PDA

View Full Version : Canyoneering Lunch

chabidiah
05-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Ok, it has been a while since I posted. It got a little too "drama" for me for a while there.
Anyway, this is more of a question on preference. I am looking for a high energy lunch to pack along on a few upcoming canyons. I am getting sick of the tuna fish tortilla wraps and jerky. I was just wondering if anyone has any tasty ideas. Thanks

Bootboy
05-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Salami with apples and smoked Gouda. Keep it classy ;)

I carry string cheese, kippered herring, pepperoni or salami and apples.

blueeyes
05-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Don't do much canyoneering but for hikes and bike rides I have started packing sandwiches made with Flat Out flatbread spinach flavor. With meat of choice and cheese. Watching abirken make sandwiches in Fruita she made them with pesto and I think I will start doing that. Similar to a wrap but different taste with flatbread. Also love hickory farms summer sausage and flavored cache valley curd cheese with triscuits. I think curd cheese holds up better in the heat. Love apples, and cliff bars and fruit roll ups.

moab mark
05-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Strawberry Uncrustables. Froze when you leave perfect at lunch time. 2 or 3 hits the spot.:nod:

Iceaxe
05-14-2012, 04:42 PM
A real man can live on nothing but beef jerky and Gatorade for a lifetime..... :slobber:

optikal
05-15-2012, 10:22 AM
SPAM singles (haha, yeah, backpacking buddy turned me onto them)

Honey Stinger Waffles (not cheap but so delicious)

An orange (citrus is so amazing when you're hungry and thirsty) or apple

Baby carrots

Good ole gorp

Homemade beef jerky (I like it mix it up with strips and nuggets)

Homemade fruit rollups

reflection
05-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Dining in the outdoors, the situation always evolves. If in a tech canyon with lotsa water and bodies are constantly moving then dining options differ - at least for me. If in a canyon though where one can stop and prep food items then a more diverse set of options exist. Carbs, Protien and Fat (and calories and hydration), that's always in the back of my mind. The wrong carbs (too much glucose/sugar) will ramp up the blood sugar and impact performance. Some items have too much sodium/or alternatively some degree of sodium is wanted/needed on a long arduous day.

Short trips or situations where I've got to quickly grab. Fuji or Gala/Braeburn Apple, Sport Beans & a mix of EmergenC with a flavored fruit packet (low in sugar and sodium). I use an energy bar made by a Park City outfit; tasty and full of protein, good carbs and some fat. (the name fails me)

Situations where we can stop and prep. Pocket sandwich (can't remember brand); avacado, tomato, olive spread, humus, sweet peppers; or, hot pepper bagels and cream cheese; & with either option, a pear or apple with premier cheese. Carry a small plastic plate and sharp knife. Beef or turkey jurkey. (olive spread and humus are post packaged in plastic screw top jars); Semi-healthy crackers mixed with cheese and fruit. If in season - arugala is brought to mix in sandwiches or with crackers.

A goal is to get electrolytes (drink something other than just water/or something else in combo with water). Food should be enjoyable, tasty and add to outing. Sometimes the food, with sunny laughing partners, and the bursting datura or desert primose are the best part of the day.

Don
05-15-2012, 05:00 PM
SPAM singles (haha, yeah, backpacking buddy turned me onto them)

Even though he get's a lot of laughs for it (see pic) but Cody brings these ALL the time. Usually he puts one between two pieces of flat bread with mustard. I finally tried it but with a tortilla instead of bread and spicy brown mustard and it was pretty good. (I always snag extra individual packets of spicy mustard at Gandolfos or the deli section in Target supermarkets.)
I happened to have some extra chopped cilantro from a breakfast dish and dumped that on my spam-wich; actually pretty damn good. I'll be eating that on more trips. :2thumbs:

Don
05-15-2012, 05:08 PM
I thought I had another funny pic of Cody and Spam from our first FF, but it was Josh rolling wieners in a tortilla, also a canyon fav!

Don
05-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Hahaha, it's not in a canyon, but here's some how to make a spam-wich instructional pictures:

:haha:

SRG
05-15-2012, 05:47 PM
"Strawberry Uncrustables. Froze when you leave perfect at lunch time. 2 or 3 hits the spot."

Mmmmmmmmm :nod:

DesertDuke
05-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Even though he get's a lot of laughs for it (see pic) but Cody brings these ALL the time. Usually he puts one between two pieces of flat bread with mustard. I finally tried it but with a tortilla instead of bread and spicy brown mustard and it was pretty good. (I always snag extra individual packets of spicy mustard at Gandolfos or the deli section in Target supermarkets.)
I happened to have some extra chopped cilantro from a breakfast dish and dumped that on my spam-wich; actually pretty damn good. I'll be eating that on more trips. :2thumbs:

I was stationed on the island of Okinawa for two tours. They consider spam a delicacy and eat more per capita than anywhere else. I eat spam every now and then, but packing it for miles?? Your friend with the Okinawan food tendency is a bit nuts. Dry, light jerky and some chocolate breakfast bars easily cover the day.

peakbaggers
05-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Use to always have some vienna sausage on our mountain climbs like in the photo of Josh. Love those things with just some spicy mustard to dip them into. And Spam?? We thought we were the only people in America that still ate it! :roll:
As for our healthy lunch, we usually take apple (already sliced); our own custom gorp mix; frozen fruit drink (usually thawed by lunch) NutRoll or Payday (only candy bar that doesn't melt) string cheese; maybe some summer sausage or Canadian bacon. We're learning, keep it small, non-crushable for pack tosses and able to take the heat. Obviously a banana won't work.:nono: Of course, if you really want to go spartan, there's plenty of gnats, ants, prickly pear fruit and pothole water. And if you're really lucky, a nice rattlesnake. Yum - tastes like chicken. :haha:

tcott
05-15-2012, 09:02 PM
It's not lunch without gummi bears

Don
05-16-2012, 09:56 AM
... I eat spam every now and then, but packing it for miles?? Your friend with the Okinawan food tendency is a bit nuts.

One of my favorite lunches is also a little heavy; a selection of various olives from the Harmons olive bar, some hummus and flat bread. Yum.

skiclimb3287
05-16-2012, 10:10 AM
A real man can live on nothing but beef jerky and Gatorade for a lifetime..... :slobber:

Agreed...but got to add Gummi Bears in. Always in my pack...gummi bears, jerky, and a probar. I can go all day on that!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Scott Card
05-16-2012, 10:58 AM
My secret to a canyoneering lunch is a really good breakfast. Nothing in a canyoneering backpack is going to be that good after swimming, tossing and smashing. I have packed a multitude of granola bars, protein bars, snickers in all varieties, string cheese, apples, oranges, etc. etc. I have kinda settled on albacore tuna packets with some mayo and crackers, an orange and trail mix. I still usually have some kind of snickers or gummy something too just to give me a short sugar rush. :haha: I also survive on the thought of an ice cold Mountain Dew and a Ray's burger at the end of the day.

accadacca
05-16-2012, 03:56 PM
I also survive on the thought of an ice cold Mountain Dew and a Ray's burger at the end of the day.
Amen brutha!! :haha:

Iceaxe
05-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Strawberry Uncrustables. Froze when you leave perfect at lunch time. 2 or 3 hits the spot.:nod:

I bought some for this weekend.... :2thumbs:... first time.

jman
05-16-2012, 08:16 PM
. :haha: I also survive on the thought of an ice cold Mountain Dew and a Ray's burger at the end of the day.

Rays? The food is pretty good and all if you are in the area but I rather drive the extra hr to Groggs in Price for great tasting food. Especially their Philly cheese sandwich and fries! Mmmmm

However.......I must say Rays has incredible customer service! They even kept their grill open even as we were 20minutes late getting there!

Iceaxe
05-16-2012, 08:23 PM
We always hit Groogs for dinner on the way down (Italian dip is my favorite) and Ray's on the way home.... the best of both worlds.

And we wash it all down with a a local micro brew. :pitcher:

chabidiah
05-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Nice, I think I am going for the strawberry uncrustables also...