tcott
04-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Sold

tcott
06-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Sold

Iceaxe
06-04-2012, 09:41 PM
FYI if you plan to do any underwater Video hang on to the one you have. The 2 has a problem focusing underwater Caused by the housing.

tcott
06-05-2012, 07:23 AM
FYI if you plan to do any underwater Video hang on to the one you have. The 2 has a problem focusing underwater Caused by the housing.

They just released a dive housing accessory to remedy the underwater focusing issue.
http://www.adventurepluslc.com/scuba/cameras/gopro-accessories/dive-housing.html

Iceaxe
06-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Yeah... and it's only anther $50.

I have no interest in purchasing and carrying a seperate housing through a slot canyon to shot underwater. I sometimes shot a small amount of underwater video that I can splice into my movie to add a little something extra.

Anyhoo.... just though you might be interested if you didn't already know. To me the underwater issue is reason enough not to upgrade to the 2. YMMV...

CarpeyBiggs
06-05-2012, 09:43 AM
fwiw, that focusing issue exists on the GoPro1's as well. It's a flaw with the super wide angle lens when water comes into contact with the curved optical element. EyeOfMine has been making scuba housings to fix that problem ever since the first gopro came out. Fortunately, GoPro has recognized the issue and now is making a flat port for the cameras too.

http://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.com/Prof_Flat_Lens_Housing_p/euwl-p.htm

Iceaxe
06-05-2012, 10:19 AM
fwiw, that focusing issue exists on the GoPro1's as well.

I'm no expert on the issue.... here is what I know.... I was filming at a hot spring with a friend. I had a GoPro1 and he had a GoPro2. When we came home my video was the normal excellent product I'd come to expect from Go-Pro and his looked like crap. After some research we were told the housing was the issue....

So.... my question is why did my video look great and his look like crap? Did I just get lucky that day? Do different camera settings make a difference? I shoot every thing on R3.

tcott
06-05-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm no expert on the issue.... here is what I know.... I was filming at a hot spring with a friend. I had a GoPro1 and he had a GoPro2. When we came home my video was the normal excellent product I'd come to expect from Go-Pro and his looked like crap. After some research we were told the housing was the issue....

So.... my question is why did my video look great and his look like crap? Did I just get lucky that day? Do different camera settings make a difference? I shoot every thing on R3.

The GoPro 1 and 2 use the exact same housing, the inner camera is only difference. Not sure what caused your videos to come out so different, could be settings, could be lighting, or my personal favorite user error :haha:.

CarpeyBiggs
06-05-2012, 11:16 AM

It's hard to say, I haven't looked into it that in depth, so I can't say for sure. 720p is shot at a different angle of view than 1080p, so that could be it. It's impossible to know without doing a side by side comparison directly.

Many people had issues with the GoPro1 underwater filming though, especially scuba divers, that's why the flat lens ports were developed.

That said, the GoPro2 is a huge upgrade in image quality for pretty much everything else. Footage from the 2 has noticeably better resolution than the 1, and it has full wide angle view at 1080p.

But like tcott said, the housing and everything is identical between the two cameras, the only difference is internal camera workings. The lens on the 2 is much improved.

Iceaxe
06-05-2012, 02:12 PM
That said, the GoPro2 is a huge upgrade in image quality for pretty much everything else. Footage from the 2 has noticeably better resolution than the 1, and it has full wide angle view at 1080p.

Just so you guys know..... if you talk me into buying anther new camera my wife is going to kick your butt....

:lol8:

jbick
06-05-2012, 02:41 PM
my personal favorite user error :haha:.

Haha so true :nod:

tcott
06-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Just so you guys know..... if you talk me into buying anther new camera my wife is going to kick your butt....

I'm not scared.
http://www.adventurepluslc.com/canyon/cameras/cameras/hd-hero-2-outdoor-edition.html