PDA

View Full Version : TR - Upper Echo / The Lemon Start, Zion, June 2011

ratagonia
04-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Pics and story up on the Latest Rave:

http://www.canyoneeringcentral.com/rave/echo-canyon-zion-the-big-start-june-2011/

Enjoy.

Tom

SlickRock
05-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks for posting ~ I was just reviewing Zion map and wondering about the suspicious topo lines up canyon from middle Echo.

And isn’t there an alt start for middle Echo a half mile from std start ~ thought I saw you and oldno7 post on it… With longer raps and a bit more action? Is it true and if so worth the effort?

Thx!

ratagonia
05-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks for posting ~ I was just reviewing Zion map and wondering about the suspicious topo lines up canyon from middle Echo.

And isn’t there an alt start for middle Echo a half mile from std start ~ thought I saw you and oldno7 post on it… With longer raps and a bit more action? Is it true and if so worth the effort?

Thx!

I think of Middle Echo as something you do in the middle of summer when it is scorchin' hot out. Yes, you can go higher up and there is a little more action… but not much. Certainly nothing you would consider a longer rappel. I like the way I go which gets you into the shade right away. Other people like hiking further and getting more action – I don’t think it is worth the effort.

Tom

SlickRock
05-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Alright... I'll have a week in Zion in early Aug, so it's good to know that Echo is good choice when it's hot. I suppose Spry would not be considered similarly?

ratagonia
05-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Spry works pretty well if you get an early start. Can be mighty hot at the end, till you hit that pool in Pine Creek.

T