PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Bluejohn

Taylor
04-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Laura and I needed a canyon fix Saturday and this one was on our list after reading Aron's book a few years back. We went down East and back up Main. Everything was bone dry. Fun upclimbing to get out of the Main Fork. Too bad half of the 11 miles was sand slog. Wouldn't want to do it in summer-75 degrees was warm enough. It was a long day, down and back from Draper. The roads are very washboarded right now. Good times...

Iceaxe
04-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Welcome to Bogley. :2thumbs:

Thanks for the TR.

ghawk
04-23-2012, 01:39 PM
:2thumbs:

PG Rob
04-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Nice first post and TR

Byron
04-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Yes of course, big thumbs up:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

ratagonia
04-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Great TR, thanks.

What was that second rope/handline attached to?

Whatever was in the bottom of the pack musta been mighty valuable, bein' as y'all brought a helmet to protect it. :facepalm1:

Tom :moses:

Taylor
04-23-2012, 08:47 PM
What was that second rope/handline attached to?

Whatever was in the bottom of the pack musta been mighty valuable, bein' as y'all brought a helmet to protect it.

I expected both of these from Tom:nod:

The handline was tied off to a boulder 10-15' up canyon. That was the drop you suggested to sequence/partner assist down. I know, we should have cleaned up that "trash" and hauled it outta there. And yes, Laura was protecting her pb&j sandwich with the helmet.

Can you identify the flower in the first photo? I have always called it "indian paint brush".

Thanks for the "welcome" Shane. I will be renewing my Climb-Utah membership next week (don't mind paying for beta):haha:

After stalking Bogley for a few years (originally as a mtn biker) I decided it was time to contribute something.

ratagonia
04-23-2012, 08:53 PM
I expected both of these from Tom:nod:

The handline was tied off to a boulder 10-15' up canyon. That was the drop you suggested to sequence/partner assist down. I know, we should have cleaned up that "trash" and hauled it outta there. And yes, Laura was protecting her pb&j sandwich with the helmet.

Can you identify the flower in the first photo? I have always called it "indian paint brush".

Thanks for the "welcome" Shane. I will be renewing my Climb-Utah membership next week (don't mind paying for beta):haha:

After stalking Bogley for a few years (originally as a mtn biker) I decided it was time to contribute something.

I try not to disappoint...

If you find the trash in the canyon useful, it is often best to leave it. It is when people don't find it useful that I object to leaving it.

When it is really hot out, sometimes I do not wear a helmet. But I would definitely put it on for the pictures... I mean, for the rappel.

There are several species of Indian Paint Brush. Genus is Castilleja. Looks like it might be Slickrock Paintbrush, Castilleja scabrida.

Tom

Sandstone Addiction
04-24-2012, 08:57 AM
I enjoyed your TR! :2thumbs: Look like fun canyons. I like all the photos, but I really like the one with the boulders hanging over the slot. Thanks for sharing.:nod: