PDA

View Full Version : Angle Cove Exit Beta

nieder81
04-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Next weekend I am thinking about heading to Angel Canyons. I have never been there before. I have got good beta on the canyons, but want some additional beta on the Angel Cove Exit. I am looking at Climb Utah beta and it makes the exit sound exposed. One of the people going really hates steep exposed slick rock sections. She has done Larry's Canyon and it was tough for her but she did it. Can somebody let me know how it compares to Larry's or post some pics of the exit. Also would it be possible to belay her through the worst of it.

davehuth
04-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Angel Cove exit is a walk out if you are patient in selecting your way, yes its steep in some places yet you should not have to go to your hands or fear sliding down. For the last push, make an adjustment to that picture on Climb Utah's route map, instead of going to the right of the 'red stain' go to the left of it to avoid the exposure and steep grunt (there now is a social trail there). Going to the left at the 'red stain' presents one tiny bit of exposure where you could toss a piece of webbing to your friend if she wants it.

nieder81
04-10-2012, 06:05 PM
That is kinda what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the extra beta.

penmartens
04-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Here are a few pics of the exit. The climb through the carmel layer to the top will be the steepest. A handline can be used there if needed.

nat
04-11-2012, 09:35 AM
It is definitely less steep than the exit out of Larry.

Nat

DWayne27
04-18-2012, 12:53 PM
It is definitely less steep than the exit out of Larry.

Nat

Definitely. I am also a little nervous with steep and exposed exits. For Larry, I think I may have had a handline at the very top, but coming out of Angel Slot and Angel Cove we didnt encounter anything that was even close to needing a handline. At least not that I can remember, it has been awhile...

New Mexico
04-18-2012, 03:22 PM
We exited on the right using the beta from Climb-Utah and it wasn't that bad. I'ts alot easier and not as steep as the Larry exit.

Iceaxe
04-19-2012, 10:34 AM
FYI: If you hang a hard right on the exit you can hike over and descend the South Fork and get a great two-for-one deal with only a little extra effort.