PDA

View Full Version : DIY - Rappel/Ascend Station?

jman
02-24-2012, 01:32 PM
So the latest thread got me inspired. I can't believe I never thought of doing this before after 12 years of canyoneering.

So...think of a kids playground that has a platform that's lifted 8-10ft off the ground. The platform would hold 2-3 people, and have a ladder to climb to the top (obviously). One side of the station would have a wall in which noobs can have the experience of going down a 180degree wall. And another side of of the tower would be wall-less, which would simulate a free-hanging rappel. The 3rd side of the tower would be the ladder. And the last side of the tower, I'm still thinking about that one of what to do...

The platform itself would have a hole in the middle - either just large for a person or a softball size hole that would just be a path for the ropes, of which I'm not sure yet. And this center hole would be for free-hanging ascending practice (which would be attached to a overhead beam).

The overhead beam of which the ascending ropes would be attached to, would extend past the platform by 2 feet or so thereby allowing additional practice for a mid-station hanging rappel.

That's just a start for now, and I'm a carpenter, so making this happen is very probable. And I think it would be great to add some mobility to it where I can make it fit on a utility trailer and haul it to parking lots or someone's house for practice. At the very least, it's going in my backyard.

Of course people will say just do the real-thing. Well yea..duh. No brainer there. But this is close, and unlike Tom Jones and Tanya, I'm not a 3min drive from Zion. I'm a good 30min from any cliffs in Northern Utah.

Oh, and I don't want to destroy my garage either like DC has posted. Something a little more permanent, per se and mobile.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

hike2kolob
02-24-2012, 03:13 PM
It's not exactly like you describe, but Jumar built this in his backyard.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?30205-Started-on-my-climbing-caving-wall

Sounds like a fun project. :2thumbs:

Renatomic808
02-25-2012, 01:31 AM
How about the last wall be a 2 or 3 stage rappel?