PDA

View Full Version : Imlay, current beta

TripleJ
06-14-2012, 04:49 AM
Just curious if anyone had been through there recently. I am interested in water levels. My crew will be going June 26th.

Thanks,
Justin

jman
06-14-2012, 06:02 AM
I'm hitting it this weekend, and I'll report back. But we're expecting keeper-mode with low water levels - fun!!

kilo
06-17-2012, 10:00 AM
I went through last Saturday (6/9/12). Water is mid-level. You probably won't be able to beach-whale out of too many potholes. Bring your pothole escape gear. The water was still pretty chilly. Have fun!

jman
06-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Went through with a group of 6 on 6/16 (Sat) with Shaun (Trackrunner) as our leader who did a fantastic job! All us of us were noobs to Imlay except for Shaun and one his friends. A full TR will come shortly, including my buddy Jeff's and his acclaimed POV GoPro video edit of the beast.

Anyways, 2 or 3 holes required hooking to get out. 3+ required potshots. 1 was setup as a guided-rap. (We have never done that before). The rest required good finger locks and partner-assists. 2 of us (including me) did it in 3/2mm shorties and were in reasonable shape (high cold tolerance). 2 wetsuits for a few (3mm) and 5mm wetsuits were just enough for the rest.

No beach whalin' for us. Too low to do that. Good luck and be safe! Don't underestimate this beast.

TripleJ
06-18-2012, 05:01 AM
jman,

Thanks for the info. Did you do full Imlay or the sneak? About how long did it take you?

Thanks again!

jman
06-18-2012, 06:42 AM
jman,

Thanks for the info. Did you do full Imlay or the sneak? About how long did it take you?

Thanks again!

We did the sneak.

We wanted to start at 4:30 but the usual morning things delayed us (bathroom, sorting the gear and equalizing the load, driving up to the grotto, etc.) We started from the Grotto at about 5:20. We hit Temple of Sinawava at 10pm. We hit the exit rap about 8:00-8:30pm which allowed just enough light to hike out the rest of Narrows.

It took 6 of us about 16 1/2 hrs. A group of 4 would of shaved down that time at least two hours. However, we did have a guide through the canyon which I'm sure saved a few hours as well as headaches (routefinding, what to expect, best way to conquer the pothole, etc.).

Btw, I posted a another thread about losing gear, and when you go through and if find any of our gear - please let me know! Thanks a milllion!

TripleJ
06-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Did the Imlay Sneak on Monday June 25th. It took our 3 man team 11.5 hours car to car. Most Keepers were almost dry. Hooked out of 3 or 4, pot shotted a couple. One of our crew is an amazing climber and was able to escape 3 keepers without assistance. All in all an amazing trip.

On a side note we did remove quite a bit of trash from the canyon. Candy wrappers, gatorade bottles, etc..

ratagonia
06-28-2012, 10:32 AM
On a side note we did remove quite a bit of trash from the canyon. Candy wrappers, gatorade bottles, etc..

:cry1:

thanks for removing other people's careless trash...

Tom