PDA

View Full Version : Best Shoe for Canyoneering

Scott Card
05-29-2012, 11:04 PM
According to Backpacker 2012 Gear Guide, the best shoe for canyoneering is the Chaco Ponsul Bulloo. Hmmm.

Bootboy
05-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Questionable...

oldno7
05-30-2012, 05:05 AM
Spending time this week in Adidas Hydro Pro...

Will report back

Renatomic808
05-30-2012, 05:32 AM
depends which canyons... most of the moist canyons here... you'll slip and fall no matter what. Someone needs to develop some awesome "Maui Canyon Shoes"

Scott Card
05-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Here it is: 54638

ratagonia
05-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Here it is: 54638

Looks like a shoe that non-canyoneers think would be great for canyoneering.

In other words: "ouch!"

T

Scott Card
05-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Yah, I was snickering when I saw this. I was posting to get others reactions and see if anyone really used these shoes.

hank moon
05-30-2012, 11:09 AM
yah, those are great for long swims. I take 'em along on Lake Powell trips. Super light and compressible, so you don't notice them in the pack until they're needed. YMMV.

Iceaxe
05-30-2012, 11:31 AM

Looks like the type of shoe you would wear while walking on the beach holding hands with your girlfriend.

:lol8:

Bootboy
05-30-2012, 12:54 PM
They eerily resemble the dreaded water socks that the nerdy kids wore in the pool when I was younger. Usually the same kids whose mom put sunscreen in their hair and who wore t shirts in the pool. Shudder....

ocanler
05-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Obviously the product testers at Backpacker did not traverse the Narrows with these. They would have finished on their knees, begging for their moms!

Stray
05-31-2012, 08:57 AM
About 15 years ago, I was hiking the narrows in cheap, light HiTech boots. Suddenly, the sole came off one boot. With no duct tape, I traded out that boot for a Chaco and finished the hike one boot on and one boot off. I don't remember any painful rock bangs, "extra" slippage or toe bangs on my exposed sandal foot.

Chaco make a pretty good sandal.

Last year, we did Larry Canyon with girl, who was misinformed of the adventure and wore cheap shorts and Chacos. Her only problem was shredding her shorts :naughty: (which my wife fixed by giving her mine :cry1: ). The downclimbs and exit crack was no problem for her in Chacos.

hank moon
05-31-2012, 09:03 AM
A few years back, a sandal-wearing canyoneer (might even have been chackos) had his big toe nearly severed by a shifting rock in Englestead Hollow. Anyone with a link to that story?

Scott Card
05-31-2012, 10:12 AM
I snicker at these shoes but Spidey did in fact do Heaps in Chacos and wool socks..... not by design but out of necessity. I know, I was there and I kept asking him how he was doing. Of course he blasted through in good shape.

trackrunner
05-31-2012, 11:06 AM
A few years back, a sandal-wearing canyoneer (might even have been chackos) had his big toe nearly severed by a shifting rock in Englestead Hollow. Anyone with a link to that story?

story from eric. group behind his a member lost a toe
http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2005/12/englestead-hollow.html

spinesnaper
05-31-2012, 11:46 PM

I am sensing a 127 hour sequel here. Another good reason for canyoneer SAR-can't see the blood from your pulverized feet.:lol8:

Ken

xxnitsuaxx
06-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Everyone needs to back up off the Chacos! I've done Heaps and Imlay twice in Chacos and didn't have a single problem. Come to think of it, with the exception of Sandthrax, I've done every canyon I've ever done in Chacos. They're comfortable, the pro-sole Chacos have better grip than ANY of my trail-running shoes and most of my approach shoes, they're lightweight...just generally awesome.

Quick poll - how many of you who are ripping on Chaco-wearers have EVER worn Chacos in a canyon? Any of you? Do y'all even OWN Chacos? I'll admit, my crew and I don't fit in with the rest of you bumblebee-wearing canyoneers, but we get along just fine with. I've got a pair of size 10s if anyone wants to borrow them for a canyon. I'll make converts out of you 5.10 Fanboys yet.

