PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Resume -

USofCS
04-30-2012, 10:24 AM
So just as a way of connecting I was curious of the numbers of canyons people on here have done and how many years they have been canyoneering?

Deathcricket
04-30-2012, 12:09 PM
9 inches, decent girth:2thumbs:

Slot Machine
04-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Meh, I'm 4 inches bent severely to the left. Like a coat hook that points to the side instead of pointing up.

Middle Leprechaun is really good. :mrgreen:

(Dammit, DC beat me to the joke... :lol8:)

Sombeech
04-30-2012, 02:21 PM
So just as a way of connecting I was curious of the numbers of canyons people on here have done and how many years they have been canyoneering?

Below everybody's avatar, under the posts and threads you'll see a link "My Trip Reports". Of course that will only include threads they've started with the prefix of [Trip Report] :bandit: It might not be everything of what you're looking for but it's a start.

ratagonia
04-30-2012, 02:48 PM
You could set an example by posting your own.

Tom

USofCS
04-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Sure...I started in 2003 down in Southern California now live in Colorado Springs. I have been through around 175 canyons.

TommyBoy
04-30-2012, 10:32 PM
I just started last year the end of june, I've done 18-20 canyons, although I repeated a couple, I think 13-14 different ones. Mostly in ZNP and the North Wash area. I've got a lot planned for this summer if I can find partners to go with me. I wanna do a bunch in the Roost and the Swell.

Renatomic808
04-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Started Thanksgiving of 2010.. Done about 30 routes... Few first descents. Been out an average of 2xs a week for a total of over 75 times since I started?

ratagonia
05-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Sure...I started in 2003 down in Southern California now live in Colorado Springs. I have been through around 175 canyons.

You call that a resume? :ne_nau: Must not want the job very bad...:haha:

Tom

Iceaxe
05-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Home: Utahahaha

Skills: God Like

First slot canyon: 1980 (give or take a year).

Number of Canyons: I lost count years ago. If you know how many canyons you have done it must not be very many

Forced Bivies: one

Accidents requiring more than band aids (duct tape) and/or aspirin: None, this includes all members of any group I have been part of and the statistic I'm most proud of.

Additional skills: Ability to spit and pee while standing in high places. Also good and pillaging small villages.

:popcorn:

davidmjamison
05-01-2012, 10:41 AM
This is a resume format ive been using. It is 60 descents and 32 different canyons, i have been leading my own trips since may 2011, got taken on trips 3 times before that.

spinesnaper
05-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Who started this silly thread? I think the forced bivies and injuries requiring SAR assistance are much more interesting than the total number of canyons. Although, personally I'd love to see RAM's or Tom's list. Of course, if I am canyoneering with you, I want to know if you've done more than the Subway and a forced swim in Yankee Doodle (No, mentally working your way through Heaps in your living room doesn't count).:haha:

Ken

Slot Machine
05-02-2012, 08:08 AM
(No, mentally working your way through Heaps in your living room doesn't count).:haha:

Ken

Just when I thought we could hang out I discover I'm still not worthy.

:cry1::cry1::cry1::cry1:

Bob :lol8:

shaggy125
05-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Canyon Trip Reports I've read - 563

Canyon threads I've posted to - 1024

Noobs I've blasted - 76

People I've ripped to shreds because I didn't agree with their views - 23

I'm one of the most bad-a$$ internet canyoneers AROUND!!!!! :bootyshake:

taatmk
05-02-2012, 11:49 AM
I've never descended a canyon that I have not liked; and any day in the out-of-doors beats a day at work.

spinesnaper
05-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Just when I thought we could hang out I discover I'm still not worthy.

:cry1::cry1::cry1::cry1:

Bob :lol8:

Bob

I know it's bad but at least you can make tear water tea.

Ken

Dan-wild
05-04-2012, 10:30 PM
This is stupid. Are we applying for a job? Have fun out there :2thumbs:

ratagonia
05-06-2012, 02:48 PM
There's some validity here. When someone is fishing to be invited on a trip, knowing who they are canyon-wise could be really useful. Are they challenged by The Subway, or up for an Imlay? "Done a few canyons" has a large range of meanings.

Whether a separate thread is appropriate? Whatever!

Tom

xxnitsuaxx
05-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Here be my stats

Number of unplanned bivies - 1
Number of fires made in a national park as result of unplanned bivvy - 1
Remorse over building said fire (on a scale from 1-10) - 7
Satisfaction that said fire forestalled hypothermia and death (on a scale from 1-10) - 10
Bandanas used in lieu of toilet paper - 2
Whole rotisserie chickens carried through and consumed in canyons - 3
Number of good makeouts in canyons - 4
Number of naps taken in canyons - dozens
Number of times my angelic 56 year old mother has said "shit" while on rappel - dozens
Nightmares I had about the crux at Sandthrax - 1
Days I've regretted skipping work\school to be outside - 0

Iceaxe
05-06-2012, 07:57 PM
There's some validity here.

Except for the fact that most breathing accidents waiting to happen don't actually understand they are an accident waiting to happen.....

I treat all new partners as an accident waiting to happen until I've had the pleasure of forming my own opinion.... it just seems to be the safety and prudent assumption.

spinesnaper
05-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Except for the fact that most breathing accidents waiting to happen don't actually understand they are an accident waiting to happen.....

I treat all new partners as an accident waiting to happen until I've had the pleasure of forming my own opinion.... it just seems to be the safety and prudent assumption.

Sadly, doing a canyon with someone and performing a continuous rescue of someone in that same canyon is a fine line. If you have to continuously rescue someone they should at least have a good sense of humor about it (and buy beers at the end of the day).

Ken

spinesnaper
05-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Here be my stats

Number of unplanned bivies - 1
Number of fires made in a national park as result of unplanned bivvy - 1
Remorse over building said fire (on a scale from 1-10) - 7
Satisfaction that said fire forestalled hypothermia and death (on a scale from 1-10) - 10
Bandanas used in lieu of toilet paper - 2
Whole rotisserie chickens carried through and consumed in canyons - 3
Number of good makeouts in canyons - 4
Number of naps taken in canyons - dozens
Number of times my angelic 56 year old mother has said "shit" while on rappel - dozens
Nightmares I had about the crux at Sandthrax - 1
Days I've regretted skipping work\school to be outside - 0

Now that's the kind of resume that's worth reading.

Rotisserie chicken-priceless.:hail2thechief::hail2thechief:

Ken

Taylor
05-07-2012, 11:48 AM
There's some validity here. When someone is fishing to be invited on a trip, knowing who they are canyon-wise could be really useful. Are they challenged by The Subway, or up for an Imlay? "Done a few canyons" has a large range of meanings.

Because I plan on fishing for partners or fishing to be invited on some trips this year, here ya go:

The facts:
42 years old (old enough to know that I don't know very much)
40 years in the out-of-doors. Parents started taking us camping young because it was a cheap vacation and they were poor.
19 years hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, boating, river running, camping, climbing around Utah with Laura and our friends/family.
3 years as a "technical canyoneer".
Pine Creek a few times, Subway a few times, Mystery, Spry, Behunin, Birch Hollow, The Squeeze, Quandary Direct, Music, Good Day Jim, Blue John, Burro, a few Vegas and Phoenix canyons, most of the technical routes around Moab/Arches.

And on June 23, 2011 I experienced the most focused/intense couple of hours of my life on the final rap sequence of Heaps.

AJ
05-08-2012, 11:50 PM

Whether a separate thread is appropriate? Whatever!

Tom

I've done a few canyons... :haha:

Here's the most up to date list I have, however, it severely needs updating as it's only current to 12/2009. Likely around 500-ish now...
http://www.adventure-geek.com/outdrres.htm#CANYONEERING

(Mostly) Unplanned bivvies: 1

Significant Injuries from groups joined/led: 1 (Not me, and group self-rescued; no SAR involvement.)

Number of times blasted by Shaggy: 3

:popcorn:

dustinsc
05-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Number of years canyoneering: 2
Girls convinced to date me after taking her through a canyon: 1
Canyons descended while wearing a bright yellow ski helmet: about 12
Number of appearances on local television saying something dumb in relation to canyoneering: 1
Acrophobic/claustrophobic siblings taken through a canyon: 2