PDA

View Full Version : Help lost gopro zion narrows

deagol
06-17-2012, 02:19 PM
I lost my Gopro Hero2 in the Zion Narrows on Tuesday June 12 just downstream of the Mystery falls rappel. I didn't realize it was gone till we got back to the campground. My heart sank when I realized that it fell out in the narrows when my helmet came out of the pack when I was floating in the deep pool on the left side (looking down-canyon). I had some priceless (to me) pics & vids of our vacation on that camera that I had not had the chance to download. I went back on Thursday to feel around on the bottom in that area where I think it fell out since I figured the current wasn't strong enough to wash it downstream (I could be wrong, of course). The camera was in a ziplock bag with a blue lens cleaner rag. I know the chances are pretty slim that it was found, and even slimmer that if anyone who comes to this forum found it, but It's all I can think to do. I would offer a reward for the camera, but even to just get my memory card back, if not the whole camera, would be great.
Please PM me if you know anything !!
Hoping for a miracle..
:cry1:

wes242
06-17-2012, 04:09 PM
I know that feeling, I lost my first GoPro2 in Lake Powell at Hole in the Rock. Looked for it just over a week ago snorkeling, but no go.... :( I just want the memory card out of it.

Deathcricket
06-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Diss dude! I doubt it will be found, but hey, a slim chance is better than no chance right? Good luck!

deagol
06-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I knew the chances were next to zero. Even if found, would whoever found it be on Bogley? Probably not. I think it is in a deep hole in the bottom of the Virgin River, being slowly buried in sand & mud as we speak. Very depressing. The part of the river where I think it fell out was the only real deep spot between the start (veranda) and Mystery falls. It was so deep that I couldn't feel the bottum even using my treking pole fully extended and I didn't have the guts to try to dive down into the cold murk to feel around blindly for it. If I knew EXACTLY where it was, I think I would have tried to dive down, but the pool I am talking about is pretty long if you can't see and the water was pretty cold (and I estimate maybe at least 7 to 10 feet deep ???).
:ne_nau:

Russted
06-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Just a tip when you spring for a new camera... put a folder on your memory card that says "REWARD IF FOUND" or something like that. Open up Microsoft Notepad and type out all of your contact information, email address, etc. and drop that notepad file into the folder you created. Most PC's have a copy of Notepad, or at least a program that will let you read those files.

I wrote something to the tune of "if you find this camera, please keep it as a reward, just mail me the memory card." I haven't lost a camera yet, but some nice soul might drop the memory card in the mail if I do.

jman
06-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Just a tip when you spring for a new camera... put a folder on your memory card that says "REWARD IF FOUND" or something like that. Open up Microsoft Notepad and type out all of your contact information, email address, etc. and drop that notepad file into the folder you created. Most PC's have a copy of Notepad, or at least a program that will let you read those files.

I wrote something to the tune of "if you find this camera, please keep it as a reward, just mail me the memory card." I haven't lost a camera yet, but some nice soul might drop the memory card in the mail if I do.

hmmm...that's a genuis idea!

denaliguide
06-19-2012, 12:41 PM

Brilliant!! :2thumbs::2thumbs:

Iceaxe
06-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Just a tip when you spring for a new camera... put a folder on your memory card that says "REWARD IF FOUND" or something like that.

It has now been added to all my camera's :2thumbs:

Thanks for the idea.

deagol
06-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Something similar to this occured to me after losing it, but it was to just keep a picture (or video) on the memory card stating the same information. This is a good idea.

Sombeech
06-19-2012, 03:18 PM

Best idea I've heard in a long time :2thumbs: