PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Burro Wash 4/28/12

Taylor
05-07-2012, 01:01 PM
I had forgotten how amazing the Torrey/Capitol Reef area is to drive through. One friend joined us in Burro. It was his first technical canyon hike. Although not technically difficult, I thought Burro had a lot of "character" and was well worth it. The canyon was almost totally dry. We did not do the loop hike back through Pleasant Creek as I could not convince my wife that the extra 3 hours of hiking would be better than sitting in the shuttle car for an hour. I did check out the escape route from Burro over to PC and it looked good. Perfect weather helped make this an excellent way to spend a Saturday.:nod:

ilipichicuma
05-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Nice! Burro Wash is a great canyon, way to get out there! :2thumbs:

New Mexico
05-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Nice:2thumbs:

Iceaxe
05-07-2012, 03:00 PM
When coming in from the bottom... how far up Burro Wash can you drive?

At one time you could drive up Burro Wash about 1.5 miles. But then the BLM closed the wash to vehicles, then open, then closed... just wondering what the current status was.

Taylor
05-07-2012, 04:05 PM
We just parked in the pullout on the side of the Notom/Bullfrog road and I didn't even remember that you could drive up the wash. On the hike out I didn't see any evidence that vehicles had been in there and the walking trail was well traveled all the way back to the road so that might suggest that you don't/can't drive the wash. That last 1.5/2 miles of walking back to the road really had me wishing we had done those miles in Pleasant Creek instead. Next time.

ratagonia
05-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Nice TR, thanks.

Fixed one of your pics for you...