PDA

View Full Version : News JetBlue captain: 'They're going to take us down'

accadacca
03-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Yikes! :eek2:

--

LAS VEGAS (AP) - A JetBlue captain who ranted about Iraq and Afghanistan and claimed that a bomb was on a Las Vegas-bound flight was locked out of the cockpit, tackled and restrained by passengers Tuesday, passengers said.

The captain of Flight 191 from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport had a "medical situation," and the co-pilot, who subsequently took command of the aircraft, diverted the plane to land in Amarillo, Texas, around 10 a.m., JetBlue Airways said in a statement.

Josh Redick, a passenger sitting near the middle of the plane, said the pilot "stormed out" of the cockpit.

Tony Antolino, a 40-year-old executive for a security firm, said the captain walked to the back of the plane, that he seemed disoriented and agitated, then began yelling about an unspecified threat linked to Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan.

"They're going to take us down, they're taking us down, they're going to take us down. Say the Lord's prayer, say the Lord's prayer," the captain screamed, according to Antolino.

"He was irate," Redick said. "He was spouting off about Afghanistan and souls and al-Qaida."

Gabriel Schonzeit, who was sitting in the third row, said the captain said there could be a bomb on board the flight.

"He started screaming about al-Qaida and possibly a bomb on the plane and Iraq and Iran and about how we were all going down," Schonzeit told the Amarillo Globe-News.

The captain had been exhibiting "erratic behavior," so the pilot locked him out of the cockpit, the Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement.

Antolino, who said he sat in the 10th row, said he and three others tackled the captain as he ran for the cockpit door, pinned him and held him down while the plane landed at Rick Husband Amarillo International Airport.

"That's how we landed," he said. "There were four of us on top of him. ... Everybody else kind of took a seat and that's how we landed."

An off-duty captain who just happened to be a passenger on the flight went to the flight deck and took over the duties of the ill captain "once on the ground," the airline said in a statement. It didn't elaborate.

Shane Helton, 39, of Quinlan, Okla., said he saw emergency and security personnel coming on and off the plane as it sat on the tarmac at Rick Husband Amarillo International Airport.

"They pulled one guy out on a stretcher and put him in an ambulance," said Helton, who went to the airport with his fianc

Byron
03-27-2012, 06:50 PM
I think life, in a way, is like a maze. You cruise around hoping to avoid trouble and injury. Nature can lower the boom on you (lightning strike, freeze to death, sinkhole swallows you, etc...) or you can screw up and do yourself in by accident. What really sucks is having another human being blow a gasket and and take you with them. Or take you out, period. I hope (fingers crossed) I'm never in a situation where someone who's gone over the edge has my life in their hands.

One thing is for sure, every time someone else has the wheel, that's exactly the position you're in. It's a gamble. Thank god that guy didn't get back into the cockpit...all those people dodged a bullet. Then again, this thing may be a hoax. That guy may be faking the whole thing in order to get disability benefits, it happens hundreds, maybe thousands of times everyday in this country. Seems rather extreme, but people are strange. I wonder if there were any warning signs from this guy leading up to this? Maybe we'll hear more about him...

double moo
03-27-2012, 09:13 PM
I never get on the good flights....