PDA

View Full Version : The Super Amazing Canyoneering Map

Slot Machine
02-12-2012, 10:36 AM
The Super Amazing Canyoneering Map now lives on my blog.

Click here to use the interactive map and download the newest version. (https://amazingslots.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-super-amazing-canyoneering-map.html)

I encourage every canyoneer to freely share their knowledge without reservation.

Bob Allan

admin
02-12-2012, 10:42 AM
This map has been approved by Bogley. We value the free flow of information and beta. Bogley encourages members to contribute to this thread in a positive manner, all negative comments or attacks will be moved to a separate thread.

jman
02-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Quite a few locations there! Beta and Maps are two different things. People will disagree, however. And personally, I'm okay with a map like this. People can know where the trailhead is - however, how many rappels, potholes, lengths, difficult, mae-westing, etc. is an entirely different beast (which isn't provided here).

It will be interesting to see how the community reacts.

Joseph
02-13-2012, 04:30 AM
I like it. :nod:
Who? Me? Biased? Naah

Did you try your data file as a KML?
Doing so would let people zoom in and then click Menu ==> Label On/Off
All the names would then appear on the map.

Slot Machine
02-13-2012, 07:25 AM
I like it. :nod:
Who? Me? Biased? Naah

Are you the same Joseph that designed Gmap4?

If so, your software rocks. :hail2thechief:

Would you mind giving those of us that are less savy a quick tutorial on how to get a .kml file into Google Sites then into Gmap4?

Bob

Sombeech
02-13-2012, 07:39 AM

Would you mind giving those of us that are less savy a quick tutorial on how to get a .kml file into Google Sites then into Gmap4?

Bob

It's great software indeed. Here's his thread, it might help to keep focus on the canyoneering waypoints in this thread:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?40609-Add-an-interactive-topographic-map-(-GPS-data)-to-your-post

Iceaxe
02-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Looks like a very interesting map. I can't wait to spend some time looking around in it. :2thumbs:

Deathcricket
02-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Holy....... :eek2::eek2::eek2:

This thing is amazing, you put a lot of work into this and it really shows. Great job man!

uintahiker
02-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Oh the humanity! Does this mean that I get all the benefits of being in the club now, but without joining the club? I like it!

Sombeech
02-13-2012, 09:17 AM
OK one more tip then we'll get back to discussing the data:

If you select "Earth", you'll be able to view these in Google Earth mode. You'll first be required to install a teeny tiny browser plugin. If you've previously installed the plugin and you see this message, just hit continue and you'll be on your way:

And the result:

PG Rob
02-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks Slot Machine for getting this started... I have spent some time looking through your map, and am intrigued to see where this goes. You have put a lot of effort into this, yet there still seems to be a ways to go. There are several things mislabeled or labeled in an inconsistent manner. My intention is not to criticize, but to better understand your vision for this map. In an effort to the community providing you proper input: Who will decide and what will be the criteria for deciding if something is deemed worthy? Is your intention to mark the entry point of canyons, the trail head or mid-canyon (It appears there is some of each)?

To show good faith, I will point out 1 thing that has been labeled incorrectly: Woodruff canyon is labeled as Swett Canyon. Swett Creek is found here:37

jman
02-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Oh the humanity! Does this mean that I get all the benefits of being in the club now, but without joining the club? I like it!
hehe. Are you a canyoneer too? I thought you were mainly a hiker?

The "Loosest" Slots in Vegas Machine: you might find this link (http://www.math.utah.edu/%7Esfolias/cpmap.html) helpful too. This was created by a great member here - stefan. The Map is about 6 MB, but it contains a LOT of useful names with a good U.I.

Iceaxe
02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
The biggest advantage to this map I have noted so far is it allows users to see which canyons are neighbors. This should help those unfamilair with an area put together a weekend combo package.

SRG
02-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Hell yeah! Thanks for creating and sharing this map, looks like an awesome resource.

I think "Super Amazing Canyoneering Map" was the best choice for the title haha.

On another note, boooooooo to the Admin for moving negative posts to another thread. If you truly value the free flow of information here at Bogley, then let everyone post what they like and don't remove the post (unless its blatantly harassing or inappropriate or whatever).

