PDA

View Full Version : Zion Narrows

Richie
03-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Hi,

we're in Zion in the first week of May. I know that noone knows at this time if hiking the narrows is possible then. But I guess the amount of snow that came down in the winter in Zion plays an important role (less snow that melts - less water).

So my question:
How is the winter in Zion this year? Was there heavy snow or not that much?

Thanks
Richie

tanya
03-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Dry, Dry, Dry.... year!

Slot Machine
03-27-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't live as close to Zion as Tanya, but I agree. It's been the driest, warmest Utah winter that I can remember.

Northern Utah has recieved HALF it's normal snowfall, I'm sure Zion's statistics are similar...

Bob

Richie
03-27-2012, 02:02 PM
So, if there are not a lot of thunderstorms and rain coming down end the end of April and beginning of May there's a good chance to hike the narrows in early May?

jman
03-27-2012, 04:17 PM
So, if there are not a lot of thunderstorms and rain coming down end the end of April and beginning of May there's a good chance to hike the narrows in early May?

Very much so...especially now with the (unconfirmed) rumor that the park changed the hiking limit from 120 CFS up to 150 CFS.

tanya
03-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Did you read Bo's post? It's confirmed, but that does not work for the Chamberlain's Ranch start.