PDA

View Full Version : Double ATC setup

dougr
05-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Experimenting in South CG. Anyone rigged like this instead of with a tether to the top unit?

Doug

Slot Machine
05-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Experimenting in South CG. Anyone rigged like this instead of with a tether to the top unit?

I've rigged very similar setups, but not that exact one. Placing stacked ATC's close together is problematic. The angles where the rope enters/exits the top ATC and enters the bottom ATC are somewhat severe and create too much friction. On a brand new single 8mm Imlay rope I could hardly move (I weigh 170lbs). Also, the rope tended to "hop" significantly.

Seperating the ATC's with an extension creates more favorable angles against the rope without any "hop"; at least for a guy my size and the type of rope I use. The difference seems negligible when you look at it, but it feels noticeably different. Dunno how else to explain it. :ne_nau:

The extra biner on the bottom ATC is probably overkill, unless you are really big.

I'd recommend finding a short local cliff and trying out a bunch of different friction setups before trying them in a canyon. Obvious advice I suppose... but recently we tried out 15 different setups in an afternoon this way. A quick, safe and easy way to answer lots of questions. So much of it is feel; asking questions on Bogley will only get you so far. You might like the setup in question, but I'll bet you won't.

Check out some of the setups I've experimented with here:
http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?62272-How-to-rappel-from-300-feet

Bob