Slot Machine
02-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks Slot Machine for getting this started... I have spent some time looking through your map, and am intrigued to see where this goes. You have put a lot of effort into this, yet there still seems to be a ways to go. There are several things mislabeled or labeled in an inconsistent manner. My intention is not to criticize, but to better understand your vision for this map. In an effort to the community providing you proper input: Who will decide and what will be the criteria for deciding if something is deemed worthy? Is your intention to mark the entry point of canyons, the trail head or mid-canyon (It appears there is some of each)?[QUOTE=PG Rob;487624]

[FONT=Verdana]To show good faith, I will point out 1 thing that has been labeled incorrectly: Woodruff canyon is labeled as Swett Canyon. Swett Creek is found here:37

outsider
02-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Very nice! And I agree with Iceaxe that it is really nice to see how the canyon systems fit together. On a different note, I've taken to looking at Bing Maps aerial imagery as well as Google lately. I've found it to be better in the areas I have looked at (not many yet). In any case, may be worth checking as a second source of info when trying to do detailed canyon scouting/planning.
-john

[Note: I like the idea of collecting points on all publicly available beta'd canyons, both print and web... but I'm not too keen on the (?) and (??) guesses.]

uintahiker
02-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Here's one to add to the map

Tent Rocks Slot Canyon 35

peakbaggers
02-13-2012, 01:23 PM
We think this is a super idea, Thanks for the hard work on it. For us who are newer to the community, it really helps in just knowing where certain canyons are and makes it easier to locate them when we see some mention of them without detail as to location. We'll use it for planning purposes, I'm sure. And for those worried about the canyons being overrun by every canyon-bagger out there, maybe a resource like this will help spread out the traffic once people can more easily see in a visual way where these canyons are located and how many there are. :nod:

Iceaxe
02-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Slot Machine, If/when you make improvements or additions to your map I would suggest you revised the map in the first post over posting a new map each time. You can do this simply by clicking -> Edit -> Advanced, and than locating the Manage Attachments option. That way members will not have to wade through pages of posts to find the latest updated map. When you update the map you can post something like the "map in the original post has been updated to version 2.1" or whatever, which will bump the thread and let everyone know that there is a new revision to the map.

This is just a suggestion, we have used this approach with Bogley-fests in the past with excellent results.

Slot Machine
02-13-2012, 02:37 PM
When you update the map you can post something like the "map in the original post has been updated to version 2.1" or whatever, which will bump the thread and let everyone know that there is a new revision to

:nod: Good Idea, will do.

Sombeech
02-13-2012, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE=uintahiker;487651]Here's one to add to the map

Tent Rocks Slot Canyon 35

shaggy125
02-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Very cool, nice work. I made a map similar to this back in like 2006 if it helps you out at all. It included links to online beta or page numbers for beta in the old Kelsey guide. It was posted in what was called the "Members only" section. It was a section created by the "UUTAH" guys (before they changed the site to BOGLEY) to encourage people to sign up and make usernames rather than browse the site as guests. Now it may be in the bigshot section? I don't know, it tells me I don't have permission to view it but maybe it will work for some of you. This should be the link, if it works for someone, feel free to attach the .kml file to this post:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5983

EDIT: I found the file on my hard drive, it includes both Canyons and hikes. It however gives away the location of some of the ruins and panels in the Members section of Climb-Utah.com. I remember Shane giving me permission to post it in the Members only section of the old UUTAH, but I'll hold off posting it here in case he is opposed to it. I can probably send it to you Slot Machine, it includes the locations of a bunch of canyons in the Pacific Northwest that would be nice to add to your map.

jman
02-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Very cool, nice work. I made a map similar to this back in like 2006 if it helps you out at all. It included links to online beta or page numbers for beta in the old Kelsey guide. It was posted in what was called the "Members only" section. It was a section created by the "UUTAH" guys (before they changed the site to BOGLEY) to encourage people to sign up and make usernames rather than browse the site as guests. Now it may be in the bigshot section? I don't know, it tells me I don't have permission to view it but maybe it will work for some of you. This should be the link, if it works for someone, feel free to attach the .kml file to this post:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5983

EDIT: I found the file on my hard drive, it includes both Canyons and hikes. It however gives away the location of some of the ruins and panels in the Members section of Climb-Utah.com. I remember Shane giving me permission to post it in the Members only section of the old UUTAH, but I'll hold off posting it here in case he is opposed to it. I can probably send it to you Slot Machine, it includes the locations of a bunch of canyons in the Pacific Northwest that would be nice to add to your map.

Yeah, it's in the Big Shot section. I forgot about your work for that one Eric. Great job on it! Maybe it's time for a merge.

maarten.1975
02-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks man, this is an awesome extra piece of candy you are providing me with, to prepare my upcoming holiday.
Loaded in both Google earth, and as well on my mobile GPS.

Thanks !!!!

ratagonia
02-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Yeah, it's in the Big Shot section. I forgot about your work for that one Eric. Great job on it! Maybe it's time for a merge.

