PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the "A" Team entry code

oldno7
03-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Last week I went undercover to see if I could secretly unveil the ritual's involved in becoming a part of this "elitist" A-Team, here are my findings to date.

#1-- Theres the field sobriety test, this can be conducted at any given time or point in a canyon. ( I was just never quite sure if it was better to pass or fail this one)

oldno7
03-18-2012, 03:25 PM
#2 was perhaps a bit more tricky to perfect--it was the in canyon "chicken dance", once again, to be performed at any given time....(still not sure I got this down)

oldno7
03-18-2012, 03:27 PM
#3 was the one footed ledge hop--and you can bet by this time, folks were paying attention.

oldno7
03-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Some of were questioned by our A-team leader..."what? you got no skills?

oldno7
03-18-2012, 03:32 PM
" If you had been paying attention, passed these tests AND had skills,, I might take you there some day"

oldno7
03-18-2012, 03:37 PM
So at the conclusion of my undercover work, I came up with this----

If there is an "A" team, they have my respect!
If there isn't an "A" team, I think I just had a great few days in canyons with some really great folks and I enjoyed their company and had a great time.

As an addendum--please don't call me when you go over "THERE", I ain't got the skills:lol8:

Iceaxe
03-18-2012, 03:39 PM
I never found the A-Team field tests to be a major hurdle.... it was when they wanted to insert the secert anal tracking probe and canyon monitoring device that I noticed some discomfort.

:lol8:

Slot Machine
03-18-2012, 05:18 PM
I never found the A-Team field tests to be a major hurdle.... it was when they wanted to insert the secert anal tracking probe and canyon monitoring device that I noticed some discomfort.

Excellent anal-ogy! NOW I know what "strings attached" would have meant. :eek2:

No.7, did you have the nerve to ask questions when hiking with them? If so, did they freak out?

Were your questions ever met with-

"Bro, you gotta a lot of free time for asking questions on this hike? I don't know anything about these sobriety tests but there's probably a decent reason why they make us do shots before each rap. Moreover, you seem to be wanting to recite the alphabet backwards while trying to walk in a staight line."

Deathcricket
03-18-2012, 05:23 PM
In pic #3 I can easily see where this canyon is and now recommend bolting the entire thing. Prepare to be shunned and booted from the A-team for this grievous transgression.

oldno7
03-18-2012, 05:56 PM
No.7, did you have the nerve to ask questions when hiking with them? If so, did they freak out?

If you had the chance to meet any of these guys face to face--you'd find your question rather "funny".

These are good people out enjoying this country possibly more than the rest of us combined.

I've found canyon politics over the last many years to be somewhat tiresome and repetitive.

Now doing canyons on the other hand, and laughing, carrying on and generally having a good time, seems to get done considerably less than politican'

Go out and get in some canyons with some of these guys, then maybe you can make an attempt at a funny thread, like this one was intended to be.:mrgreen:

oldno7
03-18-2012, 06:01 PM
In pic #3 I can easily see where this canyon is and now recommend bolting the entire thing. Prepare to be shunned and booted from the A-team for this grievous transgression.

I was thinking that might give it all away:lol8:

Simple
03-18-2012, 07:23 PM
:lol8: I like these tests! I'll have to work on my chicken dance first.

It's easy to vilify people online. But meeting in person and sharing an adventure usually reveals familiar humanity.

spinesnaper
03-18-2012, 07:50 PM
:haha::2thumbs::bootyshake:

bowjunkie
03-18-2012, 08:01 PM
:2thumbs:

The Good Cop
03-18-2012, 08:38 PM
I love the chicken dance!!

oldno7
03-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Funny thing is--none of these shots were an attempt at capturing animation. I did notice the shot after capturing the "chicken dance" and showed it to Ram and we laughed.

It was while going through the balance of my pictures that I noticed he is quite animated, or like the rest of us--making funny motions to make up for old knee's etc.

This is not an attempt to laugh at--maybe an attempt to lighten things up and laugh with.

