PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks Ban

accadacca
06-27-2012, 09:12 PM
I have heard that some cities are banning them. I hate to be a scrooge, but seeing all these fireworks booths makes me nervous.

Mtnseeker1
06-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Seeing the idiots in line at them make me more nervous:haha:

restrac2000
06-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Several of my friends use to work a volunteer SAR in Colorado and spent many of their holidays chasing spot fires from fireworks. And those were dry years.

Not sure why we can't have emergency measures to ban the sale of such items. Booths are all over Cedar.

Sombeech
06-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Time to break out the tater gun!

Iceaxe
06-27-2012, 10:44 PM
I just found a large box of morters in my garage tonight while looking for a paint brush.... I thick they are left over from when I hit the exacta at Wyoming Downs a few years back. I spent most my winnings on WY beer and fireworks, the rest of the money I just wasted..... anyhoo I was thinking where/when I should light them off.

Sombeech
06-27-2012, 10:53 PM
I've never understood why suburb neighborhoods and cities have ever had bans on fireworks. Mountains and foothills? Sure.

But I just can't imagine West Valley City or Ogden having a raging fire melting all of the sidewalks and shrubbery.

denaliguide
06-28-2012, 01:32 AM
I just found a large box of morters in my garage tonight while looking for a paint brush.... I thick they are left over from when I hit the exacta at Wyoming Downs a few years back. I spent most my winnings on WY beer and fireworks, the rest of the money I just wasted..... anyhoo I was thinking where/when I should light them off.

only place i might feel safe is the salt flats.

Mtnseeker1
06-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Bans only tend to move the danger out to more dangerous areas:amazon:

Iceaxe
06-28-2012, 06:20 AM
I can see Draper going up in flames like Colorado Springs. Just look at South Mountain and all the scrub oak in the open spaces between homes. And once a fire storm starts there is no stopping it.

DOSS
06-28-2012, 06:45 AM
I've never understood why suburb neighborhoods and cities have ever had bans on fireworks. Mountains and foothills? Sure.

But I just can't imagine West Valley City or Ogden having a raging fire melting all of the sidewalks and shrubbery.

well after passing at least 5 different burnt out areas on the jordan river parkway between Midvale and I80 I would say that there are some things in the area that will burn.. such as peoples trees, fields, crap along the parkway, your neighbors house...

rockgremlin
06-28-2012, 07:15 AM

Well, it happened in Chicago in 1871. :lol8:

I can't understand the logic there either. I could get behind a ban in the foothills and outlying rural areas, but not in the middle of the concrete jungle.

Personally I believe that some of these fires are the handiwork of arsonists - the fires are too sporadic, with no apparent ignition source.

restrac2000
06-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Historically, more damage happens within cities limits do to fireworks than in wild lands and open space. Deaths are low but more than 20,000 fires a year start from fireworks, which is extreme considering the limited season of their legal use. Of those fires, at least 80% happen within municipalities and non-wildland fires.

So....seems fair to at least raise the issue of banning fireworks within cities during times of extreme drought. Or at least mandating sales tax that helps municipalities recuperate the $40 million they spend annually on fireworks caused fires.

accadacca
06-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Cant come into neighborhoods? :eek2:

Picture from Coloradohttp://director.denverpost.com/p.php?a=QnN%2BZXxVTXp2b1Q1IT0zJUhaUSswPz8uPjY5LTcm NzkiPjgmJjo%2FMTonNyMoMScyJiMrPDs%3D&m=1340901274

More here: http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter

tallsteve
06-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Highland City, where I live, placed a ban only in some ares of the city. My neighborhood is not included in the ban and I am scared to death. We have a small hollow at the backside of our property, full of scrub oak, sagebrush and cheat-grass. It will only take 1 errant firework to set it a blaze. I told my wife we are setting our emergency kits by the front door, ready to go.

BruteForce
06-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Sitting on the patio last night, heard nothing but bottle rockets to my North (in South Jordan).. followed by fire trucks. I fear for what 4 July will look like! :nono:

Sombeech
06-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Just heard the Governor speaking on the ban - "other than in incorporated cities". :2thumbs:

Then it's up to each city, as it should be.

rockgremlin
06-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Cant come into neighborhoods? :eek2:

Picture from Coloradohttp://director.denverpost.com/p.php?a=QnN%2BZXxVTXp2b1Q1IT0zJUhaUSswPz8uPjY5LTcm NzkiPjgmJjo%2FMTonNyMoMScyJiMrPDs%3D&m=1340901274

More here: http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter

This looks shopped to me. Too many colors swirling around and blending into each other. I'm not saying it IS shopped, just saying it LOOKS like it is. Also, some houses are completely burnt to the ground - and all the surrounding trees appear to be unscathed.

restrac2000
06-29-2012, 10:22 AM
This looks shopped to me. Too many colors swirling around and blending into each other. I'm not saying it IS shopped, just saying it LOOKS like it is. Also, some houses are completely burnt to the ground - and all the surrounding trees appear to be unscathed.

Fires don't always burn the entire area to the ground, especially with high winds and major spot fires. I am going to guess many of those home that were lost were from major embers falling on shake roofs (common in colorado). Just a guess though. To me, those fire shot looks completely natural from the 2-3 wildfires I worked in the past. And from the information I know about this fire it blew up within a matter of hours (not long after residents where complaining that they should be allowed to return) within that subdivision.

Look through the more than 250 photos on the website and you will see evidence to support the ideas above. Plus, what does anyone gain from photoshopping a shoot like that, especially when the Post is volunteering to provide photos to homeowners to start insurance claims.

Phillip

stefan
06-29-2012, 12:43 PM

yea, we're not used to seeing aerial photos like this, especially with the ash splayed about, and there might have been some contrast enhancement but no photochopping.

here's a closeup for ya

Scott P
06-29-2012, 12:51 PM

It is real. This is a photo of the Mountain Shadows subdivision of Colorado Springs, taken by RJ Sangosti from a helicopter and it is posted on the news websites. 346 homes destroyed. A dead and burt body was just found in the subdivision as well.

Story:

http://www.denverpost.com/wildfires/ci_20962119/colorado-wildfire-waldo-canyon-fire-officials-confirm-hundreds

rockgremlin
06-29-2012, 01:08 PM

:roll:There's a profound distinction between reality and what appears to be reality.

You guys should post summore pics in this thread just to make sure you've driven the point home.

stefan
06-29-2012, 01:21 PM
:roll:There's a profound distinction between reality and what appears to be reality.

You guys should post summore pics in this thread just to make sure you've driven the point home.

i understood you the first time rockG, hence my comment. just posted pics cause it's bogley and it's easy to do.

of course, the way you've worded your post, perhaps, leads some to believe you're unsure one way or the other

restrac2000
06-29-2012, 01:50 PM
I understood the first post but still uncertain what he is fully implying. I understand the images look otherworldly as this is an unusual scene. I have only walked a fire line a few times and I am always struck by how surreal the places become in the aftermath.

What are you implying with the statement about reality vs. appearance?

stefan
06-29-2012, 01:58 PM
I understood the first post but still uncertain what he is fully implying. I understand the images look otherworldly as this is an unusual scene. I have only walked a fire line a few times and I am always struck by how surreal the places become in the aftermath.

What are you implying with the statement about reality vs. appearance?

as in the first post, i interpreted that he's saying it's hard for him not to perceive the photo as looking as though it's photoshopped (not that he actually believes or is claiming that it is or even could or might be, just that as it strongly appears that way --i.e., the reality of just looking at the photo itself)

Scott Card
06-29-2012, 03:07 PM
As I posted in the relevant..... thread.

Check this out for the before and after photos...

http://www.denverpost.com/wildfires/ci_20962928/photos-before-and-after-views-neighborhood-burned-by#mountainshadows

accadacca
06-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I just heard that they have cancelled many firework shows around the state of Utah.

accadacca
07-04-2012, 08:37 PM
The high fire danger doesn't seem to have affected the Wyoming Firework sales...not according to my neighborhood.

Candace66
07-04-2012, 10:17 PM
I want (actually, need) to go to bed, but it sounds like a warzone around here! Hope none of that crap lands on the roof!

dmMatrix
07-05-2012, 12:23 PM
I just heard that they have cancelled many firework shows around the state of Utah.

We went to Logan, Ut on the 3rd and then Lewiston, Ut on the 4th. Did anyone have their city ban fireworks shows?

blueeyes
07-05-2012, 12:57 PM
We were up at Brian Head all day for the 4th festivities that included fireworks at 10PM. No fireworks. Never heard any up there either. Think it was a wise choice on Brian Head's part, lots of dead wood up there. Sure enjoyed the rain this morning and cooler temperatures.

dmMatrix
07-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Back when I lived in Cedar it was always fun to watch the City fireworks and then look up towards Brian Head and catch glimpses of theirs peaking over the top.... But I guess I really don't blame them for not having them this year.

rockgremlin
07-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Sugarhaus park put on a good show last night, as well as all of the neighboring hauses....some of the Wyoming fireworks look professional....nothing that I know of got burned up.

Had a great time thumbing my nose at all the haters and overparanoid people just praying for a fire to vindicate their "ban all fireworks everywhere" stance. :bootyshake:

blueeyes
07-05-2012, 04:27 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=21128240&title=photos-late-night-fireworks-set-neighborhood-field-ablaze&s_cid=queue-3

Here is one fire for you rockgremlin, but I doubt it will impress you.

MY T PIMP
07-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Last night I lit up the skies over West Weber. Since the area was irrigated farm land for at least 500 yards in all directions, there was no danger of fires. My kids had a blast. We lit the beacon and by the end of our show the Horse Lords of Rohan had showed up on my folk's front lawn. I was happy for the restrictions through out the state, I have never been able to get so many fireworks at such a low price, I even stocked up for next year. God Bless America!

accadacca
07-05-2012, 09:19 PM
It's a battle zone out my window again tonight! Kaboom!!

dmMatrix
07-05-2012, 09:35 PM
It's a battle zone out my window again tonight! Kaboom!!

Same here.... in a tight weave of complexes where its surprising that fireworks even make it past the roof eves :facepalm1:

rockgremlin
07-06-2012, 07:11 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=21128240&title=photos-late-night-fireworks-set-neighborhood-field-ablaze&s_cid=queue-3

Here is one fire for you rockgremlin, but I doubt it will impress you.

ONE-HALF of a one acre field? No structures wrecked, no casualties, no deaths.... :roflol::roflol: Bitches, Please!!!

blueeyes
07-06-2012, 07:24 AM
I told you, you would be unimpressed. :ne_nau:

middlefork
07-06-2012, 08:35 AM
I have to admitt the local private displays almost out shined the cities display by me. I'm glad ther were not too many problems.