flashing, yada, yada). I gathered up a couple older Androids to try some differnt things on (didn't want to brick my good phone).

Anyhoo.... One thing I can say for certian, and that is not all Android phones are created equal. If you buy an Android spent the extra couple of bucks and go current top of the line. The better performance is very noticable.

And comparing and old Android to a new Apple is like.... well..... comparing and old Apple to a new Android... :cool2:

And as I mentioned before, the new ICS 4.0 operating system is a real kick in the ass to any Android device. Anyone with an Android should look into upgrading their OS. The upgrade is free if it is offered.

What is Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
http://www.android.com/about/ice-cream-sandwich/

MY T PIMP
07-17-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm going with the Galaxy and here's why;

My wife has an I-phone, she accidentally dropped it into the toilet. I don't think it was in for more than 2 seconds, and what do you know the phone was trashed, given my wife has some wicked acidic piss that will melt schedule 40 carbon steel, but 2 seconds in the toilet and trashed c'mon.

A week and 1/2 ago my family stayed at the Aquarius motel in Bicknell, my mobile phone rang while I was changing into my swimsuit. For some stupid reason I stuck it in my pocket and went swimming. This phone is only a 2 month old Samsung Galaxy Blaze. After swimming for 20 minutes I felt something bounce against my hip and my heart literally fell out my ass. My phone had suffered depths of 6' for 20 minutes, I had allready resigned myself to a spendy repair or replacement. But I dried it off with a blow-drier, let it sit without the back and batteryless overnight, and left it in the dash of my truck during a parade, which I felt would evaporate any liquid left in the phone. I then put it back together, and fired her up. The Galaxy started up and has ran with zero negative effects since. WAR, Samsung 20 minutes in a pool and you've sold me!

accadacca
07-17-2012, 03:43 PM
With water you have a 50/50 chance on ANY phone. They ALL will be waterproof soon though. Looking forward to that! :2thumbs:

DiscGo
07-17-2012, 04:25 PM
With water you have a 50/50 chance on ANY phone. They ALL will be waterproof soon though. Looking forward to that! :2thumbs:
Me too! I am super excited for when that is the norm. There are already companies (as you likely know) that will waterproof your existing device but there are a fair number of limitations of what you can do with it. I want to be able to put my tablet or my phone under water in my hot tub and watch a movie in hot tub using my snorkel and mask. That may sound random but I have been dreaming of that for a long time. But I have also lost too many electronics to water and love the idea of my phone being safe from it.

accadacca
07-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Check out my new Android phone. Killer screen size! :lol8:

rockgremlin
06-01-2013, 12:51 AM
Gonna resurrect this thread. Back when I started it I was in sticker-shock at the data plans, and stuck with my basic phone. My employer has indicated they want me to have a smartphone and will foot the bill for whichever phone I choose.

Bad news: Now my employer has me on a short leash
Good news: Shopping Spreeee!!! :lol8:

I'm still leaning towards an Android phone. Maybe a Galaxy S3 --- unless you Apple geeks can convince me different. One key part of the data plan is that it must have the capability to shoot panoramic photos that can then be emailed to multiple recipients on the fly.

Discuss...

accadacca
06-01-2013, 12:54 AM
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/why-it-s-so-hard-to-understand-android-sucks-iphone-rules.png

rockgremlin
06-01-2013, 12:57 AM
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/why-it-s-so-hard-to-understand-android-sucks-iphone-rules.png

Here we go! :lol8: :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: Damn, you're a night owl too?

accadacca
06-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Tonight I am. Sitting in Vancouver finishing up some slides for a meeting tomorrow, only 1 AM here. What is your excuse!?!? Business and pleasure trip: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?68793-SLC-Vancouver-Rainier-Hood-Klamath-Falls-Etc
Also finishing up the next Bogley giveaway... :popcorn:

DOSS
06-01-2013, 06:14 AM
Gonna resurrect this thread. Back when I started it I was in sticker-shock at the data plans, and stuck with my basic phone. My employer has indicated they want me to have a smartphone and will foot the bill for whichever phone I choose.

Bad news: Now my employer has me on a short leash
Good news: Shopping Spreeee!!! :lol8:

I'm still leaning towards an Android phone. Maybe a Galaxy S3 --- unless you Apple geeks can convince me different. One key part of the data plan is that it must have the capability to shoot panoramic photos that can then be emailed to multiple recipients on the fly.