Bo_Beck
03-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Ooooooooo! I wanna go, I wanna go! Pretty certain that I might be able to pass maybe one of the requirements? Does that count? (I'd need 24 hours advance notice to pass that "test" though :haha:). Great documentary Kurt!

Iceaxe
03-19-2012, 09:34 AM
making funny motions to make up for old knee's etc.

I can relate to that…. Looking through recent pictures I've noticed I don't appear as graceful as I once was. I have begun to invent new moves and contortions to make up for aged body parts that no longer bend and flex as they once did.

Branin
03-20-2012, 10:25 AM
I've found canyon politics over the last many years to be somewhat tiresome and repetitive.
:nod:

Solution: Get along and do canyons.

oldno7
03-20-2012, 11:18 AM
:nod:

Solution: Get along and do canyons.

Well---I did 6 canyons in 2 states with around 14 different partners last week, does that count??

Can't think of anyone I didn't get along with.

uintahiker
03-20-2012, 11:51 AM

Did somebody say "A Team"?

deagol
03-20-2012, 11:57 AM
If you had the chance to meet any of these guys face to face--you'd find your question rather "funny".

These are good people out enjoying this country possibly more than the rest of us combined.

Now doing canyons on the other hand, and laughing, carrying on and generally having a good time, seems to get done considerably less than politican'

Go out and get in some canyons with some of these guys, then maybe you can make an attempt at a funny thread, like this one was intended to be.:mrgreen:

Very good post. I have followed the recent threads a bit and honestly can't see anything in there that would hurt anybody's feelings so much.

oldno7
03-20-2012, 11:58 AM
combined age of the 4 people on one of our trips last week was around 230yrs.

Scott Card
03-20-2012, 01:23 PM
combined age of the 4 people on one of our trips last week was around 230yrs.

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

Iceaxe
03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
So... which one were you?

Slot Machine
03-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Very good post. I have followed the recent threads a bit and honestly can't see anything in there that would hurt anybody's feelings so much.

:popcorn:

oldno7
02-02-2013, 06:17 AM
apparently some have not paid attention to my research on breaking the code, please feel free to use this as study material for further incursions and infiltration's...

So I thought I would bring this back to the top for further research.

oldno7
02-02-2013, 06:28 AM
And on another note--I've known Ram for several years, we rarely do canyons together due to scheduling conflicts and not much else.

He has NEVER refused me information on inquiries I've made. A lot of the information has been minimal on selected areas, but I prefer that.

The guy has a memory like no one I have ever witnessed(he claims it's shrinking) He can hand out the most detailed description of most all canyons he's done, somewhat amazing.

I've never been witness to a list of folks he has "not" shared info with, but I've been witness to a whole lot he has.

Just sayin'

my opinion--Rams is one who unites, don't confuse him with tom, who divides.

RAM
02-02-2013, 08:03 AM
And on another note--I've known Ram for several years, we rarely do canyons together due to scheduling conflicts and not much else.

He has NEVER refused me information on inquiries I've made. A lot of the information has been minimal on selected areas, but I prefer that.

The guy has a memory like no one I have ever witnessed(he claims it's shrinking) He can hand out the most detailed description of most all canyons he's done, somewhat amazing.

I've never been witness to a list of folks he has "not" shared info with, but I've been witness to a whole lot he has.

Just sayin'

my opinion--Rams is one who unites, don't confuse him with tom, who divides.

I appreciate the kind words. Alas i am firmly in Crickets Douchebag closet....and Yetis selfish hoarder of his entitlement....the elitist taunter and much much more. Alas I am not alone in these places. Many people of excellent character and generous qualities are relegated to these same little boxes by those that barely or don't know them at all.

I think you were being kind to me in setting me up to share the "Tom" I know so well and for many years now. It is clear to all that you two have a major conflict and a dislike for each other. This was big of you to give me this opportunity.

I often admire qualities in people that they don't advertise for all to see. I suspect it may surprise some to know that Tom is one of the most generous people I have ever known. He has clearly been a major giver of himself and his resources, even when he was struggling with a fledgling business and the chance for failure was very real. Its easier to give and share when you you have it in abundance. It is quite another thing when you don't

He has taught me important lessons in my life. His willingness to take criticism and not automatically react in defensiveness. To consider what is said. Take what he can and grow, when he sees the words as having validity.....and the ability to let it go and not take it to painful heart when it is on mark or off mark or the meanness of someone with their own issues. He taught me that as a public figure, you are fair game. I consider this BIG and a self confident display of grace.

We all know that Tom can be challenging with the way he says things and has hurt the feeling of many. I would write him and say..."WHY did you have to say it that way?" he would then see what he didn't see before. His own thick skin doesn't always register the thin skins most of us have. But for him, it is all about teaching and teach he does. mostly without any compensation beyond his own generosity. He has made major impacts in people's life's. I don't see Tom as a "divider, in spite of occasionally undiplomatic commentary, I see Tom as a GIVER and I see it ALL the time! Sometimes we get a little too "full" of each other and we need a break from each other. Each of us can be overbearing, but when all is said and done......I got his back. He's got mine.
I am safer and my world is bigger.

If you look, you will see many things to admire, that he doesn't promote...I invite others to share examples of Tom's kindnesses. And while your at it. Throw in some Kurt stories of his grace and maybe anyone else that shows qualities you are drawn to. Lord knows, we could use a bit of positive in what has been a swamp lately. Thanks again Kurty.
Ram

oldno7
02-02-2013, 08:38 AM
glad I could offer up the segway.

always appreciate your input, even when we are on opposite sides of an argument.

and as you will note--my opinion, was posted at the bottom, under "my opinion" glad you shared yours.

RAM
02-02-2013, 10:17 AM
glad I could offer up the segway.

always appreciate your input, even when we are on opposite sides of an argument.

and as you will note--my opinion, was posted at the bottom, under "my opinion" glad you shared yours.

Have not spent much time with Kurty, but the few days I did, I saw him hobble his way thru with a bad foot. No complaining. In some physical stuff like Inferno too. I guess he finally went to the doctor and it turns out he has a broken ankle. Or was it just a broke foot? Either way, tough hombre.

dallison
02-02-2013, 04:31 PM
I am not going to change anyone

Iceaxe
02-02-2013, 05:17 PM
I hate seeing all of the misinformation spewed out

What is this misinformation you speak of? Care to point to an example?

I have followed the threads closely and I haven't seen any misinformation. I see two completely different philosophy's on how beta should be dispensed, but I haven't seen any misinformation. Don't try to read more into it then actually exists.

I don't think anyone said the A team or the B team were not a bunch of fine individuals. There are just differing opinions of what is best for the sport.

YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Deathcricket
02-02-2013, 10:28 PM
I appreciate the kind words. Alas i am firmly in Crickets Douchebag closet....and Yetis selfish hoarder of his entitlement....the elitist taunter and much much more. Alas I am not alone in these places. Many people of excellent character and generous qualities are relegated to these same little boxes by those that barely or don't know them at all.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't know you, never met you, or have any opinion about you one way or the other. Every post of yours has led me to believe we'd get along fine in real life.

I've never seen you berate noobs and discourage them from posting because they don't wear helmets, or wore a helmet but not have the strap clipped. I've never seen you call people dangerous or put down their skillsets for myriad of imagined offenses. I've never seen you yell at innocent people who post pictures of canyons they weren't supposed to, because some vista or rock formation might be recognizable. I've never heard you requesting TR's to be pulled because you feel you own this canyon, or call people out because they ask about canyons they found on google earth. I've never heard.... Never mind this list could go on all night, haha.

Anyways too long a post now... Point is, I don't think "you" personally have the elitest big-dig-swingin-I'm-cooler-than-you attitude some of your associates do. And believe me those people know who they are, haha. I'm not good at tolerating people I dislike, pretty open book kinda guy. With you and me it's probably just a difference of opinion, I'd rather encourage everyone to post everything, and you might wanna have it censored a bit more to preserve canyon integrity. But you've never rubbed me the wrong way or led me to believe in any way you're a douchebag, you've always been very respectful to me and respected by me. And even though we might not agree I still respect your viewpoint and see the merit of it.

