PDA

View Full Version : Help North Wash Slots from Bottom

mattandersao
03-29-2012, 04:20 PM
I have read that several North Wash Slots (Barney, Shillelagh, Leprechaun) are partially hikeable from bottom. I have about a half day in the area between Hite and Hanksville and I like photogenic canyons :)

My thoughts are
a)lower maidenwater or
b) a combination of one of the North Wash Slots and Hogs Canyon or
c) any suggestions!

Thanks! :hail2thechief::hail2thechief::hail2thechief::hail 2thechief:

outsider
03-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Lep is very nice to hike up from the bottom - with some effort you can go up the main fork (Shimrock) to its junction with the west fork (also known as Shamrock). That is highly recommended. With skill and a lot more effort you can completely upclimb either of these two forks the rest of the way, but you probably see the best stuff by just getting to the junction. Blarney is just OK, either fork, but not near the quality of Lep (i.e. skip it). Hog has a nice riparian and pool in the lower end, but a bit of a walk after that to any of the slots. Friends recently went up the next canyon north of Hog in order to access the Hog slots, and apparently had a good time. Can't comment on Maidenwater. Have fun!
-john

Iceaxe
03-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Lep from the bottom and Lower Maiden Water are both awesome hikes. :2thumbs:

They should be the first two on your list and in that order. Blarney and Shil are also good hikes.

mattandersao
03-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Time to see and photograph lep from bottom? 2hrs?

Udink
03-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Time to see and photograph lep from bottom? 2hrs?
Yeah, easily. I just checked the timestamps on my photos from hiking up Leprechaun, and it was 50 minutes from the time I left the parking area until I reached a big pool of water near the end of the hiking route (and that included stopping to find a geocache).