PDA

View Full Version : Rap Wild Horse Window

DesertDuke
02-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Anyone rapped wild horse window before? Access to top? Starting point? Anchorage? 50 meter rope good enough?

Thanks

Udink
02-26-2012, 09:42 AM
I haven't rappelled it so I can't help with rope length, but I did scramble to the top when I was there. It looks like there are a couple of anchor options--a small pinyon pine closer to the window, and a much larger pinyon that's a bit farther away (see photos below). If you're down in the canyon about 300 feet below the alcoves, there's a spot on the north canyon wall to scramble out of the canyon and get to the top of the arch pretty easily.

Large pinyon pine above the arch

Small pinyon closer to the arch

powderhound
02-26-2012, 09:58 AM
It's been a number of years since I was in there, and I didn't try to rap it either, but I'd probably bring two 50m ropes so you don't waste your time. Like I said, it's been awhile, but the roof of that alcove is pretty high. It's pretty easy to find a way to the top of the window. I found a way in the area that the above poster described, if not the same way.

ratagonia
02-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Back in the Day, when we all had more hair...

http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/quan/index.htm

What's wrong with over the arch??? Takes 2 x 50m ropes because across the top of the arch is quite a ways. Don't pull the ropes from below (it probably would not pull, definitely would cut rope grooves). The access to the top is where you would expect it.

Tom :moses;

Iceaxe
02-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Access from just downstream of the arch up the north side of the drainage.

two 50's will allow you to simo-rap. Easy to retrieve your rope when you are finish so don't try to pull them down from below.

The first time I was ever at the arch (1997?) some guys had a swing set up similar to the Corona Arch video.

DesertDuke
02-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks all for the beta. And Tom, I promise not to bolt it or cut grooves.

ratagonia
02-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks all for the beta. And Tom, I promise not to bolt it or cut grooves.

Thanks. Video?

T