PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here heard of Dr. Osborn's Cave?

GoEagles
05-14-2012, 09:51 PM
I was reading a book published in 1921 and it mentions Dr Osborn's Cave. It places the cave at 60 miles NE of Overton, which should put it in the general area of St. George.

Bootboy
05-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Likely one of several lava tubes on the butte or up near snow canyon.

mhambi
05-17-2012, 01:14 PM
I was reading a book published in 1921 and it mentions Dr Osborn's Cave. It places the cave at 60 miles NE of Overton, which should put it in the gerneral area of St. George.

I'm wondering if the directions got transcribed wrong, and it's Overton that is NE of the cave 60 miles... Here's my line of thinking:

Is this the book? http://books.google.com/books?id=xFIoAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA107&lpg=PA107&dq=%22dr+osborn's+cave%22+medicine+indians+overton&source=bl&ots=fjCGzunPSn&sig=CjtAiDAFbCPeEfHrldEjy3h2ffE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Zly1T8q9NYiPigL8m5TZBA&ved=0CEcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Found an additional article here: http://books.google.com/books?id=Om8tAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA434&lpg=PA434&dq=%22dr.+osborn's+cave%22&source=bl&ots=TbRGZU-2n1&sig=eYC0II1LFafPCOf40ytziFPTbSY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YlK1T-XAM-qW2AXhttkQ&ved=0CEgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=%22dr.%20osborn's%20cave%22&f=false

Note the additional information of "near the Mountain Springs" Which could be an area that is about 60ish miles Southwest of Overton. Plus, like the original article, this new version implies that the bottles had already been placed in the cave... so it would have had to have happened before getting to Elder Hatch's location... as Kane was travelling from California to UT.

No idea about the cave though... :lol8: but there is a 'Cave Spring' just south of Mt Potosi... so who knows... I'm probably waaaay off base!

GoEagles
05-21-2012, 10:05 AM
mhambi - you make an interesting argument (60 miles SW of Overton), one that didn't occur to me. And yes, that is the book I'm refering to. I figure the cave has to be close to the Mormon Road, as that is what they were using to go between SLC and San Bernardino, Ca. So I'll need to research the exact path of the Mormon Road.

Like you, I did a google search of Dr Osborn's cave, and there's very little out there.
It's amazing how some names & places just get lost to time ...