PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know where I can find these ruins ???

sanfairyanne
03-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Hopefully I've correctly added the link below.
I'm hoping someone on Bogley might know where these ruins can be located.
Many thanks.

http://www.synnatschke.de/fotos/ancient-america/ruins/image/1000/caprock-ruin.jpg

Iceaxe
03-20-2012, 08:34 AM
That is cool looking.... I'd be interested in knowing the location, even a general area would be nice to know.

TheDuggy
06-07-2012, 04:17 PM
After doing a little looking I'm going to guess it's in San Juan, UT somewhere. It looks like the majority of their photos are in that area. I emailed the photographer to see where they took it. I'll let you know when they reply.

sanfairyanne
06-11-2012, 12:07 AM
I'd really like to find it and would massively appreciate any help, here's another from the same photographer couple. It's a lot like the over-done Fire Alcove Ruin but different.

Richmurphy
06-11-2012, 05:07 AM
Hi there,
its somewhere in Cedar Mesa I think.
http://blog.synnatschke.de/usa/utah/san-rafael-swell-und-cedar-mesa-zwei-neue-national-monuments-in-utah/

Cheers
Richard

sanfairyanne
06-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Richard,

Thanks for replying, I too am pretty sure he's telling the truth about the second image being on Cedar Mesa, though that's still a huge area. Any thoughts on the first one?

Richmurphy
06-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Here's a link to another photo of it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave__peggy/2515571619/in/faves-rlngstrt/
I have contacted the poster and will see if he replies.
Intriguing looking spot!
Cheers
Richard

nbnm6
06-26-2012, 05:04 PM
The last photo is mine. It is one of those places you just have to discover for yourself - we did and what fun, to come across something unexpected and wonderful. It is my practice to only take close trusted friends to such places, and not to disclose them to strangers. Happy hunting. Peggy

Deathcricket
06-27-2012, 11:19 AM
The last photo is mine. It is one of those places you just have to discover for yourself - we did and what fun, to come across something unexpected and wonderful. It is my practice to only take close trusted friends to such places, and not to disclose them to strangers. Happy hunting. Peggy

I totally love this response! I feel bad for sanfairyanne though, but yeah what a cool and magical place to stumble upon randomly. If it was me I would be yapping to everyone, haha. :hail2thechief:

sanfairyanne
07-01-2012, 11:37 PM
I think I

Lonnie Utah
07-05-2012, 12:00 PM

I totally love this response! I feel bad for sanfairyanne though, but yeah what a cool and magical place to stumble upon randomly. If it was me I would be yapping to everyone, haha. :hail2thechief:

My response is going to be unpopular, but I'd counter with folks on a site like this aren't going to be the ones to vandalize or otherwise deface our cultural resources. Statistically, and demographically, that would be young males, usually under the influence of their peers or alcohol and usually both.

Now I'm not saying that one should openly publish locations and directions to these sites openly on the web, but when someone is thoughtfully and openly requesting information about a site, there are ways to provide enough information to them or get them pointed in the right area without unnecessarily compromising the security of the location to those that might be less thoughtful or respectful of these locations.

There are ways to discover this location, like for example printing out a picture and taking it to the local BLM ranger office and asking if they know the location. Odds are they do. Most of these sites have been cataloged at some time in the past. There are well know sites, and lesser known sites, but very few true unknown sites (ie Range Creek when it was first transferred to state control.)

Edit: With just a little google digging I found this....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rlngstrt/7411923786/

Given this image,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave__peggy/2515571619/in/datetaken/

and this image

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave__peggy/2503154519/in/datetaken/

I'm willing to bet it's the same place.

So a response like that is simply a polite way of saying that "I know more that you do."

Iceaxe
07-05-2012, 03:38 PM
^^^ Best Post of the Week ^^^

:cool2:

denaliguide
07-05-2012, 03:40 PM
So a response like that is simply a polite way of saying that "I know more that you do. naner, naner, naner"

there you go. fixed it for ya.

and i agree with ice. best post of the week.

Lonnie Utah
07-06-2012, 01:15 PM
^^^ Best Post of the Week ^^^

and i agree with ice. best post of the week.

Thanks. :)

Scott P
07-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Statistically, and demographically, that would be young males, usually under the influence of their peers or alcohol and usually both.

I would have to disagree. Most of the vandalism/grave robbing done in the Cedar Mesa area is/was not done by young drunk males.

Anyway, I don't know where the ruins in the photo area, but I know of similar ones. For example Turks Head in Canyonlands has some similar to that. They are already well known, so it won't hurt mentioning them.
Anyway, I don't have any problem with nbnm6's response. It sounds like no one told them where to find it, so they didn't have any advantage over finding it (other than luck) that anyone else has.

If people were more willing to explore around, they would find many such cool places and you can find plenty of ruins as impressive or more impressive than the one in the photo. Unfortunately, when some people do get out there and explore and they find something cool, inevitably someone who is not willing to explore (not directed to anyone in this thread-honestly) will want the information and won't be willing to give anything back in return (such as something cool that they will find).

I know with canyoneering for example, you can beg, plead and ask for people to go explore some new areas looking for good canyons, but few are willing to the work of doing so. After lots of work, several duds and dead ends when you stumble upon a real gem, everyone (including those who were unwilling to do any exploration work) will want to go do the canyon and feel entitled to the information.

Anyway, I'll make anyone here a deal. If you give me some good information on a really cool place that I don't know about I will give you some information on a ruin that is even much cooler than the one in the photo. Feel free to PM me.

Lonnie Utah
07-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Good point about the Cedar Mesa grave robbing. Those crimes were perpetrated by locals with an intimate knowledge of the area than any of us. FWIW, I was speaking more of grafitti and the like, and didn't really consider the grave robbing "vandalism" in that sense. It totally is, but I wasn't using the word in that way. The joys of the typed word. :)

The flip side to the exploration argument is time. Many visitors don't have the luxury of spending a lot of time exploring. Lord know I wish I did. :) But with a fussy 14 month old at our house, I have to be efficient and measured in the places I choose to explore these days.

Scott P
07-09-2012, 03:14 PM
The flip side to the exploration argument is time.

That’s what guidebooks, internet and known ruins are for.

I and many, many others have shared plenty (I’ve shared thousands of pages of stuff in fact and others have to), but there’s no reason that we have to share everything and that those not willing to explore are somehow entitled to the info.

Many visitors don't have the luxury of spending a lot of time exploring. Lord know I wish I did. :)
I don’t know if you do or not, but if you ever have a holiday off, weekend off or even an evening off or any type of vacation then you have time to explore? Most people do, they just choose not to.

We're all busy. For 11 years I worked 80+ hours a week in summer (record was 117) and we have two kids as well. This summer is the first I don't have to do that. Before working that many hours, I went to school full time and worked full time and my wife worked two jobs. We still found time to explore. The same can be said about many, many other people as well. Everyone is busy. If you want to explore you have to make time to do it.

Do you ever watch TV? Have you ever gone to a concert? Do you ever go to movies? Have you ever stayed home on Christmas or spent Thanksgiving pigging out on turkey? Watched a sporting event? Played video game? If the answer to any of these is yes, then you do have spare time. What you do with that time is up to you and we all have to makeour own choices.

But with a fussy 14 month old at our house, I have to be efficient and measured in the places I choose to explore these days.

No offence, but when our kids were that age we were carrying them through the jungles of Central America, among many other things (including exploring all over the canyon country of Utah). One of many examples:

http://www.summitpost.org/climbing-cerro-chirripo-with-a-20-month-old-son-and-a-6-months-pregnant-wife/169511

A few random photos age 0-2:

http://www.summitpost.org/kessler-s-climbing-album-age-0-to-2/286264

Unless your kid has some serious health issues (and if he/she does, I’m sorry), having a kid is a very poor excuse not to do any exploring. IMHO, kids need to be outside as much as they can and it’s how they learn. Sometimes there are valid reasons not to go exploring with a kid, but most of the time it’s just laziness (general statement, not directed to you specifically).

Iceaxe
07-09-2012, 05:52 PM
In the end the only way to save Cedar Mesa and similiar places is to get enough of the right type of people to care.... and by right type of people I am talking about the type of person that loves the outdoors, loves hiking, loves ruins, loves rock art, and cares about the enviroment.... which is exactly the type of person that visits and spends time on Bogley.

:soapbox:

Lonnie Utah
07-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Unless your kid has some serious health issues (and if he/she does, I’m sorry), having a kid is a very poor excuse not to do any exploring. IMHO, kids need to be outside as much as they can and it’s how they learn. Sometimes there are valid reasons not to go exploring with a kid, but most of the time it’s just laziness (general statement, not directed to you specifically).

That's pretty easy to armchair QB not knowing the specifics of any given family. Our little guy loves the outdoors. We hike and bike with him, he started swimming lessons at 1 year (as I said 14 months now). However, getting him to sleep in his normal environment is difficult enough for us, much less on the road in a hotel room or a tent/travel trailer. 6 hours of sleep a night for 14 months with no family or other caregivers to give us a break makes life difficult for mom and dad. I'll shut up now....

And I agree with Iceaxe.

Scott P
07-10-2012, 11:25 AM
And I agree with Iceaxe.

I don’t necessary disagree with Iceaxe, in fact I’m sure he will tell you that I’ve been very generous with sharing beta (too generous in many people’s eyes). In addition to sharing much on Bogley, I’ve written thousands of pages of beta on websites, have written guidebooks and many of the now popular destinations on websites and in guidebooks were ones I shared to the authors, so I don’t think anyone would accuse me of not wanting to share. I would even share some great petroglyphs along highway 24 if you ask nicely.

I only was saying that no one should be compelled to share everything and that it’s perfectly OK to choose not to. I think it selfish to always just expect one to share if you (not you, but generally) if you don’t have anything to share in return.

That's pretty easy to armchair QB not knowing the specifics of any given family.

However, getting him to sleep in his normal environment is difficult enough for us, much less on the road in a hotel room or a tent/travel trailer. 6 hours of sleep a night for 14 months with no family or other caregivers to give us a break makes life difficult for mom and dad.

I don’t doubt any of the above. I'm not demeaning what you are going through and don't pretend to be in your shoes right now, but believe it or not, it’s a pretty normal situation. 6 hours of sleep is actually pretty good for many parents (I know it would have been for us).

I just meant that exploring was still possible for most people. I never said it was easy.

For example, our daughter was 4 lbs 14 oz when we brought her home from the hospital. She was tiny, but healthy and she would eat and eat and eat and cry and cry and cry. I don’t think we hardly ever got 6 hours of sleep in a night that first year. It’s all part of parenthood and probably more normal than you think. We never had any family living in within hundreds of miles either. Others were in far worse situations and anyone who has a healthy baby is lucky.

Exploring was still difficult for us. Having a baby on your lap on a 20 hour chicken bus ride through Nicaragua wasn’t exactly that easy, especially when your wife is very pregnant and thus has no lap (just a random example). Whether or not anyone chooses to explore anyway is still a personal choice.

You may think what I have said is jibberish and that’s OK. Archair QB or not, in most situations I still say/believe that unless there are health issues involved, exploring is still possible for most people. It's not meant to insult anyone, just to disagree that most people never have time to explore. Like most thing in life, if you want it bad enough you will make time for it.:wink:

nefariousdeeds
07-10-2012, 11:58 AM
http://adventr.co/2012/06/cedar-mesa-ruins-rock-art/

Pretty recent trip report. Golden Granary, Shoe Panel, Mule Canyon Towers - This looks like pretty close to the area.

nefariousdeeds
07-10-2012, 12:03 PM
http://adventr.co/2012/06/cedar-mesa-ruins-rock-art/

Here is the area. Read the report, from this you should be able to find what your'e looking for.