PDA

View Full Version : which video editting software do you use?

DesertDuke
06-01-2012, 06:10 AM
For $100 or less programs only:

OK, Ice likes PowerDirector, Beech likes MovieMaker.....I haven't seen anyone post thumbs up on the Corel ProX or Sony Vegas Movie Studio but am sure that some of you are using them. Or, maybe others.....Roxio, Pinnacle??

I would appreciate your input. I am trying to decide which to purchase.

Duke

DiscGo
06-01-2012, 02:43 PM
I like the Windows Live Video Editor alright. I have tried to use "Blender" a couple of times but it is a bit over my head.

Sombeech
06-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Depends on what specific features you'd like in the final production.

DesertDuke
06-01-2012, 04:55 PM
I have been using live movie maker but recently got a "there isn't enough memory to save your movie" error note for a 3 minute compilation. Lots of room on the hard drive. ? It just got me wondering what the $50-$100 of software from some of these others would get me.

Sombeech
06-01-2012, 05:32 PM
It's talking about RAM, not hard drive space. You've either got a lot of things running in the background, or not enough RAM. Other software usually won't solve this issue unless you are saving it in a lower resolution.

Plus... are you creating the video project from files on your SD card, or are the files on your hard drive? Move them to the hard drive if you haven't already.

May I ask what your raw video resolution is, and what specs you are saving it as?

DesertDuke
06-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks. They are 1080 HD files, MP4, 30 fps and they are on the hard drive. RAM eh? Man, seems like it is time for a new computer at least every other year if not every year. Sheesh!

DesertDuke
06-01-2012, 07:16 PM
BTW, thanks Beech, I dropped the other crap running and it went. I'll upload on the web and post so you can see what I was messing with.

Sombeech
06-01-2012, 07:23 PM
BTW, thanks Beech, I dropped the other crap running and it went. I'll upload on the web and post so you can see what I was messing with.

:2thumbs:

How much RAM do you have by the way? (Right Click on Computer, Properties)

Sometimes an easy way to preserve more RAM is by dumping the huge Anti Virus program and by going with something simple like Microsoft Security Essentials. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

wes242
06-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I haven't seen anyone post thumbs up on the Corel ProX or Sony Vegas Movie Studio but am sure that some of you are using them.

I have been using Corel Studio Pro, started with x3, now x4. It works pretty well. I got it cause I saw it on a site that said it was one of the higher rated ones. No complaints here.

DesertDuke
06-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the Tip Wes.

Beech; first, I am still on a 32 bit computer. It has 4G ram, 2.7 usable. The antivirus is a good idea, but I have a specific one that runs in connection with my US Navy, internet access that I have to upload info with each month so I think I am stuck with it. Ironically it was scanning when I was having the problem, but it is likely that I just need to bite the bullet and cough up for a 64 bit. I did post the vid and you can see that it is not anything that should cause a hick-up. All 30fps stuff. And I think you will see that my videos certainly need something though probably not solvable with new software.

Sombeech
06-01-2012, 08:56 PM
The anti virus scan was the #1 reason it failed those first times. 4GB of RAM is a decent amount though. The 64 bit OS isn't going to make the difference for you, it's just the RAM and processor, which usually with a 64 bit system it comes with those two components beefed up. The 64 bit alone won't be able to produce better video, it may look better on the finished product but it's really the hardware that does the trick.

If you're a little strapped for cash it doesn't sound like you need a new machine quite yet. Just go into your task manager and kill some large processes, heck even disable your anti virus for the time being if you're not on the web.

zzyzx
06-01-2012, 10:06 PM
...Pinnacle Studio :)

Gesendet von meinem NexusHD2 mit Tapatalk 2

DesertDuke
06-02-2012, 07:59 AM
So I am getting a bit deep into this thread to ask a specific question: What software in the under $100 range allows for the smooth, converted slomo shots. the attached clip is from a 60 fps that was converted using $$$ software. I can shoot at 60 fps and can slow down in Windows Live Movie Maker, but can't get the smooth slomo like this has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdlRnM_pMtk

Sombeech
06-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Yes, Windows Live Movie Maker will do that, it will slow down to any speed you specify. But.... what's your footage? Is your camera moving with the subject, or is it stationary? How much total movement is in the footage?

The smoothness is all about the frames per second. If you are shooting in 30fps, it won't look that smooth at that speed no matter what software you use. That footage was shot in 60fps, that's how it's so smooth.

Are you using a GoPro by chance? I always film in mode 3 which is 720 at 60fps. You'll notice on that youtube video on the quality settings that it does not go up to 1080, but only 720, which means this video was also shot in mode 3 at 60fps.

EDIT: in fact after reading the description on that video it was finally produced in Windows Live Movie Maker. Since they claim it was converted from 60fps to 240fps, that's quite the jump and I'm a little skeptical. That's like having 1 frame every 4 slots, and that software assumed how to fill those 3 missing slots between the next frame.

I would seriously shoot some 60fps footage on your own, just a 20 second test, and then slow it down to half speed (or slower) in Windows Live Movie Maker and see how it looks. It also depends if the camera is moving along with the subject or not.

DesertDuke
06-02-2012, 02:27 PM
I sometimes shoot at 60 fps and slow to .5 or .125 but it isn't quite as "smooth" as the link and I assumed that in converting it to an equivalent of 240fps that it 'smoothed" it out and wondered if that is possible for under $100. But, as you said......240 fps?? Seems a bit unrealistic. However, the clip looks great. Camera movement may be some of the problem too. Or even more likely......the video curse that was cast on me decades ago to keep my vids sucking regardless of what I do.

Do any of you convert from 60 fps to some even higher number but from a clip that was shot at 60? Does that help and is it worth buying one of these programs for doing that?

Sombeech
06-02-2012, 05:50 PM
One more thing... when producing a 60fps clip from WLMM, the default recommended specs will put it at 30fps. I create another profile and set the frame rate at 60fps, then save the video with that profile.

When you say the video isn't smooth when you slow it down, is this while viewing the final produced video clip? Did you happen to produce the 60fps footage into a 30fps video? Another thing is if you are "previewing" the video while editing it, that preview window will almost never play the video as smooth as the finished product, depending on your video card and again RAM and processor. So don't use the preview window as a gauge.

DesertDuke
06-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Imagine me sitting here, with a blank stare, scratching my head. "Create another profile and set the frame rate at 60" ? I know how to set my camera at 60fps and I know how to slow that down in WLMM and I know how to tell WLMM to save as a 1080. I am dumb enough to have believed that a clip shot at 60 fps would be at 60 fps. I need to tell WLMM to keep it at 60 fps? I don't know what "create another profile" means. Unless that is......that you are telling me to drop "DesertDuke" and create a new Bogley profile called "I CAN'T MAKE MOVIES" ?

Sombeech
06-02-2012, 07:29 PM
When you go to "Save Movie", you'll see the drop down choices of all kinds of different resolutions to save as. Right at the very bottom of that list is where you can create a profile/settings for custom specs like framerate, bitrate, dimensions, etc....

So for instance with my 720 and 60fps footage, I've created a "movie saving" profile in WLMM called "720 60" and I save my GoPro footage through that setting every time I'm producing a video.

Sombeech
06-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Sorry.... not profile, but "create custom setting"