PDA

View Full Version : Bogley River Trip Memorial Weekend?

Scott P
03-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Anyone interesting in a river gathering over Memorial Day weekend?

It would be a non-permitted river. Many of the smaller rivers (i.e. San Rafeal or Dirty Devil probably wouldn't have enough water this year).

Moab daily (Colorado R), Dominguez Canyon (Gunnison), Ruby-Horsethief Canyon (Colorado R), Red Canyon (Green below Flaming Gorge) are all possibilites.

Anyone interested?

trackrunner
03-12-2012, 01:22 PM
hmmmm maybe. but my may weekends are full with trips not sure if I can get a kitchen pass away from the family for anther weekend.

restrac2000
03-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Hope you guys pull a trip together. Maybe its already well known, but I just saw the signs this weekend that groups can only camp at designated sites along the Moab Daily now. News to me but I hadn't been on the Colorado anywhere near that stretch in 2 years.

Phillip

Sombeech
03-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Hmmm... I'd like to go but I might have some conflicts. I'll have to talk to bigred72 and see when our Subway trip is. It might be then or the week prior.

bigred72
03-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Hmmm... I'd like to go but I might have some conflicts. I'll have to talk to bigred72 and see when our Subway trip is. It might be then or the week prior.

Sombeech, it's the week prior. May 17-20. Subway permit on the 18th.

Scott P
03-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Maybe its already well known, but I just saw the signs this weekend that groups can only camp at designated sites along the Moab Daily now.

Yes, that would be a disadvantage of the Moab Daily. It may be hard to get a designated site on Memorial weekend too. The restrictions are south of Dewey Bridge so you can either camp NW of the bridge (on the access road) or it may be a good idea to book a commericial campsite in Moab in advance.

Scott P
05-10-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm thinking of putting together a river trip or canyoneering trip over Memorial Day weekend.

Most small rivers (i.e. San Rafael) will not have enough water this year.

Possible River Trips

Colorado River Ruby-Horsethief
Colorado River Moab
Labyrinth (Friendship Cruise is cancelled this year due to low water)
Stillwater Canyon (requires boat pickup at Spanish Bottom)
Gunnison River Dominguez Canyon section
Green River Flaming Gorge to Browns Park (Red Creek Rapid is portagable)
Possible Canyoneering Trips
Eardley and Hyde Draw [San Rafael]
Burro, Cottonwood and Fivemile (and/or a virgin slot near Torrey if anyone is interested-1/2 day) [Capitol Reef]
Davis Gulch and Egypt 3 (maybe Ringtail or something else as well) [Escalante]
Gravel or Long [White Canyon]
Possible Backpack Trips
Scorpion Gulch [Escalante]
Little Death Hollow to Silver Falls [Escalante]
Boulder Creek [Escalante]
Death Hollow [Escalante]
Gypsum Canyon [near Dark Canyon]
Upper Salt Creek [Canyonlands]
================================================== ================================================== =
Let me know if anyone is interested in any of the above

Alex
05-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Ruby will be nuts on Memorial Day. Stillwater is pretty pricey. Labyrinth will be around 3-4k flow, lots of sand bars.

Flaming Gorge should still be dumping, so A&B would be a good run with a layover day or something. Can rent boats there too.

Also, you have the Green River daily, base camp at Swasey's and then run day trips.

IntrepidXJ
05-11-2012, 01:50 PM
You'll also have to secure camping permits from the BLM in advance if you want to camp on a weekend in Ruby-Horsethief

restrac2000
05-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Stillwater is pretty pricey. .

The fee increase is disappointing. That was one of the few affordable trips in the region. Boating is getting expensive. I understand the user fees when they man stations (like Deso) but it seems a bit much for Stillwater as there is no ranger station down there (unless they just aren't there in the seasons I have boated).

Bummer.

Scott P
05-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the new info on Stillwater and Ruby-Horsethief.

Labyrinth will be around 3-4k flow, lots of sand bars.

Looks like 5971 right now; good canoe conditions (Labyrinth is too slow for a raft anyway). It looks like there aren't any people interested in a river trip though? I may go canyoneering instead.

Alex
05-14-2012, 06:23 AM
Ya it's hard to get people to go boating. Requires a lot of commitment and gear, not everyone can jump onto it. I've given up dragging people to go with me. My wife is my reliable passenger now and if she can't come, Beeoch :afro: is it.