PDA

View Full Version : I just won a $10000 hottub

jman
05-21-2012, 01:37 PM
So my group and I were bowling at Boondocks Fun Center in Kaysville last month, and saw a contest by ABC4 News and Bullfrog Spas, that said (paraphrasing) - create a 30-second video showing why Boondocks is a fun place to hang out. The grand-place winner will win a $10,000 hot-tub from Bullfrog Spas, and the 30-second video will be used on ABC4 as a commerical.

We thought what the heck....and it shouldn't take too long. We grabbed our GoPros and filmed the various activities, and Jeff our video editor, spliced all the vids into 30seconds, and added some text to it. This probably took a grand-total of 2hours, including editing.

We gave it a reasonable shot, but we were thinking we were NOT going to win at all. We would be beat my some 5yr-old kid saying "I love boondocks, it is fun, and I love my mom and dad....", so we thought.

And the judging would be done by online-voting.

So over this last weekend, I just found out that we won! Apparently, we won by default since we were the only contestants.:bootyshake::bootyshake: ha ha.

Here's the link: http://www.cw30.com/contests (http://www.cw30.com/content/news/story/Brett-Johnson-wins-a-10000-spa/X32hW_41h0ahZ7qQ8xRh_Q.cspx)

Just spreading the good news!

So...anyone down for a hot-tub party??! :2thumbs:

Mtnseeker1
05-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Atta boy and if you find yourself without enough room just remember.:lol8: you know I'll help you out:lol8:
Heck I'd be dancing around :roflol: the office too.
I love to see peeps getting this kind of stuff. Right on.
Now for the big question- Is clothing optional?

Deathcricket
05-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Dude that rocks and awesome story. :2thumbs:

accadacca
05-21-2012, 04:04 PM
AWESOME!!! Man, they must not have promoted the contest very well. :ne_nau:

I'd take it and run! :cool2:

ststephen
05-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Congratulations! I also love the fact that no one else entered their contest. I bet the marketing person who came up with the idea is not having the best month of their career.

One word of caution: find out how they will value this prize when they submit a form to the IRS. I'm guessing you will owe taxes on the prize. They might offer you an alternative to take some cash instead and depending on the value they assign, your tax bracket and how much you actually want a spa taking the cash might be a good choice. YMMV. Just offering some food for thought.

But, once again. How cool and way to go!

jman
05-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks guys!

Again I was very surprised we were the sole contestants. The hottub was in open view and it had the contest papers all over the place. Couldn't really miss it.

I guess people looked at it and figured it would take too long or that they didn't have a chance, etc.

It's funny - this is the 2nd time we have won the grand-prize for a contest involving our GoPro cameras.

Then we use iMovie to edit the films. We're not professionals at all - far from it. Go figure.

Thanks ststephen for the suggestions. My neighbor was saying the same thing to me about taxes. She was saying to check the contract (won't get it until Saturday) and see if it's worth is 9,999 or 10,000+. If it is above 10k, then see if they offer a cash reward etc. Who knows...

Deathcricket
05-22-2012, 08:57 AM
When you found out, did this song pop in your head?????? :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzVB3zHeh4U

Sombeech
05-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Cool, congrats. Sometimes there's hidden stuff too, like you've won (the use of) a hot tub (for 1 year) and stuff like that. But the taxes, good point. Could end up costing you if it's in the wrong bracket.

Scott Card
05-22-2012, 11:23 AM
I learned the tax lesson the hard way when I won "valuable prizes" that consisted of hair care products, a music box, facial scrubs and other non useful stuff. Now my stuff was valued at about 1000 bucks. I would not have accepted the junk had I known about the tax issue back in the day. But I got dinged nontheless.

Iceaxe
05-22-2012, 05:34 PM
So...anyone down for a hot-tub party??! :2thumbs:

I get the feeling this hot tub story is not going to end well.....