PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR 2012

Iceaxe
02-23-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm done with work for the day.... now I'm off to watch the Daytona Twin 150's.

:banana:

It's time to see who's for real and who the pretenders are this year. :nod:

Iceaxe
02-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Tony the Tiger has some muscle and all the Roush cars are fast.

oldno7
02-23-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm completely dumbfounded as to why you didn't purchase hotels, pit passes, race tickets, airfare, etc. for you and I to go to speed week.

denaliguide
02-23-2012, 04:08 PM
i was wondering the same thing. would have been a great weekend. the three of us could have had a blast.

denaliguide
02-23-2012, 04:09 PM
who wants to go to the vegas race?

Iceaxe
02-23-2012, 04:12 PM
I actually fly into five or six NASCAR races each year.... but my traveling companion is a lot prettier than you.... and she does stuff for/to me that I'm thinking you might bulk at.

:lol8:

Iceaxe
02-23-2012, 04:15 PM
I've been thinking about hitting Vegas.... does anyone know if those coming from Utah can still get off at the Apex exit and use a lot near turn 3? I hate getting stuck in the main parking lot of that place as it takes 3 or 4 hours to get out.

denaliguide
02-23-2012, 05:02 PM
I've been thinking about hitting Vegas.... does anyone know if those coming from Utah can still get off at the Apex exit and use a lot near turn 3? I hate getting stuck in the main parking lot of that place as it takes 3 or 4 hours to get out.

no idea. i'll be coming up from the other direction.

Iceaxe
02-23-2012, 08:48 PM
So... who's your favorite driver?

I'm a big fan of the #18.... wreckers or checkers.... :lol8:

Sandstone Addiction
02-24-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm going for Edwards and Kenseth, but if Martin can pull off an upset the roof will be coming off our house. Martin seems to have a decent car and he seems to do better after he changes teams...

How bout that crash with the 10 car? Do you think it will affect her for the big race? She seemed pretty rattled.

oldno7
02-24-2012, 08:22 AM
We stayed in the infield of Vegas for many years. It was always nice to leave Monday Morning vs. Sunday.
Same on arriving, I don't know how busy the Apex exit becomes, but I would speculate--VERY.
We always came down on Thurs.

As far as drivers:ne_nau:
Used to be on the Kahne bandwagon, especially after his rookie year highlights, as of now--anyone but Johnson:haha:

oldno7
02-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Would it be wrong to be a Danica fan??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_wtzioHXq8I#!

denaliguide
02-24-2012, 05:34 PM
she took a hard lick. it was cool to see the incar cam and see her just take her hands off the wheel to save her wrists. and no it's not wrong to be a fan. i dont really have a favorite. some i do want to see do better than others. kyle busch is not one of them however. the kid can drive the wheels off a car though.

oldno7
02-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Leaning a little harder towards the Danica camp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soMhKtUvhJU

Iceaxe
02-24-2012, 07:54 PM
How bout that crash with the 10 car? Do you think it will affect her for the big race? She seemed pretty rattled.

She stuck her Nationwide car on the pole today... so it doesn't look like the crash effected her much.

We stayed in the infield of Vegas for many years. It was always nice to leave Monday Morning vs. Sunday.

I used to have infield parking at LVMS. It's never a problem getting out of the infield, including right after the race. The infield has a dedicated exit and road. That's why you always see the haulers heading down the freeway immedately after the race while the fans sit in the parking lot for 3 hours.

FYI: Apex used to be the hot ticket for those from UT. It was easy in and out, no more than 10 minutes getting out. But I know they closed it 3 years ago and forced those coming from the north into the main lot. I was wondering if they openned it again. I stopped coming to LVMS when they closed the APEX exit.

nelsonccc
02-24-2012, 08:11 PM
She stuck her Nationwide car on the pole today... so it doesn't look like the crash effected her much.

I used to have infield parking at LVMS. It's never a problem getting out of the infield, including right after the race. The infield has a dedicated exit and road. That's why you always see the haulers heading down the freeway immedately after the race while the fans sit in the parking lot for 3 hours.

FYI: Apex used to be the hot ticket for those from UT. It was easy in and out, no more than 10 minutes getting out. But I know they closed it 3 years ago and forced those coming from the north into the main lot. I was wondering if they openned it again. I stopped coming to LVMS when they closed the APEX exit.

Last year we came up the south side and came in near the infield entrance. There was a line of cars turning in that were coming from the north, from the apex exit. I always park on the south side, the Vegas blvd side. I'm pretty sure that they close speedway blvd. so they'll likely force you down to one of the lots between speedway and checkered.

accadacca
02-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Leaning a little harder towards the Danica camp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soMhKtUvhJU
Uh yeah. :naughty:

Iceaxe
02-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Looks like APEX is now open.

http://www.lvms.com/fans/directions/

The yellow lot used to be the hot ticket for Utah residents. Use exit #58 (Apex) and park in the yellow lot.

Sandstone Addiction
02-25-2012, 06:55 AM

Looks like she was as surprised as everyone else--definitely a confidence builder. :nod:

I am kinda getting tired of all media coverage on her though, you'd think she was the only one entered in the race...

denaliguide
02-25-2012, 03:20 PM
danica on the pole conjured up a totally different image for me. just sayin.

Sandstone Addiction
02-26-2012, 06:40 PM
What a let down. I was really pumped up for this race...now I'm going to have to avoid all sports news until I can get home to watch the race. Not only that, but I had to endure listening to DW and watch him do that awful scare crow dance for 5 hours...agony.

Iceaxe
02-27-2012, 09:10 AM
I was very disappointed.....I had it all set up.. hot wings, beer, 60-inch HD, and the wife was out of the house with the kid for the whole afternoon and RAIN at Daytona.

It will be interesting to see if Danica can make it a perfect weekend.... she is already 2 for 2 in the wadding race cars department.

Anyhoo... the race is now scheduled for 5 pm (MST), Monday night.

Sandstone Addiction
02-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Race is delayed again, 5pm MST on Fox.

Here's my picks to win, if we ever get the race in...

1st Choice
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0abceCCgfLe1M/326x.jpg

2nd Choice
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aOc86rdac8AW/326x.jpg

3rd Choice
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0d9S6jL04T26e/326x.jpg

Honorable Mention:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00sl7TncUW0ZQ/326x.jpg

Of course, it will probably be the 18 or 14 to take the checkerd flag...Just my luck. :facepalm1:

Iceaxe
02-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Happy Harvick will definitely be poking his nose out front at some time on the last lap.

Friends don't let friends drive Fords. :bootyshake:

oldno7
02-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Looks like a 7pm start, tonight.

First Daytona under the lights.

Sandstone Addiction
02-27-2012, 09:42 AM
I had it all set up.. hot wings, beer, 60-inch HD, and the wife was out of the house with the kid for the whole afternoon and RAIN at Daytona.

It will be interesting to see if Danica can make it a perfect weekend.... she is already 2 for 2 in the wadding race cars department.

Looks like tonight it's gonna be Family Home Evening :haha:

For Danica, I wouldn't doubt that Bill France already called the other teams and told them to stay away from their franchise player...no touching her or there will be fines. :nono:

Friends don't let friends drive Fords. :bootyshake:

Ha Ha, I grew up with Fords and was, at one time, a die hard fan (that's when I became a Martin/Roush Driver fan) but since seen the light and became a Dodge (Cummins that is) fan. :2thumbs:

Since they made the cars all the same, it kinda took that competitivness away from the sport--I'm looking forward to next year and the change back in the right direction.

Iceaxe
02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
For Danica, I wouldn't doubt that Bill France already called the other teams and told them to stay away from their franchise player...no touching her or there will be fines. :nono:

I guess Cole Whitt missed that phone call.... :roflol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kt43TB0ssc

Sandstone Addiction
02-27-2012, 11:06 AM
I guess Cole Whitt missed that phone call.... :roflol:

Junior was probably too busy playing his video games to answer Bill's call. :user:

Sandstone Addiction
02-28-2012, 04:54 AM
:rock: :rock: :rock:

Awesome victory for Matt, Roush and Ford!

Sorry all you Junior fans, it was close.

I was shocked to see Cousin Carl pull off an 8th place finish!

Mark Martin pulled off a respectable top 10 finish.

Happy had a good finish in front of Carl. Maybe I should have done the fantasy racing this year...hummm.

Danica's, Jimmy's, and Stewart's bad luck at Daytona continued.

Another fantastic race at Daytona!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aoRdqG6hAeN6/621x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cHveVM2Tgbel/617x.jpg

oldno7
02-28-2012, 05:46 AM
And what race would be complete without Juan Pablo attempting to burn down the track:haha:

Sandstone Addiction
02-28-2012, 06:40 AM
And what race would be complete without Juan Pablo attempting to burn down the track:haha:

I don't do twitter, but I heard that people were tweeting this famous quote after the fiery crash...:lol8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDvZq0y2z1o

I guess that was one way to get his sponsor on TV, sure wasn't by running up front :roflol:

Iceaxe
02-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Nice to see Danica pull off the hat trick. :lol8:

WTF was Biffle thinking? He stood about a 90% chance of winning if he had of went for the pass coming off of turn 4. That guys not a racer...

As a big fan of open wheel racing I watched Danamania for the past 10 years. I've still never figured it out other than she is a good looking woman. Danica spent 10 years in open wheel and won exactly one race. And in that time she was always the second best female driver in the field as most Indy rail birds will tell you Sarah Fisher is more talented and has done lots more with far inferior equipment and a shoe string budget.

denaliguide
02-28-2012, 06:10 PM

X2

Iceaxe
03-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Looks like we have a fair number of NASCAR fans on Bogley so I changed the title of the thread to NASCAR 2012 to keep it rolling...

And it's off to Phoenix.... which is one of my favorite race tracks... we used to run a Supermodified and a Sprinter down there every year for the Copper World Classic and it was awesome. The first time I met Tony Stewart he was just a young kid racing a Midget and Sprinter at Copper World. Anyhoo... the trick to going fast at that place was figuring out which end of the race track to set your car up for. Now the track has been reconfigured for this year I hope they didn't screw the place up.

:bud:

Anyone want to place odds on Danica trashing anther car this Saturday? :lol8: Until she starts shoving back it going to be a very long season for her.

oldno7
03-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Trouble in the Johnson camp:

http://www.nascar.com/news/120229/jjohnson-cknaus-48-team-penalties/index.html

Sandstone Addiction
03-01-2012, 11:54 AM

http://www.nascar.com/news/120229/jjohnson-cknaus-48-team-penalties/index.html

I had to read that twice...negative 23 points right now! It's been a season of firsts so far.

No biggie for them though, they are seasoned veterans on penalties and Chad K coaching from his lazy boy back in Charlotte.

Anyhow, LOVE PIR. That's where I saw my first race in '92 with my hero (Awesome Bill #9) blowing a big lead in the championship points with a leaky head gasket. But wasn't too disappointed though, Davy Allison was my 2nd favorite and Alan Kulwicki was on my short list. I also got to see Richard Petty drive in his 2nd to last race. Special day.

As far a remodeling the track, I really miss the wall in turn 2...seems like Nascar is only interested in making it easier for the drivers to get around. Takes some of the fun away IMHO.

oldno7
03-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Been to PIR twice. The first time i thought I had great seats, just at the end of pit road.

Unfortunately, we were too low to see anything but the straightaway and turn 1.(lesson learned)

Iceaxe
03-01-2012, 02:40 PM

The last time Chad was caught cheating he was fined, penalized, had points docked and the end result was the 48 won the championship. :haha:

Iceaxe
03-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Been to PIR twice. The first time i thought I had great seats, just at the end of pit road.

Unfortunately, we were too low to see anything but the straightaway and turn 1.(lesson learned)

My favorite seats at PIR are high in turn 4.... just about everything exciting happens on the east end of that racetrack.

oldno7
03-01-2012, 04:23 PM
My favorite seats at PIR are high in turn 4.... just about everything exciting happens on the east end of that racetrack.

You talkin' monument hill?

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/opinion/04/11/arizona.mountains.dcaraviello/index.html

Sandstone Addiction
03-01-2012, 04:34 PM
What's everyone's favorite tracks to attend in person, watch on TV, or maybe attend in the future?

My favorite track I've been to was Richmond, it was the only race I've attended in the "South" and loved the laid-back attitude. Fans are awesome!

The tracks I'd love to attend someday would be Bristol, Martinsville and Charlotte. Maybe Sonoma.

oldno7
03-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Maybe odd--but I would love to go to Talladega.

Then Bristol or Martinsville, kinda goes to different extremes.

Iceaxe
03-02-2012, 08:35 AM
You talkin' monument hill?

No... the hill is too far away, back in the day (80's) the hill was fun because it was $5 and one giant party. But since they expanded the seating in turn 4 (in the 90's) you can't see turn 4 from the hill, which is where everything happens. At PIR you set a driver up entering 3 and make the pass in 4. You can really diamond that end of the track because the corners are so big. Turn 1 is really tight and narrow, In sprints and supers you will see some slide jobs in that corner, but the taxi cabs don't do slide jobs. The only thing turn 2 was good for in the past was watching drivers slam the wall that were not paying attention. If you were out of the groove that wall comes at you in a hurry.

You want the seats in the Richard Petty Grandstand, I like to be high as possible in the actual turn (section SS to VV) that way you have a direct line of sight down the front straight and are watching the cars come at you out of 3. You also have a descent view of pit lane. And the good new is these are some of the cheaper seats at PIR.

I've sat everywhere at that track, the turn 1 & 2 grandstand (Allison) is nicer and more modern, and you have a good view of everything, if you are mid-level or above.... but most the action is at the other end of the track.

http://www.phoenixraceway.com/Tickets-Events/Seating-Charts.aspx

Iceaxe
05-03-2012, 03:24 PM
DEGA!!!

:rock:

Sandstone Addiction
05-03-2012, 06:28 PM
DEGA!!!

:rock:

Did you take this photo? Killer seats if you did...

Go Daddy girl gonna be in the race?

Iceaxe
05-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Not my pic. Danica will race Saturday in the nationwide race. Her next cup race is the following week in the southern 500 @ darlington

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Sandstone Addiction
06-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Wow, Kenseth moving on...maybe to Gibbs they said.

Didn't see that coming...

Iceaxe
06-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Kenseth to JGR is a done deal. Joey Lagano is out. JGR is a powerhouse. I'm kinda surprised Ford didn't step in and maybe get Kenseth a seat at Penske, but I also heard Ford blew a large wad of cash to keep Edwards in a blue oval last year.

Sandstone Addiction
06-28-2012, 10:04 AM
I also heard Ford blew a large wad of cash to keep Edwards in a blue oval last year.

Lotta good that did! :roflol: Not likely to even make the chase...let alone, win a race.

They also said that no one wanted to sponsor Kenseth...what's up with that?

Iceaxe
06-28-2012, 10:39 AM
I believe Roush has sponsor issues. JGR seems to have a sponsor already dialed in. Normally you sign a driver and sponsor together for the same time period. I hear Kenseth will be signed to a 3 year deal and a sponsor is already in place, I'm not sure if it is Home Deposit.

Iceaxe
06-28-2012, 10:47 AM
FWIW: I also hear one of the big name teams has been trying to poach sponsors from some of the smaller teams and it is really pissing some people off. The big team is supposedly undercutting the price of putting your name on the hood or quarter panel... the big problem with this is it undercuts the value of what everyone is able to ask a sponsor. I got that info from a crew member of one of the smaller teams...... Just a wild ass guess on my part but I think the big team pissing everyone off and trying to poach sponsers is Roush.

Candace66
07-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Jr. is second in the Cup standings, and only 11 points behind the leader?! The end times are here! :haha:

Sandstone Addiction
07-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Anyone know the low down on Allmandinger?

Iceaxe
07-11-2012, 10:17 AM
No one is saying what the "substance" was.

denaliguide
07-11-2012, 05:39 PM
dinger's camp is saying it was a positive test for some type of stimulant. he has requested that his "b" sample be tested and is gathering up all medications and supplements he has been takingfor testing to see if something them may have been the cause. apparently he was just over the threshold.

Iceaxe
07-11-2012, 09:26 PM
We now know at least the type of violation which got AJ Allmendinger pulled from the seat of the No. 22 Shell Dodge just hours before last weekend's Daytona race: a stimulant.

Tara Ragan, vice president of Walldinger Racing, released the following statement, presented in full:

"In an effort to help our colleagues in the media report on this in a timely and accurate manner, we wanted to provide some additional details regarding AJ's sample 'A' test results. AJ tested positive for a stimulant. He has no idea why the first test was positive, and he has never knowingly taken any prohibited substance. AJ is collecting his medicines and supplements for testing to determine whether an over-the-counter product caused his positive test.

"AJ and all of us at Walldinger Racing respect NASCAR's testing program, and he has requested that his 'B' sample be tested as part of the process of getting to the bottom of this. We will have the opportunity to review all of the scientific data surrounding the test following the 'B' sample test, but our understanding is that AJ's test was slightly above the threshold. As of this morning, we have not been given notice of when the testing of the 'B' sample will take place. Thanks again for all of the support of our fans, team, and sponsors as we continue working through the process."

This shuts down several possibilities (hard narcotics, for instance) and opens up several others, most notably the possibility that Allmendinger may have unknowingly taken some sort of stimulant that triggered the positive result. Allmendinger recently signed a sponsorship with an energy shot compound called "Fuel in a Bottle," but there is no indication as yet that any specific substance contributed to the positive result.

USA Today notes that NASCAR's rule book defines stimulants as including "amphetamine, methamphetamine, Ecstasy (MDMA), Eve (MDEA), MDA, PMA, Phentermine and other amphetamine derivatives and related compounds."

There has, as yet, been no scheduled testing of the B sample. If that sample was found to be in violation, Allmendinger would be suspended indefinitely and not even considered for reinstatement until he completed a treatment program.

Sam Hornish Jr. will be driving the 22 this weekend at Loudon.

Iceaxe
07-11-2012, 11:10 PM
FYI: Randy Lajoie was caught by NASCAR smoking pot. He excepted responsibly, went through NASCAR's drug program and had his license reinstated two months later.

denaliguide
07-12-2012, 12:31 AM
remember that guy in the trucks who was doing heroin on race day? that was nuts. aaron fike was his name.

denaliguide
07-12-2012, 01:10 AM
more strange stuff. woman dresses up dead guy and watches nascar.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/11/michigan-woman-dresses-up-corpse-watches-nascar-with-it/?intcmp=trending

Iceaxe
10-04-2012, 09:10 AM
This weekend is Dega.... :banana:

This race should shake up The Chase.

:popcorn:

Sandstone Addiction
10-05-2012, 07:53 PM
I like the way it's shaking out right now, I'd love to see Brad win his and Penske's first. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
10-06-2012, 08:19 AM
I'd like to see Brad win because he is driving a Dodge... what a cluster**** that would be for Dodge... win the championship and not really be able to take advantage of it. Haha

Sent using Tapatalk

ChanManYFZLV
10-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Gotta love "DEGA".... Go Smoke #14 !!!!

Sandstone Addiction
10-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Gotta love "DEGA".... Go Smoke #14 !!!!

Wow, I never thought I'd ever hear Tony admit that he screwed up. :haha:

I loved Ku Busch explaining to the reporters that he shouldn't have to follow the rules because he's just being competitive. No class.

I also liked the way Jimmy hitched a ride back to the pits in Jr's wreck, way cool. :cool2:

Good race though, especially since Kenseth won! :2thumbs:

denaliguide
10-10-2012, 10:57 AM
what a melee at the end. amazing to see gordon come through it for second again. too bad it didn't help his points more.

Sandstone Addiction
10-12-2012, 01:15 PM
JR. to sit out next 2 races...

CONCORD, N.C. -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. will miss the next two races with his second concussion in the past six weeks, all but ending the championship chances of NASCAR's most popular driver.
The first concussion, suffered in a crash during an Aug. 29 tire test at Kansas, went undiagnosed until Wednesday, when Earnhardt was examined in Charlotte because of lingering effects from Sunday's crash at Talladega.
Earnhardt said he didn't report symptoms he was having after the Kansas crash for fear of being taken out of the car for the start of the Chase for the Cup.
"I remember everything about that accident, everything after that accident," Earnhardt said. "But I knew I didn't feel ... you know your body and how your mind works. I knew something was just not quite right. I decided to push through and work through it. I had concussions before and knew exactly kind of what I was dealing with. I felt pretty good after a week or two, definitely 80 to 90 percent after the Chase started. By the time I got to Talladega I felt 100 percent, really good."
Hendrick Motorsports said Earnhardt will sit out races at Charlotte and Kansas; Regan Smith will replace him in the No. 88 Chevrolet.
A source with knowledge of Earnhardt's business told ESPN that his salary from Hendrick to drive the car will not be affected by his missed races. Also, the money paid by his primary sponsors (Amp Energy this weekend and National Guard at Kansas) will not be affected in his absence.
Earnhardt, who celebrated his 38th birthday Wednesday, was injured in a 25-car, last-lap accident at Talladega. Because he was able to drive his car away from the accident -- teammate Jimmie Johnson even caught a lift on the window back to the garage -- Earnhardt was not required to go to the care center for an examination at the time.
Immediately after the race, he called restrictor-plate racing "bloodthirsty" and said he no longer had any desire to compete at Daytona and Talladega.

More story and video interview:

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8489668/dale-earnhardt-jr-concussion-2-races

Sandstone Addiction
11-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Congratulations to Brad Keselowski, the new Sprint Cup Champion! :2thumbs: What a great Chase and final race (no where near as exciting as Phoenix, but still pretty good) to end the season and best of all, it was someone besides the 48.:clap:

Miller Time for JJ.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/764/966/hi-res-156662382_crop_650.jpg?1353306314

Miller Time for everyone.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/764/967/hi-res-156665497_crop_650.jpg?1353306441

Last race after 14 years with Roush--kinda sad.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/764/969/hi-res-156593044_crop_650.jpg?1353306596

Gonna be weird.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/72121_502643796426672_2022479254_n.jpg