PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Lady Mountain (Zion National Park)

Bo_Beck
05-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Instead of making edits to the book...which I should be doing, but I work so much more efficiently in the early morning, I thought I'd mention since Lady Mountain is one of the hikes being presented in the book........Middle Emerald Pools Trail is indefinitely CLOSED and may be permanently closed! A landslide occured in 2010 which destabilized a large area between the trailhead and the access to Lady Mountain. The Park has been waiting for the landslide to stabilize prior to beginning work on the trail, but the earth is still moving. The trail is being removed from park maps. According to the superintendent, it will be at least 5 years before the trail is rebuilt. It may never be rebuilt. As long as the Middle Emerald Trail is closed, those that wish to complete the Lady Mountain hike should approach the route via the Lower Emerald Pools Trail to avoid the the unstable landslide. The trail is not maintained past the Middle Emerald Pools and Lady Mountain hikers should evaluate the stability of landslides prior to crossing them.

Dean Kurtz and I went up to the Lady Mountain hike as far as the Moki Steps today and will have the info. for the route included in the book that Tanya and I are almost completed writing. There is currently a sign at the Middle Pools that warns hikers that the trail is closed with a penalty of $100 for ignoring, but after careful consideration of Ray, Cindy, Annette, Pete, Jock and others it has been determined that hikers will be allowed to continue beyond without penalty if their intent is to hike Lady Mountain and that it will be done at their own risk. I will certainly explain further within our book. Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!