PDA

View Full Version : Canyonator vs Canyonero Rope

jon.moab
06-08-2012, 06:33 AM
I am in the market for a new rope and have anrrowed it down the the BW Canyonator and the Imlay Canyonero. I am looking for real world input on both ropes. I am leaning more toward the Canyonero, however.wanted some feedback first. This will replace a Mammut 9 mm rope....

Scott P
06-08-2012, 07:00 AM
The Canyonero is endorsed by Krusty, if that makes a difference.

MrAdam
06-08-2012, 07:56 AM
The Canyonero is endorsed by Crusty, if that makes a difference.

Krusty the Clown spells his name with a K!!

I have an Imlay Canyon Fire and a BW Canyonater rope, FWIW, I like the Imlay rope quite a bit better. The newer Imlay ropes seem to be much more pliable and easier to tie knots with than the both the Canyonater and the older Imlay ropes.

Scott P
06-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Krusty the Clown spells his name with a K!!

Fixed it.

MSchasch
06-08-2012, 08:32 AM
I have an Imlay Canyon Fire and a BW Canyonater rope, FWIW, I like the Imlay rope quite a bit better. The newer Imlay ropes seem to be much more pliable and easier to tie knots with than the both the Canyonater and the older Imlay ropes.

Agreed. Canyonater makes some ugly knots due to it handling like piece of rebar. Just watch out for the unexplained fires with the Canyonero. Those are a matter for the courts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qpQzK2Rj4&feature=related

trackrunner
06-08-2012, 10:47 AM
I had thought the canyonator was 8.8mm making it a good balance for those that think 8/8.3mm is to thin & 9/9.2m is to thick. I was going to give you that recommendation if you fell in that group. But I just looked online and it appears to be 9mm. maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong?

as for stiff new ropes. I remember when my first few imlay ropes were too stiff and I could not tie knots (or hitches) well. I asked tom & he recommended doing a couple dozen horizontal rappels on the ends to loosen the stiffness. it worked well. I also found putting a rope grab and my full body weight ascending a few feet also got rid of the stiffness. to get rid of the stiffness in the rest of the rope, using it in canyons did it. the latest batch of imlay ropes have not had this problem. this tip could probably could be used for another rope maker with stiff new ropes. YMMV

ratagonia
06-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I had thought the canyonator was 8.8mm making it a good balance for those that think 8/8.3mm is to thin & 9/9.2m is to thick. I was going to give you that recommendation if you fell in that group. But I just looked online and it appears to be 9mm. maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong?

as for stiff new ropes. I remember when my first few imlay ropes were too stiff and I could not tie knots (or hitches) well. I asked tom & he recommended doing a couple dozen horizontal rappels on the ends to loosen the stiffness. it worked well. I also found putting a rope grab and my full body weight ascending a few feet also got rid of the stiffness. to get rid of the stiffness in the rest of the rope, using it in canyons did it. the latest batch of imlay ropes have not had this problem. this tip could probably could be used for another rope maker with stiff new ropes. YMMV

Claimed diameter is not a good judge of the size of a rope. The way I decide what to call a rope and BW are very different. Mine is the size of the rope while it is being woven, which is about the smallest number that makes sense. I do not know how BW does there, but the BW 8mm is significantly smaller than my 8mm ropes.

Weight is the real measure of the heft of a rope.

Weights on my ropes are listed here: http://imlaycanyongear.com/ropes2.php

Tom