PDA

View Full Version : Power of Prayer and Fasting

MY T PIMP
07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
I know plenty out there will dismiss this as coincidence, but this last weekend LDS church leaders called upon members to put special significance in their prayers and fasting toward the State of Utah's fire problems. I'm not aware if any other faiths did the same but very well may have. Anyways in as dry of a summer as it has been it's pretty ironic to see such a nice rainy day today. No matter how we got it, we can all agree it was sure some welcomed and well needed moisture. Thank You Lord!:hail2thechief:

Scott Card
07-05-2012, 05:11 PM
X2 :2thumbs:

double moo
07-05-2012, 05:28 PM
In 1994 we had a terrible drought in southen Utah. The local brethren called on the saints to fast and pray for rain. Several week later it finally rained - FWIW July is the start of the Monsoon season and we always get rain in the southwest. Everyone praised God and was happy.

The storms continued across the US causing death and great destruction throughout the Mississippi waterways. Farms lost, bridges gone, interstate shipping slowed to a crawl as the country was divided by high waters.

Were we to blame for the incredible loss of property and life? Did God choose our small communities over the greater good of the country? What about the saints back east praying for an end to the rains?

Sorry to piss on your parade, but it's Easier to believe in coincidence and good luck than blame ourselves for the unintended consequences of our actions!

Scott Card
07-05-2012, 05:56 PM
FWIW, here is the actual statement that was read to those attending L.D.S. church meetings last Sunday.

"As requested by Utah Governor Gary R. Herbert, the Church is pleased to come together in prayer with other Utahns during this difficult time. We are mindful of those in Utah and neighboring states who have been impacted by wildfires. We encourage individuals, families and congregations to pray for the safety of firefighters, protection of lives and homes and favorable weather conditions to help control the many wildfires currently burning."

Call it good luck or a blessing, we can at least agree that this little bit of rain is all good.

double moo
07-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Agreed, This rain is fantastic! And greatly helping our current water/fire situation.

DiscGo
07-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Great post MY T PIMP (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?8-MY-T-PIMP)

rockgremlin
07-06-2012, 02:02 PM
See if praying for snow in July works. :mrgreen:

Iceaxe
07-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Right now I'm praying for a sandwich and a beer.... I'll let ya'll know how that works out for me.

Rob L
07-06-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm not religious, so I think it's all down to Karma. Or is that Kama Sutra, I get so confused with this hindu stuff.

Here at home it's unusually cool enough to turn the heating on. Next week I'm meeting Cheeseheads in Wisconsin :slobber:

Sombeech
07-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey guys I just picked up a sandwich and a beer for somebody but they didn't write their name.

blueeyes
07-06-2012, 08:18 PM
See if praying for snow in July works. :mrgreen:

I have done this! And it worked..... :rock:

in my dreams. :skiing:

Scott P
07-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Same fast was held here in Craig Colorado. We've been even drier than most of Utah, even well over twice as dry as the next driest year in the past 118 years when record keeping began.

Yesterday, even though a seemingly small 0.17 inches of rain fell, it was still the wettest day we've had since November 19 2011. It rained several places around here today and there is a pretty good chance of rain tomorrow.

Call it coincidence if you want, but it sure was impeccable timing considering that the same week the fast was held, the biggest rain in almost 8 months finally came. :wink:

Iceaxe
07-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Right now I'm praying for a sandwich and a beer.... I'll let ya'll know how that works out for me.

Just a quick update.... the hot young stripper wife brought me a beer while wearing nothing but a smile.... buy I'm still waiting for my sandwich..... maybe I'm praying wrong or something?

BruteForce
07-06-2012, 10:54 PM
http://programwitch.com/images/epic-face-palm-18693937099.jpeg

double moo
07-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Did somebody pray for spam?

Iceaxe? Was it a spam sandwich you were hankering for? You need to learn to read the signs....

Iceaxe
07-07-2012, 10:01 AM
spammer has been banned for life..... still no sandwich....

double moo
07-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Lap-Banned... No sandwich!

By banning said spam it make my well thought out comments look rather stupid.

Iceaxe
07-08-2012, 08:41 AM
I'm starting to become a believer.... my sweet daughter just brought me a smoked turkey an avacado sandwich... Mmmm so good....

rockgremlin
07-09-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm starting to become a believer.... my sweet daughter just brought me a smoked turkey an avacado sandwich... Mmmm so good....