Iceaxe
06-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Quick poll - how many of you who are ripping on Chaco-wearers have EVER worn Chacos in a canyon? Any of you? Do y'all even OWN Chacos?

There is always someone standing in line to date the ugly fat girl..... :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Mojave Silence
06-01-2012, 06:17 PM
depends which canyons... most of the
moist canyons here... you'll slip and
fall no matter what. Someone needs
to develop some awesome "Maui
Canyon Shoes"
Barefoot apparently is the way to go :). I still think the 1/2 felt, 1/2 sticky rubber shoe is the best compromise in Maui

CarpeyBiggs
06-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Everyone needs to back up off the Chacos! ... They're comfortable, the pro-sole Chacos have better grip than ANY of my trail-running shoes and most of my approach shoes, they're lightweight...just generally awesome.

You are the first person I've ever heard call chacos lightweight. For how little sandal they actually are, they are heavy mo-fos, like a pound each. It's like wearing bricks. I also hate 5.10 canyoneers, they are heavy, clunky, and uncomfortable. But I love the savants and the insights. The sticky soles are without a doubt the best all around soles.

That said, I know a lot of people who swear by chacos. Hell, I even saw guys hiking the PCT with chacos and injinji socks. 30 miles a day sometimes, for weeks on end, even across snow in the Sierras. They hated shoes. However, they simply don't work for me. I use them on river trips all the time, but once I start hiking in them, I bust my toes up like crazy. Not sure how you guys do it. I also find them sloppy when I need to edge or smear on anything. The vibram soles don't even compare to sticky rubber of 5.10s. And, they are expensive. 100 bucks? They're sandals! They are great on the river though.

But ultimately, whatever works works.
That said, the Chacos in this thread are ugly as hell. :bootyshake:

agostinone
06-01-2012, 08:29 PM
I was doing a canyon on The Big Island (Hawaii) about 3 years ago in Chacos because it was all I had. I was fine until a pointed stick stabbed me between my big toe and the next one over. Nasty puncture wound. Nearly trashed the rest of the vacation.

hank moon
06-01-2012, 10:35 PM
the old chacos were pretty good - esp. the ones w/5.10 dot rubber on 'em. The new ones are made in China and blow. they have never been lightweight and your big toe WILL get severed (or punctured).

:)

stefan
06-01-2012, 10:49 PM
the old chacos were pretty good - esp. the ones w/5.10 dot rubber on 'em. The new ones are made in China and blow.

sadly

they have never been lightweight and your big toe WILL get severed

:)

oh yeah, forgot about that one

Renatomic808
06-02-2012, 03:18 AM
I know I said i retired from canyoneering barefoot... however, anyone wanna take me canyoneering barefoot in Utah, or anywhere? I think i wanna start a trend.

dustinsc
06-02-2012, 05:12 AM
I have been canyoneering twice in a pair of closed-toed chacos. Great grip, not so great ankle support, but overall I'd say it's a lot better than running shoes or whatever else I used on my first canyons. Having said that, my 5.10s were one of the best purchases I ever made.

rurri
06-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Have one friend who swears by his five toe shoes down most canyons. Not for everyone, and not for me, but I guess everyone has their preference.

He generally brings a real pair of shoes along but sometimes never switches. Mystery canyon never switched. Narrows top down, switched about half way.

mcweyen
06-06-2012, 09:32 PM
These seem like a legit option for those who like VIbrams and want to stay warm in the cold water too. http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Flow-Mens.htm

hank moon
06-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Have one friend who swears by his five toe shoes down most canyons. Not for everyone, and not for me, but I guess everyone has their preference.

He generally brings a real pair of shoes along but sometimes never switches. Mystery canyon never switched. Narrows top down, switched about half way.

I've been out with folks who started a trip "swearing by" and ended "swearing at".

Those stunt shoes offer no net advantage over "real" shoes in CP canyons, with several disadvantages: low level of protection and support with very poor traction on sandy slickrock. The wearer is at a significant disadvantage in certain conditions. Yukky.

mcweyen
06-06-2012, 10:54 PM
I wore them in Escalante last year and had great traction with them. You can feel everything and grip very well with them. The disadvantage I see being walking over lots of mid sized rock (anything over an inch but under about two inches). I did not wear them this year in the Cedar Mesa area and I think that was a wise choice.

