PDA

View Full Version : Iron Wash approach

ratagonia
04-30-2012, 08:23 AM
MOD: So I moved out the post from Eardley into this one to keep it separate and to provide discussion.

I was just there this last weekend and it's dry. Eardley has some swimmers but the water levels are low!

The Goblin Lair was bone dry (not even mud was present), Knotted Rope had a few potholes with waist-deep water but most keepers were dry, and Zero G, just had it's 3 mandatory swims. Other than that, if you want swimmers, I'd hold off until that area receives some rain and refills. It's dry!!

Oh, and my suggestion would be if you are doing Iron Wash Canyon, is to go up the canyon until the keeper and return the same way you came. Otherwise, it's a long long canyon for little reward, IMO, especially with very low water.

Iron Wash: hike upcanyon from where? I've hiked in from the bottom - thought it was a nice walk, but not short, and did not get me anywhere near the interesting section.

T

jman
04-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Iron Wash: hike upcanyon from where? I've hiked in from the bottom - thought it was a nice walk, but not short, and did not get me anywhere near the interesting section.

T

So we drive to the drilling derick, and hike to the canyon which is pretty short. After you get past the keeper (do the keeper or turn around there), go back the way you came. Sorry I should of clarified better, hiking from the bottom sucks. It's a LONG hike that way. Even with the drilling derrik approach, Iron wash, IMO, isn't a classic canyon. But I think if anyone publishes beta should include this approach, instead of the wash approach. It's 3/4 mile walk to the canyon from the derrik compared to what, a 3mile-one-way hike just to enter it?
Edit: underlined for emphasis!