PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Quandary direct

hikster11
04-11-2012, 12:10 AM
I spent the weekend with my family in the Swell over Easter. Friday the 5th my brother Bryce and I hiked Quandary direct. This was my first time down Quandary and it was great. The canyon was almost completely dry. All water was avoidable with a little work. All anchors and webbing were in good shape. I only had to redo the dead man before the fist big keeper. This was a lot of fun because; this is the biggest pot hole I had ever come across. I tossed a pot shot across then repelled into the hole and tied off just above the water. I was than able the climb up the rope tied to my pot shot. Did this without getting my feet wet and this pot hole was deep. There were a few other pot holes with water that were a little tricky. We ate lunch at the bottom of Quandary then started our way to Ramp Canyon. It was really windy when we started a climb up to Quandary, but once in the canyon and the rest of the day the wind had stopped. Turn out to a very nice day. I used Climb-Utah beta for this trip and was well prepared. Great site and well defined. I had little more weight in my pack than needed. Was not sure how hard the pot holes were going to be the get out of, so I had lots of stuff. If this canyon was half full or full it would be totally different. Took us 7 hours to complete our route.

New Mexico
04-11-2012, 07:05 AM
Nice TR and pictures. This looks like one I need to put on my list. Too bad I didn't know you were in the area maybe we could have hooked up on Saturday.

Slot Machine
04-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Nice TR! You only used one Potshot to skirt that pothole? If so, nice job!

Did you use any other noteworthy tricks or techniques?

Bob

ghawk
04-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Nice TR :2thumbs:

ratagonia
04-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Great pics, nice pack!

Tom

hikster11
04-11-2012, 07:32 AM
One pot shot was all I needed. I used an ascender to climb the rope so I had good hand holds.

hikster11
04-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Love the pack and all Imlay gear

wasatchghost
04-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Nice, Duane. Thanks for sharing

Iceaxe
04-11-2012, 08:17 AM
:2thumbs: Nice pics.

peakbaggers
04-11-2012, 10:52 AM
That next to last photo has some really nice "grain/design" in the sandstone. Nice job using the potshot and avoiding the water.:stud:

WorkBad
06-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Not sure how I missed this from years past. These are some awesome pics, really tells the story of adventure. I'd love to do more canyons in this area when time permits.

hikster11
06-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Not sure how I missed this from years past. These are some awesome pics, really tells the story of adventure. I'd love to do more canyons in this area when time permits.

Quandary is a fun canyon. I have done most in that area of the Swell. The Squeeze and Quandary are my favorite in that area. Next time I do Quandary I will go up Knotted Rope instead of Ramp Canyon. That would make for a very fun day

WorkBad
06-02-2014, 10:54 PM
I need to get out to the S. Swell more often. I've only done a few canyons out there. Quandary/ K. Rope are high on my list. Maybe someday we could hit up that route together?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

hikster11
06-02-2014, 11:59 PM
I need to get out to the S. Swell more often. I've only done a few canyons out there. Quandary/ K. Rope are high on my list. Maybe someday we could hit up that route together?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yes Pm sent

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk