PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report 2012.05.29 - Europe goes 4 Middle Echo Canyon

maarten.1975
06-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Michael_WB and myself (both from Europe; one originating from Britain, living in Switserland, the other one being Dutch) have spent a week and a half in Zion last weeks, and just returned to good old normal life. I noticed his feedback on a topic about Middle Echo Canyon, which more or less is a short trip report. And since I

ghawk
06-04-2012, 01:58 PM
I love Echo! Always been a fun one. Great TR. :2thumbs:

WorkBad
06-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Awesome pics!:2thumbs:

I am pretty sure I met you guys or your doppelg

oldno7
06-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Fantastic report:2thumbs:

Sandstone Addiction
06-04-2012, 05:16 PM
I enjoyed your TR very much. Echo might just be our families first Zion canyon, looks awesome! Thanks. :2thumbs:

Scott Card
06-04-2012, 05:18 PM
:2thumbs:

Byron
06-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Excellent. I been through many canyons in Zion, but never that one. Perhaps I'll hit it during the Bogleyfest? I always make that left turn into Mystery...

ilipichicuma
06-04-2012, 11:39 PM
I enjoyed your TR very much. Echo might just be our families first Zion canyon, looks awesome! Thanks. :2thumbs:

If you get wetsuits for your whole family it would be perfect! Echo is one of my favorites, too! Great report! :2thumbs:

Michael_WB
06-05-2012, 12:27 AM
[QUOTE=WorkBad;500034]Awesome pics!:2thumbs:

I am pretty sure I met you guys or your doppelg

Slot Machine
06-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Nice TR! :2thumbs:

WorkBad
06-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Humm... "two suave and debonair individuals" :stud:
Yea that was you two! Now I remember, I did the subway minus das boot the same day as you. We too barely made it back to pick up the next days permit. Man one person in front of me and it took 30 minutes! Picking the permits up in the morning always runs the risk of standing there for an hour or so. Cheers.

maarten.1975
06-16-2012, 11:07 PM
As for pictures of the dead deer in Pine Creek, I believe Maarten will be providing those at some point in the near future, perhaps both May 22nd and May 30th vintages showing the intervening decomposition(?)

I'm still wondering whether to do it or not... are people interested, do these pictures give added value to Bogley?
I couldn't resist the urge to take the pictures.... It is quite difficult to recognize the deer though.
But at least you know what you've been smelling when you passed there.....

(or is my mind strange in this context?)

:crazy:

DesertDuke
06-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Maarten

How known is canyoneering or even the red rock areas to Europeans? My son lives there and told me that there was a recent article in a Dutch newspaper about Zion. I seem to run into more and more Europeans when I hit the desert but am not sure where they get their beta. Those I have met in canyon areas seem to know exactly where they are going and are in no need of suggestions. Are they all on Bogley, Shane's, Tanya's, and Tom's websites?

maarten.1975
06-18-2012, 11:28 AM
How known is canyoneering or even the red rock areas to Europeans? My son lives there and told me that there was a recent article in a Dutch newspaper about Zion. I seem to run into more and more Europeans when I hit the desert but am not sure where they get their beta. Those I have met in canyon areas seem to know exactly where they are going and are in no need of suggestions. Are they all on Bogley, Shane's, Tanya's, and Tom's websites?

Well, in the Netherlands, we don't have canyons. Our country is almost completely flat. As a result from that, canyoneering (in Europe mostly the term canyoning is used, and I have no idea why :ne_nau: hehehe) is not something many Dutch people know of, apart from the guided 'adventure day'-like things. Some people have done that in countries like i.e. Switzerland, France or Spain. I think in those countries canyoneering will be known much better.

Quite some people I know have travelled the South West of the States for holiday however. Visiting Vegas and LA or SF, and hiking in the National Parks. And possibly as a next step experiencing the other hidden treasures in the desert. (That is how I started as well.) I have no idea where they get their beta, apart from speculating that the top-15 Google-results will be the first and main sites visited. That is how I stared as well... and I ended up here :haha:

I still have to discover Europe on canyoneering possiblities, however so far Zion (and other NP's) kept calling me back...