I think it's all how you approach the situation and how you treat the people you disagree with. Give out respect and you'll always get respect back. :2thumbs:

You say Tom has taught you a lot over the years, too bad he didn't learn a couple lessons from you as well in the art of diplomacy.

Brian in SLC
02-02-2013, 10:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2xuleGvsGE

Renatomic808
02-03-2013, 02:12 AM
No one wants to canyoneer with me! Is it because I'm C-team rank? Though JJ made it out last march, and is planning a return sometime this month. I will try to up my skills. I'm asian, so i'm sure i can do the chicken dance.

airman
02-03-2013, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE=dallison;525797]I am not going to change anyone

Scott Card
02-04-2013, 06:20 PM
I fully support the A-Team. I am one of them :haha:..... but only because I feed the team when I am around. I have been on many adventures with "my" team in canyons that I probably had no business being in, but for the fact I was with the A-Team. Here is my contribution. I pack heavy, and break out the dutch ovens in camp when many of the other A-teamers are trying to convince themselves that ramen or couscous is food. Once the roast, clam chowder and various cakes/cobblers are devoured, I am accepted in full fellowship and become a card-carrying member every time. You gotta be a team player. Find your niche. The A-team will let you in. I am proof. :lol8:

Seriously, what others have said. The "a-teamers" I have known are great. And I have no problem with keeping a canyon under wraps if asked. I see two ways to find canyons, do all the stuff that is online first and then start looking on your own for new stuff, or hook up with those who look and find. I guess a third way is to ask about some crack in the earth you spotted from your desk on Google Earth but please don't whine if you don't get the answers you want.

Byron
02-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Funny...I've been here a year and am completely unfamiliar with this "A team" stuff. I presume it's a few (or quite a few) canyoneers who have info on lots of different canyons? Secret spots? A variety of knots? I laugh at people who strut around like peacocks, because I'm the biggest peacock of them all!!!:cool2: Everyone seems friendly enough around here to me...and it seems that the reviews of the fests are good, perhaps some are a bit intimidated?

It seems to me that someone treating others like dirt, acting like his dookie doesn't stink would get unpopular REAL QUICK....is there someone like that around? Or do we not talk about it? Oh well, there are snobs in just about every sport and maybe as time goes by I'll be able to figure out who they are...if they even exist around here? I hope I never run into the "I'm the shit" attitude personally, because I'll ridicule it...out loud. I don't like it much when someone is more stuck up than I am. :haha:

Deathcricket
02-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Funny...I've been here a year and am completely unfamiliar with this "A team" stuff. I presume it's a few (or quite a few) canyoneers who have info on lots of different canyons? Secret spots? A variety of knots? I laugh at people who strut around like peacocks, because I'm the biggest peacock of them all!!!:cool2: Everyone seems friendly enough around here to me...and it seems that the reviews of the fests are good, perhaps some are a bit intimidated?

It seems to me that someone treating others like dirt, acting like his dookie doesn't stink would get unpopular REAL QUICK....is there someone like that around? Or do we not talk about it? Oh well, there are snobs in just about every sport and maybe as time goes by I'll be able to figure out who they are...if they even exist around here? I hope I never run into the "I'm the shit" attitude personally, because I'll ridicule it...out loud. I don't like it much when someone is more stuck up than I am. :haha:

If you have a group of friends and don't know who the big jerk is? Chances are it's probably YOU!!!!! :lol8:

Scott Card
02-05-2013, 08:17 AM
If you have a group of friends and don't know who the big jerk is? Chances are it's probably YOU!!!!! :lol8: This is why the food must be good. :haha:

Sombeech
02-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Renatomic808
02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Getting into the "A" Team is definitely the pinnacle of canyoneering. Hell being a part of a team is tough to begin with. Just like getting into the lesser "C" team takes a lot of skill as well. Like "air walking".

