PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Ca

dustinsc
06-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Went with a guided group to Ca

jdamin
06-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Good stuff Dustin - So when are we starting our Mexi-canyon guiding business???

dustinsc
06-02-2012, 05:06 AM
I think I finally got the pictures to load...

Slot Machine
06-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Nice job man, that cavern (pic #8) looks like a blast! :2thumbs:

oldno7
06-03-2012, 06:04 PM
It was also different in that my guides used a much more complicated system of setting up each rappel than I'm used to. Most of it involved blocking with a mounter hitch followed by a knot around an 8, the idea being that you can feed more rope if needed (not sure what the technique is called; I've never used it and can only see it's usefulness in a few situations).

It's called a contingency system. They are used all the time up here, on the plateau, in several differing configurations.
Very handy when someone makes a mistake on rappel and requires to quickly be lowered. Just because you didn't understand what was being done, with your safety in mind, does it somehow mean that contingencies are complicated, they are not--I've taught them to literally hundreds of folks in minutes. VERY SIMPLE!!--VERY EFFECTIVE!!!

And--Thanks for the nice report and pictures.:2thumbs:

dustinsc
06-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Nice job man, that cavern (pic #8) looks like a blast! :2thumbs:

I'd say it was the best part of the canyon. The view was a lot better coming down than looking up on it.

dustinsc
06-03-2012, 06:53 PM
It's called a contingency system. They are used all the time up here, on the plateau, in several differing configurations.
Very handy when someone makes a mistake on rappel and requires to quickly be lowered. Just because you didn't understand what was being done, with your safety in mind, does it somehow mean that contingencies are complicated, they are not--I've taught them to literally hundreds of folks in minutes. VERY SIMPLE!!--VERY EFFECTIVE!!!

And--Thanks for the nice report and pictures.:2thumbs:

Goes to show I need to get out with some other folks more. Seems like it would be especially useful going with people who are new, which I plan on doing this summer. I'll have to take the time to learn it, but I still think it would be overkill to use it on every rappel. Anything that adds two or three extra steps is complicated to my simple mind. I'm not criticizing the guides for that (although I would criticize them for some things I've left out of the report) especially since there were quite a few people there who were a bit unpredictable on the rappels. If you've got a good link that explains the setup I'd appreciate it.

ilipichicuma
06-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Goes to show I need to get out with some other folks more. Seems like it would be especially useful going with people who are new, which I plan on doing this summer. I'll have to take the time to learn it, but I still think it would be overkill to use it on every rappel. Anything that adds two or three extra steps is complicated to my simple mind. I'm not criticizing the guides for that (although I would criticize them for some things I've left out of the report) especially since there were quite a few people there who were a bit unpredictable on the rappels. If you've got a good link that explains the setup I'd appreciate it.

JJ taught Gavin and I how to rig a contingency anchor once, Dustin. I'll show you sometime.

oldno7
06-04-2012, 05:12 AM
Being shown is a much more viable option than learning on the internet, good on ya Cliff.

I can set a contingency in around 30 sec., just for reference.

If someone has a problem on rappel,(say a 100'), you can have them safely on the ground in a couple minutes or less.

Is it for everyone, every time? No

Is it so simple, even a caveman can do it?? oh yea.

Sombeech
06-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Nice pics.

Sorry, just doing some testing here to see if Google+ has changed anything with their code for our Picasa slideshow embed, I hope not...

CanonGrandeSanJuanMorelosMexico

EDIT: It still works but I'll have to see if I can make our instructions easier to understand.

Great report!

oldno7
06-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Dustin
If you ever get down Cedar City way, let me know--be glad to show you a simple contingency set up.
Always better if shown on rappel to get hands on experience...

dustinsc
06-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Dustin
If you ever get down Cedar City way, let me know--be glad to show you a simple contingency set up.
Always better if shown on rappel to get hands on experience...
I'd love to. I get back to Utah on June 16, and then I think I'm hitting Mystery the next weekend, but I'm not sure what my exact plans will be for that whole weekend. I'll PM you when I get a better idea. I'd also take any other tips. I'm trying to get more serious about safety and preparedness.

jbick
06-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Looks like it was an awesome trip, Dustin! Too bad you missed the (potentially) best part of the canyon.

burley
06-11-2012, 04:20 PM
I'll have to take the time to learn it, but I still think it would be overkill to use it on every rappel. Anything that adds two or three extra steps is complicated to my simple mind.

Yep, just another tool to have in the toolbox, like a SAM splint or ascenders, only the contingency doesn't weigh anything. Unless of course you don't already carry a totem or an eight, in which case you can always learn a contingency setup which doesn't require either. That said, I sure WISH I had utilized this tool a couple months ago when a friend got her hair caught in her rap device; and was glad I DID use it on the last rap in Mystery a couple weeks ago when the first timer was rigged with way too much friction on a wet rope.

If you've got a good link that explains the setup I'd appreciate it.

Try this (http://canyonquest.com/~steve/cerberuscanyons.com/tech/007_eightrelease/tech_007_release8.html) (or any number of lower ranked Google results, including our very own Bogley posts).

ghawk
06-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Dustin, Cliff and I can go over that with you when you get back too. it's not too tricky. It's a nice tool to have for newbs or situations you aren't sure about. :bandit: