PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a hike for this coming Monday

Wasatch Rebel
06-16-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm thinking either Bell's Canyon, the Pfeifferhorn, or Lone Peak. Which do you suggest and why? Or feel free to make another recommendation for the Wasatch Front area.

Iceaxe
06-16-2012, 02:49 PM
You will probably need an iceaxe and the knowledge to use it to safely hike p-horn or Lone Peak. At least in normal years you need one into July.

Wasatch Rebel
06-16-2012, 04:48 PM
You will probably need an iceaxe and the knowledge to use it to safely hike p-horn or Lone Peak. At least in normal years you need one into July.

Good to know. And I still haven't acquired one yet, nor the skills to use it.

Scott P
06-16-2012, 08:15 PM

In normal years, yes.

Possibly not this year though. Someone posted this a few days ago on SP:

Lone last year, 6-11-2011:

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/images/spacer.gifhttp://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/Wasatch-VR6/lone20110010-1.jpg

Lone this year, 6-9-2012:

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/images/spacer.gifhttp://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/Wasatch-VR6/lone0009.jpg

Lone from the South (as of today):

55416 (http://www.bogley.com/images/original/795454.JPG)

For sure you wouldn't have to worry about snow if you climbed Lone Peak via the Alpine Route (which is the easiest route anyway, though the very last part of the ridge is exposed).

South side of P-horn today:

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/795458.JPG

Supposedly the north side of P-horn doesn't have much either.

You don't want to cross/climb steep snow without an ice-axe, but this year it might be worth a shot (you could turn back if you hit snow).

As far as which one to do, both are nice climbs, but Lone Peak is more strenuous because of the elevation gain. It's a much longer climb too. It will be hot down low as well. It just depends on what you want.

Bells Canyon is always scenic, but warm down low. Someone else can provide more up to date info though as I haven't kept up with the access issues since moving from Utah.

Also consider Storm Mountain if you are afraid of snow. Judging from the pictures above, you shouldn't have a problem with snow. It's a good alternative to Lone Peak or the P-horn.

Sun Dance
06-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Yes, you should not need an ice axe this year on the south face of Lone Peak. However, I consider this route more difficult than Jacob's Ladder, just by sheer steepness. If going up through the Cirque, the gully climbing it faces north, so this may shelter snow this late, even with the low snowpack this year.

Not sure on Pfeifferhorn, but most of that route faces north and east, so you could still have snow.

Wasatch Rebel
06-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks. I'm thinking now I may do Lake Blanche or Pittsburg Lake, especially since I picked up some worms last night and want to try a little fishing. No sense in letting the worms go to waste. I'm going to wait a few weeks before attempting Lone Peak or Pfiefferhorn, and Bells will take me too long to do considering I just found out I have a honey do list for tomorrow. I'll leave the longer hikes alone for now, and then for sure they'll be clear of snow. I did ask for an ice axe for Christmas last year, but didn't get it and have spent all my extra funds on such things as a new sleeping pad and car repairs. Hopefully soon I'll get one and can begin practicing with it--albeit at 52 a bit late in life. Still this old dog can always learn a few new tricks, I'm thinking.

Sun Dance
06-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Now this is turning into a fishing post. I know there are fish in Pittsburgh, apparently there are in Lake Blanche too? Are these native or self-sustaining, because I can't imagine them stocking it by helicopter.

JONBOYLEMON
06-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Let me know if Pitt lake has anything worth fishing.

Scott P
06-17-2012, 07:19 PM
I know there are fish in Pittsburgh, apparently there are in Lake Blanche too? Are these native or self-sustaining, because I can't imagine them stocking it by helicopter.

Lake Blanche has been a fishing lake for many decades. I doubt that they are native since the lake sits in a hanging valley (native fish are almost never found in such lakes). In the old days with such lakes, stocking was done by horseback and later by airplane. I've never heard of helicopters doing it though. I also don't know if the lake is currently stocked.

Sun Dance
06-17-2012, 07:32 PM
How about the other two up there? Lillian and Florence? Seems like since they're lower they should have some too.

Wasatch Rebel
06-18-2012, 03:54 AM
All three of the lakes up there have fish. I've seen them each time I've gone, and every time I've said to myself to bring the fishing pole the next time. This time I'm going to. Also, just two years ago when I went to Pittsburg, you could see tons of fish just prowling the shoreline. Again, I didn't have my fishing stuff and promised myself to go back. I think I'm going to Pittsburg this morning--I can get a little fishing, a little hiking and some four-wheeling in all on the same trip.

reflection
06-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Wasatch Rebel. Don't know if you are still out there. Commentary re ice axes and crampons - folk are out of touch with what nature has and has not done to the Central Wasatch snowpack this season.

The upper ridge of Phiepherhorn is mostly bare of snow, some patches, walk route in may have some snow but final approach route should be passable.
Lone Peak. Walking from Draper up ridge to Cirque? There is still some snow in the cirque area but melting quickly, otherwise the route is clean. If wishing to Peak out from the Draper Ridge side or the S side, the peak is bare of snow with only slight patches here and there on the approach. (Was atop Lone Peak June 17; and eyed Pheipherhorn to the east.)

What snow there is up there, is melting quickly. Myself, I'd do some of these ventures when snow is around; provides a water source - particulary the Lone Peak trip.

Iceaxe
06-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Now this is turning into a fishing post. I know there are fish in Pittsburgh, apparently there are in Lake Blanche too? Are these native or self-sustaining, because I can't imagine them stocking it by helicopter.

Lake Blanche was stocked by the Utah DWR with 1495 brook trout in 2011 (stocked 8-1-11).

Wasatch Rebel
06-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Lake Blanche was stocked by the Utah DWR with 1495 brook trout in 2011 (stocked 8-1-11). Do you think that lake freezes to the bottom in the winter? It seems fairly deep so there could also be some survivors. As for Pittsburg Lake fishing, I caught 8 fish in a little over an hour, and that was with messing with my reel, and having to retie several hooks etc. They were hungry little devils! Unfortunately, little is the operative word here. Not one over 8 inches long.

Scott P
06-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Do you think that lake freezes to the bottom in the winter?

No; it does not.

Wasatch Rebel
06-18-2012, 08:48 PM
No; it does not.

I didn't think so. There may be some larger fish in it then.

wasatchghost
06-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Anyone been up Timp yet this season (particularly from the Timpooneke side)? What are snow conditions like?

Brian in SLC
06-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Commentary re ice axes and crampons - folk are out of touch with what nature has and has not done to the Central Wasatch snowpack this season.

The upper ridge of Phiepherhorn is mostly bare of snow, some patches, walk route in may have some snow but final approach route should be passable.

Long shot of the Pfeifferhorn from Grizzly Gulch behind Alta from 21 June. Snow's going fast!