The Good Cop
02-25-2013, 12:43 AM
Ram, I will take your invite: while this has been said well by others, it bears saying again. These folks (in my experience anyway) would certainly never call themselves "A-teamers". They simply make a high priority in their lives of getting out & a lot. That's it. In addition, as Kurt said, they are very fun folks to share days with in the wilderness or in a campsite, and they are overwhelmingly generous with beta they know & I don't. I hope to meet you before long Kurt & share some time in beautiful places with you!

Regarding Tom in particular, rather than arguing one way or the other I will simply share this story: I was recently in Death Valley enjoying a part of the world which I had not previously seen. The evening before my last day there, around a campfire & sharing food & drink, Tom invited me to join an exploration. Again, nothing more than that, and I happily agreed. I had a very fun day seeing a place that (to the best of our ability to tell) had never before been traveled by people - unfortunately, for good reason, but that's how it goes with explorations. In any case, Tom united (certainly did not divide) a group who all had a fun day together & then we shared our story & info with others afterward. I do not doubt Kurt's concerns or judgement, but my experience of Tom has been very different. Try meeting the guy face-to-face & sharing some time around camp & in a canyon with him. My only regret is that I can't manage more days like that because they're fun without exception.

Cheers to all & cheers to Kurt for the terrific photos of the 'animated' Ram, I can certainly relate to the 'chicken dance'. And I encourage all to judge Tom by face-to-face experience before coming to believe anything too negative. Assume good intent until proven otherwise, and give yourself a gift by enjoying a day in the wilderness with him; he's a fun guy.,

Cheers,

Wayne

dude9478
02-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Ram, I will take your invite: while this has been said well by others, it bears saying again. These folks (in my experience anyway) would certainly never call themselves "A-teamers". They simply make a high priority in their lives of getting out & a lot. That's it. In addition, as Kurt said, they are very fun folks to share days with in the wilderness or in a campsite, and they are overwhelmingly generous with beta they know & I don't. I hope to meet you before long Kurt & share some time in beautiful places with you!

Regarding Tom in particular, rather than arguing one way or the other I will simply share this story: I was recently in Death Valley enjoying a part of the world which I had not previously seen. The evening before my last day there, around a campfire & sharing food & drink, Tom invited me to join an exploration. Again, nothing more than that, and I happily agreed. I had a very fun day seeing a place that (to the best of our ability to tell) had never before been traveled by people - unfortunately, for good reason, but that's how it goes with explorations. In any case, Tom united (certainly did not divide) a group who all had a fun day together & then we shared our story & info with others afterward. I do not doubt Kurt's concerns or judgement, but my experience of Tom has been very different. Try meeting the guy face-to-face & sharing some time around camp & in a canyon with him. My only regret is that I can't manage more days like that because they're fun without exception.

Cheers to all & cheers to Kurt for the terrific photos of the 'animated' Ram, I can certainly relate to the 'chicken dance'. And I encourage all to judge Tom by face-to-face experience before coming to believe anything too negative. Assume good intent until proven otherwise, and give yourself a gift by enjoying a day in the wilderness with him; he's a fun guy.,

Cheers,

Wayne

We said Wayne. I agree, been out with Tom and crew a few times, always a good time with good friends. I always seem to learn something new too. Come out to one of the fests and say hello.

Kevin

hesse15
02-27-2013, 08:37 AM
" If you had been paying attention, passed these tests AND had skills,, I might take you there some day"

oldno7
02-27-2013, 08:44 AM

Yes you were there...

Iceaxe
02-27-2013, 01:16 PM

I thought Hesse was the A team?!? :ne_nau:

hesse15
03-04-2013, 10:30 AM
I thought Hesse was the A team?!? :ne_nau:

let me get my butt in shape ,already retrieved my bikini collection from storage unit
:bootyshake::bootyshake: more to come!!!!:scared::stud:

:naughty:

hesse15
03-04-2013, 10:35 AM
me ready to show some swimming moves and be fished out

oldno7
03-04-2013, 01:16 PM
lol, Christina--I remember that swimming move....

The rest of us stemmed, you swam:2thumbs:(and looked mighty good doing so.)

hesse15
03-05-2013, 02:55 PM
:bootyshake::stud: