PDA

View Full Version : patching wetsuits

nat
05-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Does anyone have any good suggestions for what glue to use when patching wetsuits? I will be gluing neopreme scavenged from very old wetsuits onto old wetsuits.

Nat

trackrunner
05-03-2012, 07:56 AM
i've used shoe glue to glue together small tears and seam welds. no clue on old wetsuit patch on to another wetsuit, maybe seam glue?

ratagonia
05-03-2012, 08:24 AM
I've used the McNett Seal Cement to make things new. Works well for gluing edges together, not sure it would work for gluing edges to edges. Prolly available at REI and/or Sid's.

http://www.mcnett.com/Seal-Cement-Contact-Cement-for-Neoprene-P235.aspx

I've used Aquaseal and it works, especially thinned down a LOT with Cotol, but the patch ends up being non-stretch so it does not work REAL well.

Tom

tcott
05-03-2012, 09:13 AM
I've used Aquaseal and it works, especially thinned down a LOT with Cotol, but the patch ends up being non-stretch so it does not work REAL well.

If you do opt for the non stretchy option McNett SeamGrip is the same compound as aquaseal only thinner.

nat
05-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys. I'll look for the McNett Seal Cement.

Nat

DOSS
05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
I have moved away from the aqua-nett stuff and just get some clear RTV adhesive sealant at Auto Zone.. seems to have better adhesion, flexible and cheap :)