Discuss...

Having recently switched to an Iphone only for its low energy blue tooth capabilities (different from normal blue tooth) allowing me to use some specific speed and cadence sensors on my bike in conjunction with a low energy blue tooth heart Rate monitor. I have to say that I detest the apple app store, its like searching with a search engine that doesn't actually work, you have to search the web first and once you know the exact app you want then go to the app store.. that and it is slow, laggy etc.. The phone is nice but I would much prefer the openness of the android system.. Go with a Galaxy S3 and you won't be dissapointed.. the S4 is just too big. The pano photo thing can be done on any of the phones so that is not a issue.

Also don't go with a Windows phone just yet.. the new OS is really nice but there are just not enough apps to make it worth it..

blueeyes
06-01-2013, 06:20 AM
LOVE LOVE LOVE my S4 . Had the phone about a week now.

I thought the size would bother me and it doesn't but I carry a purse. It makes reading a document so much nicer. Camera is not exactly what I hoped for but I love everything else about the phone.

DOSS
06-01-2013, 06:43 AM
LOVE LOVE LOVE my S4 . Had the phone about a week now.

I thought the size would bother me and it doesn't but I carry a purse. It makes reading a document so much nicer. Camera is not exactly what I hoped for but I love everything else about the phone.

S4 does run nice but I have tablets for reading big stuff ;) but I can see if I had a purse how it wouldn't be as annoyingly big.. but it just doesn't fit in my pockets very well.

Iceaxe
06-01-2013, 07:47 AM
I have an S3 and love it, there is no other phone I'd rather have.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

rockgremlin
06-01-2013, 10:36 AM
I think the verdict is in....Galaxy S3 will be what I'm looking for. I love you guys. You always make arriving to a decision easy. :lol8:

Scott Card
06-01-2013, 01:17 PM
S3 owner.... you won't be disappointed. I love mine and I only know how to use about 7% of what it can do. :haha:

blueeyes
06-01-2013, 01:40 PM
S4 does run nice but I have tablets for reading big stuff ;) but I can see if I had a purse how it wouldn't be as annoyingly big.. but it just doesn't fit in my pockets very well.

I have avoided the tablet craze. Way back when PDA's first hit the market I had a few and really liked them. This S4 is pretty much like that with phone and camera. It suits me. The S3 probably would have been fine but I kinda wanted to try the latest and greatest this go round. I do find the camera disappointing, very finicky. Enjoy all of the ways I can personalize it. Air gestures are annoying. I do like the smart stay, as long as I am looking at the screen the phone won't go into sleep mode. Very fast, I like that. One thing that I would really like to bitch about was all the crap apps they put on the phone that I will NEVER use and just wasted battery life. But I have disabled all of them and the fact that by the time they load all that shit on there your internal 16GB card now only has usable 8GB. I would rather have just the basics and then let me decide what and when I want it on my phone. Don't prepackage that crap.

Iceaxe
06-01-2013, 02:10 PM
I do find the camera disappointing, very finicky.

It might be the app you don't like and not the camera. I had that issue with a phone. Try downloading and using a different camera app, you might find it's the app you dislike and not the camera.

FWIW: I like the app HDR Camera+ for my HDR camera app.

:popcorn:

REDFOX
06-01-2013, 10:02 PM
I have had the s3 since it came out last year. It is a great phone and camera. I have been looking at the s4, but I don't like the camera. As far as size, the physical size of the s3 and s4 are the same. The s4 screen is slightly larger and it weighs less and it has a faster processor. I found a leather holster at tricked out accessories that clips onto my belt. I can't have a phone in my pocket, I would destroy it leaning on ladders, carrying heavy pipe etc during work.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

DiscGo
06-02-2013, 07:41 AM
I think the verdict is in....Galaxy S3 will be what I'm looking for. I love you guys. You always make arriving to a decision easy. :lol8:

I have an S3 and I love it. But why wouldn't you get the S4 instead of the S3?

Sombeech
06-03-2013, 09:37 AM
If you're disappointed with the camera, make sure you've gone through all of the settings such as image quality and speed, maybe you've missed something. But for still scenic shots, I haven't been let down by the HDR camera app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almalence.hdr&hl=en

http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=61759&d=1354823733

http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=61760&d=1354823781

blueeyes
06-03-2013, 11:03 AM
The phone takes good pictures but is slow, and some of the modes are touchy for example with Drama it has hard time detecting moving object. Pano this morning on my ride wouldn't take a pic of rising sun because it couldn't detect enough detail. The bar-code app won't work. I have played around with ALL of the settings on the current camera app. I will try the HDR camera app and see what I think. I just really liked the idea of drama mode and love the mode where you can take a pic with front and back camera and have it overlay like a stamp like this.

I guess all of the fun modes are just gimmicky. Great ideas, but if they don't work like they say....why bother!

The camera was really the deciding factor in getting this phone. I will get over my disappointment. In the meantime I will down load the HDR app.

DiscGo
06-03-2013, 02:49 PM
blueeyes- I am disappointed by your feedback, because in my mind this is supposed to be the best phone ever.You have the phone, and I don't. So I can only go off of what I have read, seen online, and my own S3 experience. I have the S3 and the camera has never been slow, but I have noticed a large improvement in picture quality over the last couple of months than when I first got the phone. I believe that Samsung must have updated the driver to make the camera work better for the S3, hopefully something similar is coming down the pipeline for the S4.

bigred72
06-03-2013, 03:21 PM
I have the S3, for a camera phone, the S3 is great. Here are some shots in hdr, native phone app http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/04/devebe8a.jpg http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/04/2atypasy.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

blueeyes
06-03-2013, 04:28 PM
I have the S3, for a camera phone, the S3 is great. Here are some shots in hdr, native phone app http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/04/2atypasy.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

You take your phone into the canyon! Good lord mine would never come out alive!! I have killed two camera's in the canyons. One in Subway and last year I dropped my shockproof Fuji off the Mystery Springs rap. Well... the phone is not 100+ft shockproof in case anyone is wondering.

DiscGo I hope you are right. I went into the store a month ago and was interested in the S3 but after they told me about the camera on the S4 I waited. Quality wise it is great for just a point and shoot. But play with some of the foofoo features and it doesn't work like I imagined. One other mode I like is the beauty shot. The group shot where you can pick the best face works so so. I played around with it and a group of my daughters friends. It wouldn't pick up every face in the group. At least one person each time I was not able to pic best face. As long as I leave it on 8MP it is faster, but there is a noticeable difference in speed when you kick it up to 13MP. I am not really looking to take any amazing shots that I will blow up with this camera so 8 is sufficient.

Again just little annoyance things. I will say could be operator issues. But I don't think so. Still over all I love it.

Sombeech
06-04-2013, 12:59 AM
Chere, have you loaded it down with apps already by chance? How about the storage, is it running out of memory on a smaller, slower micro SD card? Try the Advanced Task Killer app, and see if that changes anything. Also see if you have the same types of problems after a fresh reboot of the phone.

The HDR camera app is great, but once again, it is NOT for moving objects, and you must be as still as possible when taking the shot for about 3-5 seconds.

rockgremlin
06-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Bogley.com can't even touch the quality and performance of iBogley.com

blueeyes
06-04-2013, 07:40 AM
Chere, have you loaded it down with apps already by chance? How about the storage, is it running out of memory on a smaller, slower micro SD card? Try the Advanced Task Killer app, and see if that changes anything. Also see if you have the same types of problems after a fresh reboot of the phone.

The HDR camera app is great, but once again, it is NOT for moving objects, and you must be as still as possible when taking the shot for about 3-5 seconds. Maybe this app isn't for me. I will try it eventually see how I like and report back.

No I don't think I have it loaded down with apps. In fact I disabled most of what comes stock on this phone 48 to be exact which you cannot uninstall for example Yahoo News and Yahoo Finance I will never use them together they take up 68KB but no option to uninstall so they are disabled. Do you have a suggestion for that? Am I missing something? I learned a new term with this phone BLOATWARE.... ridiculous.

First thing I did was load Advanced Task Killer app which I have played around with the settings. Currently set to auto kill 30 seconds after I shut the screen off and regular kill every 15 minutes. Out of the 16 GB it comes with 8GB was used before I did anything. Currently have 6.46 GB available and 4GB SD card with 2.9 available. Have air gesture and air view turned off, keep GPS off unless using it, auto bright is enabled, and only use one home screen for my favorite apps.

And using Advanced Task Killer improved its battery life immensely!! I have used this app since my first smart phone. Awesome app.