Bo_Beck
06-07-2012, 06:06 AM
I've been out with folks who started a trip "swearing by" and ended "swearing at".

Those stunt shoes offer no net advantage over "real" shoes in CP canyons, with several disadvantages: low level of protection and support with very poor traction on bare, sandy rock. The wearer is at a significant disadvantage in certain conditions. Yukky.

When I got my first pair of Vibram Fivefinger Sprints they performed beautifully on E. Zion slab climbs; most notably South Ariel Peak and Lead by Sheep on Aires Butte. I figured that since I had such good luck with them on slabs (smearing) I'd give em' a shot at a canyon!? West Fork Fat Mans seemed like a good trial! They performed great.......until I got into the bowells of the canyon. You mention support...well they didn't need any support in the soft sand, but I got support for all ten toes as soon as the wet sand made it's way into each and all 10 toe pockets. It felt like my toes were impacted and couldn't budge, sort of like an individual cast for each toe! Really irritating and uncomfortable. I had to take the shoes off a minimum of 10 times to swish the sand out of the toe pockets. If you think putting on the Fivefingers with dry, warm feet is difficult, try putting them back on when your feet are wet and super cold! When I got to the East Fork and had to walk downstream to the exit, it was miserable walking on the submerged river talus. Conclusion....I won't be using them for canyon hiking again.

Speaking of sandals in canyons; my first trip in Heaps a long time ago (2-day backpack) was done in a pair of Tevas (flip-flop style) with the ankle strap that I resoled with five-ten climbing shoe rubber. They were GREAT with the exception that I couldn't use a sock of any sort and my feet friggin' froze.

Bo_Beck
06-07-2012, 06:21 AM
Speaking of which, my La Sportiva Xplorers are performing and holding up amazingly! I'm lovin' them! So far I've only put on maybe 30-40 miles, but they have excelled in all attributes. Red Mountain, 5 miles of 3rd and a small bit of 4th class scramble. Taylor Creek 6-7 miles of mostly trail with a bit of scrambling above and beyond. South Guardian Angel, 12-14 miles of trail, major bushwack, 3rd and 4th class scrambling. Northgate Peak East, North Guardian Angel, Subway. 3rd and 4th class scrambling, bushwack, swimming, wet slickrock, deep sand hiking. The shoes havent lost their shape or support or stickiness and dont even have a single thread broken or snag in the fabric. They look and feel brand new with minimal wear in the tread. I've been wearing them at work almost every day as well. Anyone teatering on a decision to get a pair; I personally have very high praise and endorse these great shoes.

hank moon
06-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Anyone teatering on a decision to get a pair; I personally have very high praise and endorse these great shoes.

Sadly, I haven't done much teatering lately :naughty:

But hey hey! The real question is: how do they stack up to the good ol' Exum Pro?

Bo_Beck
06-07-2012, 09:03 AM

But hey hey! The real question is: how do they stack up to the good ol' Exum Pro?

Night and day! Much better fit, much less sand migration, much tougher (so far), and much stickier rubber (wet and dry surface). At a price though...Late Exum Pro-$95, new Xplorer-$120.

oldno7
06-07-2012, 09:48 AM

Of course teatering requires a teat, just sayin'

But I must admit--teatering on an edge sounds dangerous, might need to wear a helmet.:eek2:

deagol
06-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Any thoughts on the Canyoneer II ?

ratagonia
06-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Any thoughts on the Canyoneer II ?

The 5.10 Canyoneer II is the gold standard of canyoneering shoes. It has been discussed at great length on this forum. Some people love it, some people loath it. They work well for wet canyoneering, but it takes considerable knowledge to use them effectively.

Tom

hank moon
06-08-2012, 09:09 AM
The 5.10 Canyoneer II is the gold standard of canyoneering shoes. It has been discussed at great length on this forum. Some people love it, some people loath it. They work well for wet canyoneering, but it takes considerable knowledge to use them effectively.

