PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Granary Canyon Conditions?

ndonaldj
02-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Has anyone done Granary Canyon this time of year? I'm just wondering what to expect. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Iceaxe
02-20-2012, 01:51 PM
The route is accessible year round, provided there is no snow on the ground.

This was Moab on Saturday

This was Moab on Sunday

The canyoneering became a little sketchy on Sunday after the slickrock became covered with a thin sheet of ice.

remoteman45
02-21-2012, 08:33 AM
I went to do Granary about 3 weeks ago and after you go under the fallen boulder there's a real rough spot that when combined with some snow on it, I couldn't get past in my 4 wheel drive pickup. Had to turn around and go down. The road was a little sketchy in the spots where the sun didn't hit the road - some snow and ice. Next time I'll take the ATVs to make sure I can get up the road. Instead went and hiked around in the firey furnace.

Iceaxe
02-21-2012, 08:58 AM
If the road in Long canyon is out of commission you can always access by the paved Canyonlands road.

oldno7
02-21-2012, 09:08 AM
If the road in Long canyon is out of commission you can always access by the paved Canyonlands road.

and usually, just as fast or faster than long, getting to town.

peakbaggers
02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Wish the BLM or whoever has jursdiction would fix that spot, but maybe that's their way of traffic control. Rest of the road is fine.