.....flattery in sandwich form. I foresee her asking you for something in the near future.

denaliguide
07-09-2012, 05:03 PM
hey our prayers must have gotten mixed in the mail. i got your sandwich, and you got my naked stripper. :roflol:

Just a quick update.... the hot young stripper wife brought me a beer while wearing nothing but a smile.... buy I'm still waiting for my sandwich..... maybe I'm praying wrong or something?

rockgremlin
07-10-2012, 06:42 AM
hey our prayers must have gotten mixed in the mail. i got your sandwich, and you got my naked stripper. :roflol:

Wife swap! Proof that God looks kindly on polygamy AND adultery! :fitz:

UTJetdog
07-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Right now I'm praying for a sandwich and a beer....

So much for your fasting... :fitz: :haha:

Don
07-12-2012, 07:50 AM
When I clicked I expected a more pious thread, but all this talk about sandwiches and strippers makes me feel right at home. Thanks.
Also this;

rockgremlin
07-12-2012, 08:15 AM
^^^ :roflol:Sooooooo true!

jman
07-12-2012, 08:43 AM
It's interesting - one guy posts his beliefs and how he feels about things, and then a few join in and nearly ridicule those beliefs. Some would call it "jesting", or "just teasing" but I prefer the better, fun word - "bigotry".

rockgremlin
07-12-2012, 09:15 AM
It's interesting - one guy posts his beliefs and how he feels about things, and then a few join in and nearly ridicule those beliefs. Some would call it "jesting", or "just teasing" but I prefer the better, fun word - "bigotry".

Who let the party pooper in here? :roll:

Tell ya what -- you post your personal private beliefs on a public forum and you're just askin for all kinds of scrutiny and ridicule. How did you think it was to be received -- not everyone believes in God nor are religious.

Don
07-12-2012, 09:35 AM

I understand that a literal-believer has a good-versus-evil mindset that leads to them feeling that any non-believer is out to get them. And of course this black-and-white-world mindset makes it impossible for the believer to comprehend that the people don't believe the things they do actually have good or well-thought-out reasons for believing differently. From within that one-truth mindset any difference of opinion must be caused by the evil opponent. Anyone who believes differently must have been tricked or fooled by the evil-opponent, or they are in fact evil themselves.
So of course anyone offering a different opinion must therefore be trying to trick or attack the believer. To mention the difference of opinion in front of a believer MUST be an attack! Must be bigotry!
So, my question is; what do you have against my lord's sandwiches and strippers?

rockgremlin
07-12-2012, 09:43 AM
I understand that a literal-believer has a good-versus-evil mindset that leads to them feeling that any non-believer is out to get them. And of course this black-and-white-world mindset makes it impossible for the believer to comprehend that the people don't believe the things they do actually have good or well-thought-out reasons for believing differently. From within that one-truth mindset any difference of opinion must be caused by the evil opponent. Anyone who believes differently must have been tricked or fooled by the evil-opponent, or they are in fact evil themselves.
So of course anyone offering a different opinion must therefore be trying to trick or attack the believer. To mention the difference of opinion in front of a believer must, MUST be an attack! Must be bigotry!
So, my question is; what do you have against my lord's sandwiches and strippers?

^^^this

jman
07-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Who let the party pooper in here? :roll:

Tell ya what -- you post your personal private beliefs on a public forum and you're just askin for all kinds of scrutiny and ridicule. How did you think it was to be received -- not everyone believes in God nor are religious.

Thanks for proving my point, btw.

Shocking, I didn't realize the were people who don't believe in a higher power, etc.

Sure, it's the internet, and anything goes. I get that. And you are welcome to cheat on your wife, and believe in what you want.

However, there are many other known agnostics, athiests on Bogley and they have, what do you old-timers call it - discipline. Tom (ratagonia), for example, doesn't jump in and throw out his bias on someone else's pro-belief/faith/God thread. I would think he has respect. Sure he doesn't agree with what others,or myself choose to believe in, and that's fine. But he has respect - that's the key difference. Catch my drift?

Don
07-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Shocking, I didn't realize the were people who don't believe in a higher power, etc.

Sure, it's the internet, and anything goes. I get that. And you are welcome to cheat on your wife, and believe in what you want.

However, there are many other known agnostics, athiests on Bogley and they have, what do you old-timers call it - discipline. Tom (ratagonia), for example, doesn't jump in and throw out his bias on someone else's pro-belief/faith/God thread. I would think he has respect. Sure he doesn't agree with what others,or myself choose to believe in, and that's fine. But he has respect - that's the key difference. Catch my drift?

