PDA

View Full Version : Overnight trip for Begginers

Zoriloco
06-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Good day everyone,

My wife asked me what I wanted to do for this fathers day and its been a while since Ive paddled a canoe, so I figured a nice overnight trip would be something I would enjoy. I have gone out on a canoe a couple of times and my wife has never done it. Our 4 year old daughter would also be with us during this trip. Is it completely insane for a couple of beginners to attempt an overnight trip on flat water? Second questions would be, is there any flat water overnight trips that can be done at this time of year?

Any suggestions as to where we could go would also be very appreciated. We would be coming in from Denver so the closer to CO the better.

Thank you a ton!

Alan

IntrepidXJ
06-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Ruby-Horsethief is a good overnight trip....but starting this year you have to deal with camping permits from the BLM

Zoriloco
06-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah thats what I heard from the people at REI. Is there a website with route descriptions? I was hoping I could get this set up with in a week but since my experience in this type of outdoor activities is so limited it might take me a bit longer to set up a trip.

Ruby-Horsethief is a good overnight trip....but starting this year you have to deal with camping permits from the BLM

denaliguide
06-11-2012, 08:05 PM
route description as follows. put in at loma (which is just a few miles west of fruita on i-70), follow river downstream (hard to get lost) and take out at west water (don't miss the takeout!!). watch out for black rock rapid. it is a nice overnight trip. the other thing is you need to have some kind of shuttle arranged.

not completely insane for two adults but adding in the 4 yr old complicates the equation when taking a canoe in case of an unintended capsize. the water will be cold and hypothermia is a concern. life jackets are not optional. i used a raft and took my first son down this stretch when he was still in a car seat.

might be a better idea to find a nice lake to canoe around on and camp out. that way if the wee one gets to be too much you can bugout easier.

Zoriloco
06-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Makes a lot of sense, I think we will take out the canoe out to a lake to start off this year and give the little one a better chance to enjoy calmer waters.

mcirque
06-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Is there a website with route descriptions?

You can use this site for most multi-day trip or any river info. Including Ruby-HT
http://riverbrain.com/river/list
http://riverbrain.com/run/show/21?run=Horsetheif+and+Ruby+Canyons

Alex
06-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Ruby Horsetheif is longer than an overnight, especially with a little one. You'd have too long of days.

I can't think of any stretches in Utah which are single night overnight trip on flat water. Don't know many places in Colorado.

IntrepidXJ
06-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Ruby Horsetheif is longer than an overnight, especially with a little one. You'd have too long of days.

Maybe this year....but normal years it's an easy day trip and a relaxing overnight trip.