Tom

The words are mostly ok, but need re-arranging and supplementation:

The 5.10 Canyoneer II may be the gold standard of wet canyoneering shoes if you love taking the time and effort to find a size that works with neoprene socks or special socks (cuz they don't work well with just any sock system) and if you love the unpredictable quality, sand-ingression mesh and eventual permanent sand ridges that form inside the shoe. And if you install a decent sock liner or orthotic and don't mind the straps breaking long before the shoe is worn out.

After you accept all that, it may be the gold standard for wet canyoneering shoes that is generally available in the U.S. market and doesn't cost an arm and leg to import/try from Europe where there are many other choices on the market.

ratagonia
06-08-2012, 09:32 AM
The words are mostly ok, but need re-arranging and supplementation:

The 5.10 Canyoneer II may be the gold standard of wet canyoneering shoes if you love taking the time and effort to find a size that works with neoprene socks or special socks (cuz they don't work well with just any sock system) and if you love the unpredictable quality, sand-ingression mesh and eventual permanent sand ridges that form inside the shoe. And if you install a decent sock liner or orthotic and don't mind the straps breaking long before the shoe is worn out.

After you accept all that, it may be the gold standard for wet canyoneering shoes that is generally available in the U.S. market and doesn't cost an arm and leg to import/try from Europe where there are many other choices on the market.

Yeah, what he said.... :naughty:

YMMV

T

Brian in SLC
06-08-2012, 12:04 PM
They work well for wet canyoneering, but it takes considerable knowledge to use them effectively.

Didn't know wearing a pair of shoes was akin to rocket science or brain surgery.

Have always preferred anything but. Still likin' my Exum Rivers...

Scott Card
06-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Didn't know wearing a pair of shoes was akin to rocket science or brain surgery.

... :haha: That was my thought too. To what, Oh Emperor, are you referring?

ratagonia
06-08-2012, 01:24 PM
:haha: That was my thought too. To what, Oh Emperor, are you referring?

What Hank said.

You buy the shoes, then you figure out the socks that will make them comfortable for you.

I'm actually working today, thus the brevity...

T

Brian in SLC
06-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Love to sell you these shoes, but, first, you have to demonstrate "considerable knowledge".

Instead of "Brand of the Brave"..."Brand of the Considerably Knowledgable".

Scott Card
06-08-2012, 01:57 PM
You know..... owning 5.10 Canyoneers, I thought I might be smarter than I thought. :haha:

hank moon
06-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Night and day! Much better fit, much less sand migration, much tougher (so far), and much stickier rubber (wet and dry surface). At a price though...Late Exum Pro-$95, new Xplorer-$120.

Great news, Bo - i'm gettin' a pair!

canyoncaptive
06-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Ok so I bought a pair after demolishing my La Sportiva Quantum's. (actually a trade in on Backcountry.com) Worked for two trips in Fat Mans Misery, After trip #1 I could tell the sole was delaminating. I tried to salvage them with shoe goo. Then on trip #2 Sliding down a big ramp, the sole completely delaminated! I was forced to hike the rest of the canyon with just cheap foam underneath. I would say buy them if your plan is to lounge around at lake powell but to put it mildly, they SUCK. I am returning them shortly. Looking at going and trying out the Adidas Hydro-whatever's.... anyone care to comment on them? Worried about the Zipper on them.

Nick

ratagonia
06-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Ok so I bought a pair after demolishing my La Sportiva Quantum's. (actually a trade in on Backcountry.com) Worked for two trips in Fat Mans Misery, After trip #1 I could tell the sole was delaminating. I tried to salvage them with shoe goo. Then on trip #2 Sliding down a big ramp, the sole completely delaminated! I was forced to hike the rest of the canyon with just cheap foam underneath. I would say buy them if your plan is to lounge around at lake powell but to put it mildly, they SUCK. I am returning them shortly. Looking at going and trying out the Adidas Hydro-whatever's.... anyone care to comment on them? Worried about the Zipper on them.

Nick

You bought a pair of... ????

Without context, it is hard to know what shoe you mean. Perhaps stating it explicitly would help.

Thanks.

Tom

hank moon
06-08-2012, 09:22 PM
You bought a pair of... ????

Without context, it is hard to know what shoe you mean. Perhaps stating it explicitly would help.

