PDA

View Full Version : Silva VS. Sonnen II

rockgremlin
07-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Sonnen got robbed in their first fight (4 entire rounds of pounding the shit outta Silva's face), and and fight #2, he came out really strong in round one, looking like an encore of fight#1.....and then in round 2 it appeared that he just rolled over.

Of course it doesn't help that Silva was pulling some illegal moves from his his bag of Brazilian tricks. (holding on to Sonnen's shorts with one hand while punching him in the face with the other, and kneeing Sonnen in the face while he was on the mat. And all the while the ref standing there looking on, not a care in the world. The fix is in...

Byron
07-09-2012, 08:56 AM
I haven't paid much attention to MMA lately. I weigh 145 pounds soaking wet so I was more interested in the lighter guys. These dudes are heavyweights, right? I think Silva is supposed to be the super badass? So, corruption in the fighting industry, who would have thought? :naughty: I must say though, I've seen plenty of fights where it's obvious that each guy REALLY want to win. Not this one, eh? Too bad Sonnen didn't pull a Pulp Fiction.

rockgremlin
07-09-2012, 09:24 AM
I haven't paid much attention to MMA lately. I weigh 145 pounds soaking wet so I was more interested in the lighter guys. These dudes are heavyweights, right? I think Silva is supposed to be the super badass? So, corruption in the fighting industry, who would have thought? :naughty: I must say though, I've seen plenty of fights where it's obvious that each guy REALLY want to win. Not this one, eh? Too bad Sonnen didn't pull a Pulp Fiction.

Silva & Sonnen are middleweights...heavyweights are the likes of Brock Lesner, Junior Dos Santos, & The Natural Randy Couture.

Silva is supposed to be the badass, but instead (in my opinion) he riding atop an inflated ego, and sneering at the fighters that come out of the USA (Silva is from Brazil).

I Hate Silva, I wish he would move up a division so that the U.S. fighter Jon "Bones" Jones could kick the shit out of him, which he could do with one hand tied behind his back. Jones is a beast, I pity anyone who steps into the octagon with him.

nefariousdeeds
07-09-2012, 11:06 AM
56139Sonnen already said he could care less about the shorts being pulled. It was not a downed knee shot, the camera angle showed it that way. The shot hit his chest. Rumor on sherdog.com is that Sonnen is in talks with WWE. Seems fitting. :/

rockgremlin
07-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Sonnen already said he could care less about the shorts being pulled. It was not a downed knee shot, the camera angle showed it that way. The shot hit his chest. Rumor on sherdog.com is that Sonnen is in talks with WWE. Seems fitting. :/

AGHH....Quit trying to stifle my wicked disdain for Silva. Just let me calmly seethe in my unholy contempt for that Brazilian jungle-monkey.

He got his ass handed to him in the first fight, lets leave it at that....:angryfire:

denaliguide
07-09-2012, 04:56 PM
not to let the facts get in the way of a good rant. however i too watched that fight. sonnen gave it to him in round one for sure, sonnen was all over silva the whole round. the knee to the chest in round two is what finished it off. it was just a matter of a few more shots to the head to end the fight.

rockgremlin
07-10-2012, 06:49 AM
not to let the facts get in the way of a good rant. however i too watched that fight. sonnen gave it to him in round one for sure, sonnen was all over silva the whole round. the knee to the chest in round two is what finished it off. it was just a matter of a few more shots to the head to end the fight.

Yeah that first round was epic....I was on my feet yelling the whole time. I almost had to go change my pants. But then round two came in as a major buzzkill.

I still can't figure out how a knee to the chest could take out Sonnen...he came into the fight so strong. Unless Silva nailed him in the solar plexus. But then Sonnen was sitting against the fence with his hands in the air looking like a schoolboy trying to stop the oncoming bully.

Part of me suspects Sonnen was just rolling over, conceding defeat. :facepalm1:

denaliguide
07-10-2012, 12:29 PM
i figured the knee knocked the wind out of him. when i have had the wind knocked out of me i just flop around on the ground like a fish out of water.

hike2kolob
07-10-2012, 09:06 PM
UFC 148 was the first pay-per-view fight that I ever paid for personally. I got caught up in the whole, "most anticipated UFC fight ever." I also was intrigued by the trash talking. I really like the UFC product and am amazed that these dudes step into the octogon to really pound on each other, or sadly, break each other's arms. I can't watch the replays when they show those in gory slow-mo.

I am a fan of Silva. He may not be the toughest guy out there but he has amazing skills. I think the "spider" is very apt in the way he pounces when he sees an opening. He is lightening quick. Compare Silva to the Griffin-Ortiz fight. It seems that Ortiz had Griffin a couple of times but could not get his ass over there on top of Griffin fast enough to take advantage of the damage he had done.

Sonnen did dominate the first round, but it didn't seem like he was doing any damage because of Silva pulling him close the entire time, even after Sonnen got a full-mount. Though five rounds of that and it would have been decision-Sonnen. Overall it was a decent fight, but over too quick. I wish it would have gone on longer though to see more of Sonnen's take-downs up against Silva's take-down defenses. I also didn't really care for the kumbaya-we-all-love-each-other after the fight. It makes me feel like I was WWE'd into paying for the fight.

One match we laughed about was the honey badger (Mendes) vs. the bean pole (McKenzie). I joked that it looked like McKenzie trained by eating Frosted Flakes in the morning and then practicing his rear naked choke. Sure enough, one leg grab and a punch to the Solar Plex 31 seconds in and McKenzie was done. McKenzie looked straight from the deliverance cast. I wish I could have seen him win a fight. :lol8: