PDA

View Full Version : Canyon of the Ancients NM

Iceaxe
03-01-2012, 10:11 AM
So what's at Canyon of the Ancients NM? I just "discovered" it and was wondering what is there? What's worth seeing? recommendations? good hikes? good ruins? and anything else you want to offer up about a trip to see it.

uintahiker
03-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Think Sand Canyon in Kelsey's book. Ruins, hiking, etc.

IntrepidXJ
03-01-2012, 02:27 PM
I've done a little exploring in CotA before, but certainly not as much as I would like to do.

Painted Hand Pueblo is a nice short hike near Hovenweep and Lowry Pueblo is worth a visit. Besides these two locations, Sand Canyon as mentioned above is the other site that is semi-developed.

Here's a good resource (not a guide) that will give you a good glimpse into what the area is like:

http://4cornershikesancients.blogspot.com/

cchoc
03-01-2012, 02:35 PM
In the Holly Group (which I think is actually part of Hovenweep NM) there is a solstice panel with two sun spirals which are connected by a line of light at sunrise on the summer solstice.

Scott P
03-01-2012, 02:51 PM
I just "discovered" it and was wondering what is there?

Dang Shane, sometimes I think you're afraid to set foot outside of Utah.:haha:

Anyway, Canyons of the Ancients NM is somewhat similar to Cedar Mesa. It has similar ruins and scenery, though the rock is from different layers (mosty Navajo and Entrada Sandstone vs. Cedar Mesa Sandstone).

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint) much of the public land along McElmo Creek is blocked by private lands along a narrow strip of road, but there's still plenty to see in that area (which is probably the prime area in and around the monument). Rock Creek and Sand Canyon are probably the best hikes and are in Kelsey's books. A bit farther north is Cross and Ruin Canyons, but they do have some thick brush is places (but perhaps more pristine ruins because of this) so it's not quite as enjoyable to hike there.

To sum it up, it's a neat area and well worth visiting. I'd start with Rock Creek and Sand Canyon.

Iceaxe
03-01-2012, 03:07 PM
I'll start visiting the other states soon as I run out of things to do in Utah. :lol8:

I assume Canyon of the Ancients is not developed and restored like Mesa Verda? If it is I'll look elsewhere to roam. I love Cedar Mesa, mostly because the ruins are in a natural state and not on a ranger guided path type of thing.

Anyhoo.... I'm just looking aound for some fun family type hikes.

IntrepidXJ
03-01-2012, 03:10 PM
I assume Canyon of the Ancients is not developed and restored like Mesa Verda?

You would be assuming right. Not developed or restored....except for Lowry Pueblo

Scott P
03-01-2012, 07:25 PM
I assume Canyon of the Ancients is not developed and restored like Mesa
Verda?

No, it's one of those BLM monuments designated by Clinton (much like the Grand Staircase), so it's not really developed other than some kiosk and trail registers.

The mentioned Rock Creek and Sand Canyon are perfect family hikes. Think similar to Mule Canyon (Cedar Mesa).

The drawback of Canyons of the Ancients vs Cedar Mesa is that around Canyons of the Ancients you often have to get quite a ways from the main roads in order to camp.

Iceaxe
03-02-2012, 08:08 AM
The drawback of Canyons of the Ancients vs Cedar Mesa is that around Canyons of the Ancients you often have to get quite a ways from the main roads in order to camp.

:lol8: what is this camping of which you speak???

Scott.... you should know me better than that by now. I'm not camping if I can drive into Cortez and stay in a nice soft bed and have some else cook my meals for me.

Anyone have a nice family type loop hike they want to recommend? I looked at MK's stuff and it almost makes sence, or it would if I could read the little chicken scratches on his map (old man eyes suck).

cchoc
03-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Anyone have a nice family type loop hike they want to recommend? I looked at MK's stuff and it almost makes sence, or it would if I could read the little chicken scratches on his map (old man eyes suck).

Painted Hand, mentioned above, is a pretty easy loop hike. Took me a couple of times to actually spot the painted hand, though. It's a very cool spot, a picture I took of the Painted Hand Pueblo is going to be in the 2013 CNHA calendar.

Magic_Hour
03-03-2012, 04:13 PM
The hike in Sand Canyon is a nice family hike, but I believe it is generally done as a one way with a car dropped off at one of the two Trailheads. Some friends and I started at the trailhead on the McElmo Canyon side and hiked a bit of the trail before turning around and walking back the same way we went in, so in that sense it was a nice loop hike with a few ruins along the trail.
I haven't done as much exploring as I would like to in the area of Canyons of the Ancients or Hovenweep however my favorite ruin that I have been to in the area is the Hovenweep outlier Cutthroat Castle. There's not much hiking to be had at the ruin but I still think it's one of the most interesting ruins around. It sits on top of a rock outcropping, and resembles a small castle.
Anyway, that's just my two cents! Let me know if you have any more questions and have a great trip.