If you're allowed to hate the sin and love the sinner, then I chose to respect the believer and disrespect the belief.

rockgremlin
07-12-2012, 09:52 AM

You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah you're right, I talk too much; I also listen too much. I can be a cold-hearted cynic like you, but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. You think what you want about me. I'm not changing. I like me, my wife likes me, my customers like me because I'm the real article. what you see is what you get.

jman
07-12-2012, 09:56 AM
So of course anyone offering a different opinion must therefore be trying to trick or attack the believer. To mention the difference of opinion in front of a believer MUST be an attack! Must be bigotry!

Interesting. It's interesting to me how you got that conclusion, when I was implying respect. If this was a Faith thread, or a do you believe in God thread, or what do you believe in thread - than anything goes. And I'm 100% fine with that.

However, Pimp started the thread with a Pro-belief stance. Something that, non-believers, simply can't resist, or am I wrong about that? Did you HAVE to enter the thread and post your comments - of course not. So obviously, you had a differing opinion and it HAD to be shared. Of course, you could of started a "COINCIDENCE OF PRAYER AND RAIN" thread and said whatever you want. And that would of 100% acceptable to say what you believe in.

Here's a great example: I love Iron Maiden. I watch a lot youtube clips with Iron Maiden. A lot of comments in the Iron Maiden clips, songs are all about how Iron Maiden sucks, they are old, whatever, etc. Did us Iron Maiden fans, ask for these people to join our conservations where they OBVIOUSLY knew that we were fans? Of course not. You know why? Cause they have no respect for each other.

I have friends who have chosen different beliefs over their life and we get along great. We respect each other and what the other one believes/chooses to follow/etc. We never imply that the other person is an idiot or make fun of them, or ridicule what they choose to believe. Go figure.

Ian, one of my best friends, is agnostic. He has been to my church many times when my friends have invited him too. He has also declined many invites as well. Whenever religion comes up he has his words and shares his thoughts, and never shares them in a condescending way. Visa versa.

jman
07-12-2012, 10:00 AM
You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah you're right, I talk too much; I also listen too much. I can be a cold-hearted cynic like you, but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. You think what you want about me. I'm not changing. I like me, my wife likes me, my customers like me because I'm the real article. what you see is what you get.

Hurt you? That's quite the jump from, ridiculing someone's belief or as Don calls it "disrepect the belief". I didn't attack you personally. I'm defending someone's right to share what they believe in, without attack. Of course, you don't have to agree but do it without attacking or making the other person feel like an idiot for choosing those beliefs. That's the difference.

rockgremlin
07-12-2012, 10:09 AM

Let's clear the air and take a deep breath for a second. Maturity and respect also dictates that in the face of persecution that the persecuted not lash back with further insults and name-calling (Bigots). Nobody here wants to hurt anyone's feelings. The intent of this thread has been hashed out in the first page. This is the after party, and it includes me, Don and Iceaxe in the middle of the mosh pit seeing who can outwit who. Then you come in and drop a bunch of insults on us. It's a bummer. I don't think you're stupid, I'm not out to get anyone here. Just some innocent banter, that's all.

Still friends? <extending hand>

rockgremlin
07-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Hurt you? That's quite the jump from, ridiculing someone's belief or as Don calls it "disrepect the belief". I didn't attack you personally. I'm defending someone's right to share what they believe in, without attack. Of course, you don't have to agree but do it without attacking or making the other person feel like an idiot for choosing those beliefs. That's the difference.

Google my quote dude.....:haha:

Don
07-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Interesting. It's interesting to me how you got that conclusion, when I was implying respect. If this was a Faith thread, or a do you believe in God thread, or what do you believe in thread - than anything goes. And I'm 100% fine with that.

However, Pimp started the thread with a Pro-belief stance. Something that, non-believers, simply can't resist, or am I wrong about that? Did you HAVE to enter the thread and post your comments - of course not. So obviously, you had a differing opinion and it HAD to be shared. Of course, you could of started a "COINCIDENCE OF PRAYER AND RAIN" thread and said whatever you want. And that would of 100% acceptable to say what you believe in.

Here's a great example: I love Iron Maiden. I watch a lot youtube clips with Iron Maiden. A lot of comments in the Iron Maiden clips, songs are all about how Iron Maiden sucks, they are old, whatever, etc. Did us Iron Maiden fans, ask for these people to join our conservations where they OBVIOUSLY knew that we were fans? Of course not. You know why? Cause they have no respect for each other.

I have friends who have chosen different beliefs over their life and we get along great. We respect each other and what the other one believes/chooses to follow/etc. We never imply that the other person is an idiot or make fun of them, or ridicule what they choose to believe. Go figure.

Ian, one of my best friends, is agnostic. He has been to my church many times when my friends have invited him too. He has also declined many invites as well. Whenever religion comes up he has his words and shares his thoughts, and never shares them in a condescending way. Visa versa.

The comment that started this tread sounds a lot like a "COINCIDENCE OF PRAYER AND RAIN" thread. Here it is quoted, with my highlights in bold to emphasis this point.

"I know plenty out there will dismiss this as coincidence, but this last weekend LDS church leaders called upon members to put special significance in their prayers and fasting toward the State of Utah's fire problems. I'm not aware if any other faiths did the same but very well may have. Anyways in as dry of a summer as it has been it's pretty ironic to see such a nice rainy day today. No matter how we got it, we can all agree it was sure some welcomed and well needed moisture. Thank You Lord!"

Yeah, he ended the post with his opinion by thanking his lord. But I don't see anything in that original post that would discourage a conversation on the topic. In fact it reads more like an invitation to discuss (which would make sense since the comment was posted on a public forum).

Additionally, I don't see the implication of respect in your earlier post. Again, in quotes:

"It's interesting - one guy posts his beliefs and how he feels about things, and then a few join in and nearly ridicule those beliefs. Some would call it "jesting", or "just teasing" but I prefer the better, fun word - "bigotry"."

That reads to me more like you are implying that any difference of opinion posted in response to Pimp's posting is ridicule and bigotry. Maybe you could have phrased things differently? Or included the word 'respect' or some sentiment about respect, if that was your implication...

If you want to share your opinion about god, or music, or strippers with sandwiches in a public forum why would you expect people who have a different opinion to just shut up and listen? If you want to talk to only people who agree with you there are plenty of Christian-only forums out there. I'm not on those forums attacking beliefs, I'm on a public forum discussing beliefs.

And your right; Iron Maiden IS a great example; I tend to think Iron Maiden sucks, does saying so become an attack or bigotry when I mention it after you have already mentioned you like them? Or is it just a difference of opinion and something we could further discuss by sharing what you like or what I don't like about them?

jman
07-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Let's clear the air and take a deep breath for a second. Maturity and respect also dictates that in the face of persecution that the persecuted not lash back with further insults and name-calling (Bigots). Nobody here wants to hurt anyone's feelings. The intent of this thread has been hashed out in the first page. This is the after party, and it includes me, Don and Iceaxe in the middle of the mosh pit seeing who can outwit who. Then you come in and drop a bunch of insults on us. It's a bummer. I don't think you're stupid, I'm not out to get anyone here. Just some innocent banter, that's all.

Still friends? <extending hand>

The intent has been hashed out in the first page? I disagree, as this thread keeps popping up the top of the page (before I posted).

Sure I could of not said anything, you are absolutely right. I chose not to, in a pro-faith topic. Disrespect is something I don't handle well. Go figure. It's one of my weaknesses in life I suppose.

rockgremlin
07-12-2012, 10:41 AM
The intent has been hashed out in the first page? I disagree, as this thread keeps popping up the top of the page (before I posted).

Sure I could of not said anything, you are absolutely right. I chose not to, in a pro-faith topic. Disrespect is something I don't handle well. Go figure. It's one of my weaknesses in life I suppose.

Hmmmm I was kinda hoping that me and John Candy could get a giggle outta you. Man you're a tough crowd.

Don
07-12-2012, 10:47 AM
I just came across this on FB and it made me laugh.

rockgremlin
07-12-2012, 11:21 AM

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DIqwX5bkOE

and again in Family Guy format:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E6bnb4IOE8

BTW I'm praying this thread will end soon as all the fun has been drained out of it.

Iceaxe
07-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Religion is like a penis.

It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.

But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around, and please don't try to shove it down the thoats for others.

Scott Card
07-12-2012, 12:49 PM
[video=youtube;3DIqwX5bkOE]

BTW I'm praying this thread will end soon as all the fun has been drained out of it.

I would just like to point out that it was not the lawyer that killed the fun here.....at least this time. :haha:

Hey Jman, as one believer to another, relax. We all have our opinions. That is a VERY good thing to have opinions and be able to share them, as offensive as some are. I agree that respect and civility are desired traits and traits that are lacking in society in general.

In a book we both believe in, is says,

"Now there was no law against a aman (http://www.bogley.com/forum/#)’s bbelief (http://www.bogley.com/forum/#); for it was strictly contrary to the commands of God that there should be a law which should bring men on to unequal grounds."

That last phrase about bringing "men on to unequal grounds" is quite profound and one that both sides of any heated argument can agree to --- freedom of religion and freedom of speech -- we must have both those freedoms. No time to preach a sermon here on that issue. But, I have no problem with anyone's beliefs. I just have to remember that when I render an opinion, I can't predict the reaction, well I can here on this website but that is beside the point. :haha: Also, those who believe that there is a God usually derive respect for others from that belief, at least I do. Those who don't believe in God derive respect from something else like intellect, strength, wealth, ablilty to down several beers and then have a Youtube moment, whatever. Jman, you and I hold our beliefs as sacred. Others don't and that is OK. It doesn't change my beliefs or the sacredness of those beliefs. How I choose to express my beliefs either by word or example is what I am most concerned about.

Do I believe my prayers, your prayers and many, many other prayers were answered last week with the rain? Yes. Does it matter to me that others don't share that belief? Not really.

Scott Card
07-12-2012, 12:51 PM
I COULD GET OFFENDED AT ICE'S COMMENTS BUT I WON'T BECAUSE HE PROBABLY SAID TO HIS COWORKER, "HERE, HOLD MY BEER -- WATCH WHAT I AM GOING TO TYPE." :haha:

Iceaxe
07-12-2012, 02:00 PM
To those I have offended I legitimately feel bad..... Well, not really, but if I were a good person I would feel bad.

rockgremlin
07-12-2012, 02:06 PM
To those I have offended I legitimately feel bad..... Well, not really, but if I were a good person I would feel bad.

Sounds like a quote from Louis C.K. :haha:

Sombeech
07-12-2012, 03:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DIqwX5bkOE

double moo
07-12-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm just looking for names to help out the Midwesterners and their class action suit against the Pray'ers for their loss of life and property. Farmers vs Fasters et, al.

Lighten up Francis!

DOSS
07-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Umm I think the prideful claims that the prayers and fasting brought the rain to put out fires have caused the powers that be to start even more fires with lightning across the state.. Could you please do some more praying and fasting but this time without the prideful boasting that angers the big man.. thanks :facepalm1:

rockgremlin
07-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Umm I think the prideful claims that the prayers and fasting brought the rain to put out fires have caused the powers that be to start even more fires with lightning across the state.. Could you please do some more praying and fasting but this time without the prideful boasting that angers the big man.. thanks :facepalm1:

too funny :haha:

double moo
07-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Screw fasting... Bring me some frogs, and a sammich

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5igXwMm77GWOj292bVxU4pm_W2VHA?docId=0ccf84fc2 1374b2a801f06b741bbfd48

rockgremlin
07-16-2012, 07:40 AM

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5igXwMm77GWOj292bVxU4pm_W2VHA?docId=0ccf84fc2 1374b2a801f06b741bbfd48

And some roots, and just lay me down in this here dirty creek, mmmmmm.

Don
07-16-2012, 10:47 AM

Eh, I'll bet you can't prove it doesn't work... :wink:

rockgremlin
07-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Geez, those crazy frog lovers should get together with that crazy gay-fearing lady from North Dakota, and go bowling.

double moo
07-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Eh, I'll bet you can't prove it doesn't work... :wink:

Just like Indian rain dances and human sacrifices...

DiscGo
07-16-2012, 03:05 PM
I was once discussing nature with an athiest friend of mine and we were talking about slot canyons. I explained to my friend that it was actually hiking the Zion narrows for the first time that I gained my own belief (testimony) of God. He told me that when he sees the narrows he sees an area where flowing water has carved through stone for long periods of time. I told him that just because he is right does not mean I am wrong. In the end you can choose to believe that everything is a coincidence but I personally have seen evidence in my life that there is a God and he watches over me.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?36364-Need-some-input-on-When-God-intervenes-on-your-behalf/page4

Sombeech
07-16-2012, 11:46 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m78jy1uWcY1qd5giho1_500.jpg

Deathcricket
07-17-2012, 07:51 AM

rockgremlin
07-17-2012, 08:09 AM
^^^This reminds me of a bit by my favorite comedian Louis C.K.

SKIP TO 9:19 -- Contains vulgarities, listen with earphones on if at work. The whole bit is hilarious, but 9:19 is where the religious stuff comes in..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpaCQKJpE9k