X2

canyoncaptive
06-09-2012, 08:25 AM
I purchased a pair of the Chaco Ponsul Baloo's, should rename Ponsul Blows......

Nick

hank moon
06-09-2012, 08:46 AM
I purchased a pair of the Chaco Ponsul Baloo's, should rename Ponsul Blows......

Nick

I am very sorry for you and wish you well on the return. Bloathsome indeed!

canyonguru
06-10-2012, 05:02 PM
I've had a pair of 5.10 savants and have had no issues with them. I have been very happy with the steath rubber and the comfort. They took a coupld of canyons to wear in but they are nice and comfy now. only paid $95 out the door at desert rocks sports here in vegas.

BW123
06-10-2012, 06:19 PM
__

oldno7
06-10-2012, 08:52 PM
I've had a pair of 5.10 savants and have had no issues with them. I have been very happy with the steath rubber and the comfort. They took a coupld of canyons to wear in but they are nice and comfy now. only paid $95 out the door at desert rocks sports here in vegas.

I love Savants, have worn out many pair, the big drawback for me is that they wear out in half a year, 20-30 canyons.

Bo_Beck
06-11-2012, 06:31 AM
I'm on my sixth canyon with my xplorers. I'm pretty hard on shoes and these are the only pair I've had in the last 10 years that were comfortable from the start. My only suggestion would be to aquaseal or glue all the stitching; the sandstone has worn the thread away in several spots and there is now separation between the mesh uppers and the rubber.

BW

I could see how in "skinny canyons" with a lot of foot jamming the threads might be a weak point, and think that by aquasealing, seamgripping or shoo-gooing would greatly extend the Xplorers longevity. I've put maybe 50-60 miles of some pretty rough abuse in the last 4 weeks (Subway twice in the last week, twice down the "alternate route" to the Subway, once way off course and 1 hour of Kip style bushwacking) Northgate Peak, North Guardian Angel, South Guardian Angel, Red Mountain via new route, and working in them almost every day. I absolute LOVE these shoes. I find the rubber as sticky if not more sticky than 3 pair of 5.10's I own, but the shoe is holding up far much better than any of my 5.10's hands down. The shoes have been wet and dirty and cleaned 3 times now and haven't shrunk, stretched or lost a bit of shape and are as comfortable as the day I pulled them out of the box. In fact I wore them in the Subway yesterday, got home last night, washed them, dried them and am wearing them at work right now. They look and feel brand new. Quite a few of the customers that I've sold them to have given me the same report of theirs.

(Bump) The only thing that I see on my shoes that shows any (very little) sign of wear are the shoelaces. I think I'll order some laces today to have them in stock!

tcmault
06-20-2012, 12:22 PM
The Xplorers are sounding better all the time.

Iceaxe
06-20-2012, 02:20 PM
I love Savants,

I have a pair of 5.10 Savants.... but they suffer the same problem as many shoes used in canyoneering. They have exposed stitching and its easy to trash the shoes in a weekend of mae west stuff.

They are a great approach shoe and work well in the rap-n-swim kiddie canyons.... YMMV...

FWIW: Savants are avaiable at Sierra Trading Post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~savant/) right now for $90 ($130 list).

CarpeyBiggs
06-20-2012, 03:26 PM
do those 8.5's at STP fit you pretty well iceaxe? :lol8:

seriously though - savants are nice but they've had bundles of issues too. i preemptively aquaseal the hell out of 'em, and they are the best thing i've found, especially on long hiking days.

my fear with the sportivas is that they have the same problem all their shoes have on me - they are too narrow, especially to wear a neo sock. looks like i need to check 'em out though.

Iceaxe
06-20-2012, 03:54 PM
do those 8.5's at STP fit you pretty well iceaxe? :lol8:

Last week STP had a complete selection of sizes from 8 to 12. The reason I know this is I just bought a new pair. Sorry I didn't notice their selection had diminished.

my fear with the sportivas is that they have the same problem

My dislike of the Sportiva is their rubber doesn't stick very well when its really cold (25 degrees or below), or at least that was the case with the one pair I owned and then gave away.