PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Outside Magazine Article

dfsfilm
04-05-2012, 01:19 PM
[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]I

ratagonia
04-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Dave Roberts' Mystery Canyon... Krakauer along???

Seminal.

T :moses:

csovka
04-05-2012, 03:16 PM
I remember that article too. It was from June 1995 and was called "In The Canyon Incognita" by David Roberts (an author of many excellent climbing books).

Here's a link to a text version of the article I found (sorry, long time lurker/first time poster, and by the forum rules I couldn't include the actual link..):

w w w.outsideonline.com/templates/Outside_Print_Template?content=123332773

dfsfilm
04-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Tom and Csovka - thanks for the response... and thanks for the link to the article - that is very helpful.

Having done some research on this, quite a few folks mention having heard the term 'canyoneering' for the first time from Outside magazine. I thought 'canyon incognita' might have been it, but 1995 doesn't seem early enough. My next question - do you guys recal seeing 'canyoneering' printed prior to that article. One person I interviewed thought the first article to mention canyoneering was from Mariah magazine - Outside's original name prior to the 80's.

FYI - i'm currently having this same discusion with Outside magazine, but haven't turned up anything yet.

Thanks again for your help - and let me know if anything else comes to mind.

- Brian

Iceaxe
04-05-2012, 04:08 PM
I’m wondering if anybody might remember an old article printed in Outside Magazine – perhaps one of the first print-mentions of the term ‘canyoneering.’

FWIW: I was told the term 'canyoneering' was coined and first used by a member of John Wesley Powell’s 1869 expedition. I have never bothered to research this and see if it was true. I know for fact the term canyoneering was popular among Colorado river rafters in the 1950's.

Iceaxe
04-05-2012, 04:11 PM
You might also find this thread useful:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?32258

:cool2:

dfsfilm
04-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Shane - thanks for info. I enjoyed reading throught that link - and i hope Tristan learned his lesson.

To be clear - i'm wondering when 'canyoneering' was first mentioned in a major publication - like Outside or Mariah magazine. Wondering when it went viral in a commericial sense.

As you mention, the term goes back a long way - and seems to have been used first by river runners. I think Flagstaff's 'canyoneers' rafting company has been around since the 50's.

Thanks again for the info and links - all very helpful.

northernoutpost
04-05-2012, 06:48 PM
There was actually an earlier article in Outside from the mid-80's. I believe it was written by Rick Fisher and covered places like Salome, Cibecue, Crystal and the West Clear complex. A little farther back, canyoneering in the Lake Powell area was covered in Equinox, a defunct Canadian answer to National Geographic. I'm still looking for the semi-mythical "chain of Music Temples" mentioned in the latter article (written by a bunch of Canadian mountaineers that were part of the undercurrent in the 70's and early 80's). Lots of obscure references out there, I'm sure JWP aside...

dfsfilm
04-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks Northern... the Rick Fisher article you mentioned was written by Krakauer and was published in '88. It was included in Eiger Dreams as well. That might very well be one of Outside's first 'canyoneering' references. I'm hoping someone at the magazine can confirm that.

Would be interested to find out more about your 'Equinox' article. 'Chain of Music Temples' - very cool. Thanks again.