ELITESTS!!!! :facepalm1:

jman
02-13-2012, 10:25 PM

Perhaps you should 'occupy' the BigShot section! Occupying IS the answer.

xxnitsuaxx
02-13-2012, 10:37 PM

I believe the word you're looking for is "elitists". (Nothing but love Tom; we all know that you wouldn't let that one go if one of us said it.)

Slot Machine
02-14-2012, 01:41 AM
Many people are aware of Shaggy's map and it is really, really good. One way it is different from my map is that it contains a significant amount of info on canyon art and ruins.

While creating The Map, Shaggy's map was shared with me. I was informed about the reasoning behind keeping Shaggy's map in the member's only area. The concerned individual wanted to protect ruins and canyon art from vandals (understandable). Simply posting Shaggy's map on the internet would almost certainly increase the incidence of theft and vandalism at those locations.

My vision is to create a general map intended for canyoneers. No ruins, no landmarks, no specific beta, no arch bagging- just canyon locations.

I think leaving Shaggy's map in the members only area is a wise move.

Kind of like using a spell checker is a wise move. :haha:

:rockit::banana:Check out the top of this thread for the updated Super Amazing Map 3. :rock::party:

Bob

stefan
02-14-2012, 06:06 AM

interesting how protective some can be about information being posted on bogley.

ratagonia
02-14-2012, 07:45 AM
I believe the word you're looking for is "elitists". (Nothing but love Tom; we all know that you wouldn't let that one go if one of us said it.)

Spelling wurds correctly is elitest blather!!!! :moses:

Slot Machine
02-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Map question-

does anybody know anything about this area?

I read somewhere that the above canyons are called, Galucoma, Sinuitis and Earache? Help?

Also,

I believe this is Escalatte, I've seen several photos of it but am not certain that this is the location. Help?

Bob

canyondevil
02-14-2012, 08:48 AM
The canyons in the first picture you asked about are on Shane's site.

Iceaxe
02-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Very cool, nice work. I made a map similar to this back in like 2006 if it helps you out at all. It included links to online beta or page numbers for beta in the old Kelsey guide. It was posted in what was called the "Members only" section. It was a section created by the "UUTAH" guys (before they changed the site to BOGLEY) to encourage people to sign up and make usernames rather than browse the site as guests.

I'll leave it up to Shaggy as to where he wants his map to reside. If he wants it moved to canyoneering I'll be happy to move it for him (just PM me). I've always considered what people want to share, and how and where they share it, to be a personal choice/dilemma.

Slot Machine
02-14-2012, 04:19 PM
More beta for the Dante's was published today. For those playing along at home, these are the confirmed names of each canyon:

Getting that question answered was a LOT of work. :phew: They will be included in Version 4.

The questions about map 1 above (warm springs) have also been answered and will be published with Version 4.

Thanks to everyone that is contributing to The Map.

Bob

River
02-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Great map. If interested in adding canyons in the NW:
http://www.canyoneeringnorthwest.com/index.html

Erik

shaggy125
02-15-2012, 09:40 AM
I'll leave it up to Shaggy as to where he wants his map to reside. If he wants it moved to canyoneering I'll be happy to move it for him (just PM me). I've always considered what people want to share, and how and where they share it, to be a personal choice/dilemma.

When I posted it I seem to remember it was decided to keep it in the members only section so it wouldn't be searchable in Google for anyone in the world to find, something like that. Unless something's changed I'm fine with it staying there.

Audilard
02-15-2012, 04:42 PM
What do you have to be a member of to get access to this "members only" data? Climb-Utah?

ghawk
02-15-2012, 06:15 PM
What do you have to be a member of to get access to this "members only" data? Climb-Utah?

I believe that's a bogley big shot section. They have a donation you can make to bogley and you get access to that stuff. I think it costs like $50 bucks or something.

Sombeech
02-15-2012, 06:26 PM

I think he's referring to the Bogley BigShots area. Like Iceaxe said, we'll move it out to the public if shaggy would like us to. Or like he said, he's got the files in his possession and he is free to post them up / embed the google map at any time.

A side note, Google Maps will only show a limited amount of waypoints at a time, I think it might be 100. That's why we had to use the Gmap4 on Bob's map, as it will show them all in the same shot.

shaggy125
02-15-2012, 09:39 PM

Back in the old days the moderators created a "Members Only" section. I could be wrong, but if I remember right, they created it to encourage lurkers to actually make up usernames and log in when they browse the site rather than browse anonymously. All you had to have was a username and be logged in to access the members only section. Didn't have to pay anything. I posted a map similar to Slot Machines but it included links to climb-utah, or toms site, etc... to give beta on the waypoint. It included a bunch of ruins and rock art sites that I got from being a member of climb-utah.com. Before I posted my map, I emailed Shane and asked what he thought. I made the map for myself but was willing to share it with everyone but didn't want to give away locations of stuff that I only knew about because of being a member of his site. He replied that it was ok to post the map, but requested I put it in the memebers only section, since this section could not be accessed by search engine bots and the sensitive ruins and petroglyph info would be harder to access by the world outside of Bogley.

Later, the moderators came up with the bigshot idea, asking people to donate money to help cover the costs of the increasing internet traffic the site gets. In exchange you would get access to exclusive content in the bigshot sections. The old Members Only section apparently became part of the bigshot section and you now have to pay to have access to it, make sense? If you want a copy of the file, PM me and I'll send it to you, that way bogleyites still have access but it's not searchable with google and everyone is happy. Or become a bigshot and have access to it and other stuff.

Slot Machine
02-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Map Update:

The National Park Service has noticed that the marker for Lomatium Canyon is placed in the incorrect location. They also pointed out that Lomatium Canyon normally requires a guide to lead most people to the entrance point and would prefer not having canyoneers running amok on the cryptobiotic soil looking for the entrance. Please consider using a guide service or hiking with a canyoneer familiar with the area when canyoneering in the Fiery Furnace. Please be considerate when visiting this area so that the Park Service continues to keep it open to canyoneering.

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]I

canyondevil
02-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Bob-

You might want to consider removing Lomatium from the map altogether. The Park Service currently does not allow guided trips within the park, so unless people know someone who has been in there before (and can actually remember the way to the entrance) they are going to go looking on their own. If this happens, the Park Service will close the route to everyone. There has been much discussion about this route on Bogley, and because of the sensitivity of the access, it is the general consensus to not post anything on the web about it's whereabouts.

moab mark
02-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Bob-

You might want to consider removing Lomatium from the map altogether. The Park Service currently does not allow guided trips within the park, so unless people know someone who has been in there before (and can actually remember the way to the entrance) they are going to go looking on their own. If this happens, the Park Service will close the route to everyone. There has been much discussion about this route on Bogley, and because of the sensitivity of the access, it is the general consensus to not post anything on the web about it's whereabouts.

Slot Machine
02-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Bob-

The Park Service requested that I move the marker to the parking area. I thought their request was a fair so I complied. I will also include a marker for Krill canyon in the same location.

The park service does allow one company to guide people through Lomatium and Krill.

Finding info on Lomatium is easy, there is lots of stuff floating around out there including a nice Trip Report on Bogley. Figuring out the route is a different matter. I would hope people are not foolish enough to push their luck with the Park Service in Arches and wander around trying to figure it out on their own.

As far as not posting anything on The Map about Lomatium... well, that goes against what I am trying to create. If there is a canyon anywhere that is significant to the canyoneering community I hope to map it. We should (and eventually will) share the same basic info.

Bob

moab mark
02-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Currently no Guide Service is allowed to guide in the Park. The Park is reviewing the Management Plan for Canyoneering and Climbing in Arches. Lomatium and Krill are in a very sensitive area and to bring any attention to these locations at this times does not benefit anyone in the Canyoneering Community.
http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?39928-Arches-NP-Climbing-and-Canyoneering-Management-Plan

canyondevil
02-16-2012, 07:56 PM
The park service does allow one company to guide people through Lomatium and Krill.
Bob

And who might that be? Your excellent Googling skills should be able to enlighten us.

Slot Machine
02-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Mark and Devil,

I'm not going to dwell in the minutia of who can guide or what area is sensitive. My map is purely objective.

I've thought of a concept, I'll call it the Mt Everest analogy.

If my favorite hangout spot is on the peak of Mt Everest, and I decide to map it on Google Earth, then how people use that information is up to them. If they climb and damage the environment, if they climb and Nepal decides to close the mountain, or if someone climbs and perishes (not that I wish that on anyone) that is the responsibility of the climber - not me, for pointing out the peak.

I can not emphisize this point enough - I am pointing out peaks of the Himalayas, not telling anyone how to climb them.

If people damage Everest, get banned from Everest or die on Everest, it is not the responsibility of the first person to map Everest.

Bob

moab mark
02-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Bob scan up to the top of Matt's site and you will see where he talks about the Park Service removing his permit.

The managers of Arches National Park are currently developing a Canyoneering Management Plan. Until that plan is completed (expected to be this fall), no guided canyoneering trips can be offered in the Park. The canyons listed above that are crossed out are all in the Park. In the meantime, please consider one of the many awesome trips that take place outside the park (the ones that aren't crossed out!). Give us a call if you have any questions. Thanks!

hank moon
02-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Mark and Devil,

I'm not going to dwell in the minutia of who can guide or what area is sensitive. My map is purely objective.

Hi Bob

Everything that involves people is political. Your map is political. The park can and eventually will close sensitive areas if they are overrun by enough insensitive canyoneers - and it doesn't take many to make an impact in the furnace. Including sensitive areas on a broadband map will hasten the process. Just saying (the obvious). :)

Slot Machine
02-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Hi Bob

Everything that involves people is political. Your map is political. The park can and eventually will close sensitive areas if they are overrun by enough insensitive canyoneers - and it doesn't take many to make an impact in the furnace. Including sensitive areas on a broadband map will hasten the process. Just saying (the obvious). :)

Hi Hank,

Yes I understand. It is up to the canyoneering community to decide what to do with information on the map. Pretending the canyon isn't there certainly isn't the answer. Deleting it from my map isn't an option (respectfully). I thought the people from the Park Service came up with a pretty good solution.

Bob

PG Rob
02-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Most anyone that will seek out these routes will know they are in the furnace. I don't know if placing a marker at the parking lot will draw additional attention, or cause more abuse to the area. I don't believe so.

Just a thought as a compromise... anyone that does these routes will need to get a permit for the furnace from the Arches visitor's center. Since the route essentially starts there, what about placing the markers at the visitor's center?

Slot Machine
02-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Rob

Not a bad idea... :hmm2:

Bob

hank moon
02-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Pretending the canyon isn't there certainly isn't the answer.

Hi Bob, can you elaborate on that? Who or what is or has been pretending the canyon isn't there?

Lomatium, for example?

tcott
02-16-2012, 10:35 PM
If a map shows hundreds of canyons, are the ones that are marked in a parking lot really going to attract that much attention??? :ne_nau: Just sayin.

Also I think you missed water canyon in hildale by one drainage, pretty sure it's this one 37

Slot Machine
02-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Hi Bob, can you elaborate on that? Who or what is or has been pretending the canyon isn't there?

Lomatium, for example?

I'm saying that removing the Lomatium marker from the map is as productive as pretending the canyon doesn't exist.

Bob

Slot Machine
02-17-2012, 06:58 AM
Also, if you Google "Lomatium Canyon" you get 654 results. It was very easy to figure out where that canyon is roughly located. There are many photos embedded in Google Earth, there are many photos online, and Desert Highlights still has the canyons on their website. I wouldn't ask that anyone remove any of those things from the internet. The effort would be a waste of time.

The Map doesn't give away any info that is not easily discovered on the internet. I plan to leave Lomatium and Krill on the map and hope people handle that information responsibly.

Bob

hank moon
02-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Also, if you Google "Lomatium Canyon" you get 654 results. It was very easy to figure out where that canyon is roughly located. There are many photos embedded in Google Earth, there are many photos online, and Desert Highlights still has the canyons on their website. I wouldn't ask that anyone remove any of those things from the internet. The effort would be a waste of time.

The Map doesn't give away any info that is not easily discovered on the internet. I plan to leave Lomatium and Krill on the map and hope people handle that information responsibly.

Bob

Yah, makes sense - thanks for the reply, bob, and keep on mappin' (responsibly) :)

canyondevil
02-17-2012, 07:32 AM
pretending the canyon doesn't exist.

Bob

That is exactly what we are going to be doing when the NPS shuts it down to us. Bob, you need to take a look at your canyoneering ethics. Ethics are not just about not bolting and what color of webbing to use. Ethics are also about doing everything possible to keep access to these prestine places for everyone to enjoy. We are not trying to make this a "secret canyon" or an "elitist preserve", we are just wanting to keep it off the radar as much as we possibly can so that we can enjoy it in the future. Lomatium and Krill have been on think ice for a long time with the NPS, and you are no doubt just adding to the problem by having them advertised on your map. Although you probably dont care, because all you are doing is trying to be the guy who made the "Super Amazing Canyoneering Map". If you would spend half the time out exploring canyons that you do researching them on the internet, you would actually get the concept we are talking about.

Deathcricket
02-17-2012, 07:57 AM
If you would spend half the time out exploring canyons that you do researching them on the internet, you would actually get the concept we are talking about.

Aaaannnnnd they're back! Wooot!

Iceaxe
02-17-2012, 08:18 AM
First off.... Lomatium is not a canyon, it's a route that winds through the sandstone fins of the furnace. The route is really more of a deviation/addition to the ranger guided route that requires a rappel and visits a small area not accessible to your average tourist.

I appreciate Slot Machine moving his marker out of the furnace to the parking lot/trailhead, which to me actually makes more sense since its not a canyon but a loop hike requiring ropes. I don't think its any big secret in the canyoneering community that Lomatium is inside the furnace.

Instead of bitching about what is or isn't on a map, maybe a better use of time would be to mentor and educate. Those who have been in the furnace need to offer their time and experience to those that haven't to make certain we can keep this valuable and unique resource open. In the end the only way we will keep this resource open is through education.

To Slot Machine... I know you are excited about your new map, But understand Arches NP in currently in the middle of writing the rules and regulations that will govern climbing and canyoneering inside the park for the next 20 or 30 years. Please avoid making any waves with the NPS that will cost us all in the near future. If the area is closed to canyoneering you will be removing pins from your map next year and not adding more. Just don't be in a big hurry to stick pins in Arches MP for the time being, hopefully the new management plan will be complete by this time next year and you can stick pins in Arches NP to your hearts content, in addition to giving you a good reason to update your map and bump the thread.

To all.... using moderation with regards to Arches at the moment is a great idea. To those that want more information on what is currently needed from the canyoneering community in regards to Arches at this time please read this thread:
http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?61392

:soapbox:

Slot Machine
02-17-2012, 07:32 PM
:iagree:

:bud::guitar: :treehugger: VERSION 4 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE. :kickit: :wave: :rock:

I am happy to work with the National Park Service regarding any issues with The Map. No additional markers will be added to Arches National Park after this version.

Special thanks the the people that contributed to this update. You guys rock. :rockit:
Enjoy!

Bob

jumar
02-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Do you want a couple Wyoming ones added?

Slot Machine
02-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Do you want a couple Wyoming ones added?

Sure! Spur Canyon looks interesting...

Bob

Joseph
02-20-2012, 04:35 AM

Bob

Yes, 'tis I. Thanks for the kind words.

The hand-holding you are looking for is on p.28. of the Gmap4 Help file in a section titled:
"Place your files online via Google Sites - It's free"
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_help.pdf

Iceaxe
02-21-2012, 07:55 AM
I was just looking at your latest map. You have Insomnia and Illusions (in AZ) labeled correctly so you can remove the question marks.

Wormhole at Lake Powell is labeled correctly, so you can remove the question marks.

You are slightly off on Downward Spiral, it is located here:

desotodave
02-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Slot,

Thanks for the map! It is a great resource for those of us who don't spend our lives in the canyons, but got several times a year and want to make the most out of a trip. For myself in particular, seeing where a number of canyons are located gives me a starting point, (or camping spot) to begin a trip. From there I can then get the beta on these canyons from friends who have done them, or sites like Climb-utah and Bogley. Some of us who love canyoneering have desk jobs, wives and little kids that prevent us from going as often as many of you. Have fun!

accadacca
02-24-2012, 12:51 PM
I showed this to a buddy here at work today. He has been an avid hiker/backpacker and recently discovered canyoneering. He was blown away by all the canyons and how nice it was to see them from the air. We buzzed around in google earth mode for a while and it was really cool! :2thumbs:

Slot Machine
02-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the map! It is a great resource for those of us who don't spend our lives in the canyons, but got several times a year and want to make the most out of a trip. For myself in particular, seeing where a number of canyons are located gives me a starting point, (or camping spot) to begin a trip. From there I can then get the beta on these canyons from friends who have done them, or sites like Climb-utah and Bogley. Some of us who love canyoneering have desk jobs, wives and little kids that prevent us from going as often as many of you. Have fun!

I showed this to a buddy here at work today. He has been an avid hiker/backpacker and recently discovered canyoneering. He was blown away by all the canyons and how nice it was to see them from the air. We buzzed around in google earth mode for a while and it was really cool! :2thumbs:

Thanks for the compliments! It is good to hear that the map is proving useful to the community. Your feedback is appreciated.

:stud: VERSION 5 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE :numchucks:

Special thanks to Iceaxe, jumar and to those who prefer to remain anonymous for their contributions to this update!

Is there anybody that would like to share some canyons in California?

Bob

ratagonia
02-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the compliments! It is good to hear that the map is proving useful to the community. Your feedback is appreciated.

:stud: VERSION 5 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE :numchucks:

Special thanks to Iceaxe, jumar and to those who prefer to remain anonymous for their contributions to this update!

Is there anybody that would like to share some canyons in California?

Bob

There's a lot here: http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/content.htm

I would suggest starting with Death Valley canyons, as 'tis the season.

Tom :moses:

Slot Machine
02-24-2012, 10:53 PM
There's a lot here: http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/content.htm

I would suggest starting with Death Valley canyons, as 'tis the season.

Tom :moses:

*cough* *sputter* *sloshes beer onto my March edition of Cartographer's Monthly featuring my face on the cover*

Emeritus my ass, look at that content! :haha: You'll be back to being The Emperor before ya know it.

Thanks Tom.

Bob http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/3.gif

Slot Machine
03-01-2012, 05:40 PM
:party: VERSION 6 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE :snowboard2:

This update is BIG. If you are from Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington or Canada please take a look at the canyons that have been added to your area. Please let me know if there are any errors (there are probably a few). Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm looking to expand the map to Hawaii and New Zealand. Please let me know if you have info for canyons in those locations.

Enjoy!

Bob http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/3.gif

ratagonia
03-01-2012, 09:42 PM
There's a bunch of sensitivities about several issues in New Zealand. Private land and Didymo come to mind immediately. May I advise against posting those on your map?

Thanks.

Tom

DesertDuke
03-02-2012, 07:20 AM
OK, I need help.....(besides the obvious). Do I save the link from your original post and access the latest version from that? I do not see a link in this now that leads to it. Is there a sticky on this that gets updated?

Slot Machine
03-02-2012, 08:49 AM
OK, I need help.....(besides the obvious). Do I save the link from your original post and access the latest version from that? I do not see a link in this now that leads to it. Is there a sticky on this that gets updated?

Yes, you must save the link from the original post to access the latest version. You should delete the old version from Google Earth before installing the new one (this is obvious when you see all the duplicated markers I suppose). There is no sticky that gets updated. Please send me a PM if you have any other issues, I'm happy to help.

Bob

Slot Machine
03-02-2012, 09:12 AM
There's a bunch of sensitivities about several issues in New Zealand. Private land and Didymo come to mind immediately. May I advise against posting those on your map?

Thanks.

Tom

I think you have a valid point, although National Geographic's October 2011 article on canyoning in New Zealand would certainly have a greater impact on those issues than exposing canyon locations on The Map.

Here are the photos from those canyons:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/10/australia-canyons/peter-photography

Do you have any information on the issues with New Zealand that you could educate us with? Can people visit these canyons responsibly?

Do similar canyoneering issues exist in Hawaii since the climate is somewhat similar (compared to Utah)?

Thanks for your input.
Bob

ratagonia
03-02-2012, 12:25 PM
I think you have a valid point, although National Geographic's October 2011 article on canyoning in New Zealand would certainly have a greater impact on those issues than exposing canyon locations on The Map.

Here are the photos from those canyons:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/10/australia-canyons/peter-photography

Do you have any information on the issues with New Zealand that you could educate us with? Can people visit these canyons responsibly?

Do similar canyoneering issues exist in Hawaii since the climate is somewhat similar (compared to Utah)?

Thanks for your input.

Bob

You are aware, Bob, that New Zealand and Australia are different countries? :facepalm1: From over here, kinda close together, but separate none the less... :naughty:

Info on NZ is available at the Kiwi Canyons Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kiwi_canyons/?yguid=261401300

Info on Australia is available at the Oz Canyons Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OzCanyons/?yguid=261401300 I hope to soon have a few copies of Canyons near Syndney for sale.

Hawaii has lots of private land issues, no Didymo as far as I know.

Tom

Iceaxe
03-02-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm looking to expand the map to Hawaii and New Zealand. Please let me know if you have info for canyons in those

As someone who deals in the spewing of beta.... I'd advise that you stick to one geographical location.... in your case maybe the USA.

Lots of reasons for this... the first being if you make an elephant sandwich you have eat it.... or let it go to waste.

I believe you will find your map of the USA to be a large and never ending project, at least if you intend to pursue it. I mean you still have a long ways to go just to finish up the USA. You can always expand at a later date if you feel the urge.

Anyhoo.... just my 2 cents. :cool2:

Slot Machine
03-02-2012, 01:24 PM
You are aware, Bob, that New Zealand and Australia are different countries? :facepalm1: From over here, kinda close together, but separate none the less... :naughty:

DOH! :facepalm1: I forgot the article in National Geographic was about canyoning in Australia. I thought that it was about Sleeping God Canyon in NZ.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Slot Machine
03-02-2012, 02:32 PM
As someone who deals in the spewing of beta.... I'd advise that you stick to one geographical location.... in your case maybe the USA.

Lots of reasons for this... the first being if you make an elephant sandwich you have eat it.... or let it go to waste.

I believe you will find your map of the USA to be a large and never ending project, at least if you intend to pursue it. I mean you still have a long ways to go just to finish up the USA. You can always expand at a later date if you feel the urge.

Anyhoo.... just my 2 cents. :cool2:

Good point. If I find myself placing markers in North Dakota then I'll know this poject... and my life... has taken a dramatic turn for the worse. :haha:

Hmm... maybe I'll just limit The Map to the Western US and Hawaii. I'll include Hawaii since it is feasable for a canyoneer in Utah to go canyoneering there. Hmmm... what does my schedule look like next winter..? :mrgreen:

Bob

accadacca
03-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Good point. If I find myself placing markers in North Dakota then I'll know this poject... and my life... has taken a dramatic turn for the worse. :haha:
:lol8:

PG Rob
03-02-2012, 03:38 PM

Here is one in North Dakota. I do not have the GPS coordinates. Hopefully someone else will have them. If you hit this one "In Season" it is unlike any other canyon you have done. Make sure you have good beta, as this canyon requires specialized equipment.

Whitnoid
03-05-2012, 02:51 PM
This is AWESOME!!! Thank you sooo much!
cheers,

Whit

Slot Machine
03-21-2012, 09:08 AM
:toker::cheers: VERSION 7 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE :fart::dizzy:

HELPFUL MAP TIP OF THE DAY:

BING MAPS HAS THE CLEAREST SATELLITE IMAGERY I'VE EVER SEEN. THEIR IMAGES ARE MUCH HIGHER RESOLUTION THAN GOOGLE MAPS, THEY USE ACTUAL PHOTOGRAPHS (VS PHOTOGRAPHS THAT HAVE BEEN CONVERTED TO 3D IMAGERY LIKE GOOGLE EARTH). WHEN BROWSING, CLICK ON "AREIAL VIEW" TO SEE THE PHOTOGRAPHS.

SADLY, THE SUPER AMAZING MAP IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH BING MAPS. (AS FAR AS I KNOW)

General question for everyone: Is this canyon Egypt 5?

ratagonia
03-21-2012, 09:40 AM
[QUOTE=Slot Machine;491816]

General question for everyone: Is this canyon Egypt 5?

Slot Machine
03-21-2012, 07:33 PM
WOW, that sounds like a good time! :haha: I'll have to work on my crack climbing skills before trying E5. Next week we will just explore it from the bottom, to see what we are in for.

And DOUBLE WOW on sharing the beta! (not being snide) Thank you Tom for taking the time, that is a very good description. :gents:

Bob

ratagonia
03-21-2012, 07:53 PM
WOW, that sounds like a good time! :haha: I'll have to work on my crack climbing skills before trying E5. Next week we will just explore it from the bottom, to see what we are in for.

And DOUBLE WOW on sharing the beta! (not being snide) Thank you Tom for taking the time, that is a very good description. :gents:

Bob

I am happy to share beta when I am happy to share beta. Not so happy some other times... :lol8:

Power chimneying, flared downward. Requires strength AND technique.

T :moses:

PG Rob
03-21-2012, 08:08 PM
We call that E5 Top

Is this the same thing as Beaver Dam Canyon?

ratagonia
03-21-2012, 09:33 PM

I have no idea. Is that a Kelsey name? Sounds like it, as it is entirely non-descript, and could be used to describe 1000 canyons in Utah. Kelsey = not my department.

T

PG Rob
03-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Beaver Dam Canyon was named by Scott Patterson and I was under the impression that it was an AKA for E5

Sombeech
03-23-2012, 06:48 AM
BING MAPS HAS THE CLEAREST SATELLITE IMAGERY I'VE EVER SEEN. THEIR IMAGES ARE MUCH HIGHER RESOLUTION THAN GOOGLE MAPS, THEY USE ACTUAL PHOTOGRAPHS (VS PHOTOGRAPHS THAT HAVE BEEN CONVERTED TO 3D IMAGERY LIKE GOOGLE EARTH). WHEN BROWSING, CLICK ON "AREIAL VIEW" TO SEE THE PHOTOGRAPHS.

SADLY, THE SUPER AMAZING MAP IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH BING MAPS. (AS FAR AS I KNOW)

Hmmm... maybe we'll have to provide a Bing Maps option huh? Let me look into that, no promises though :bandit:

diesel
03-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Wow this map is amazing. I can't wait to get out and try some canyons. Sandthrax sounds like a cool adventure. Good to finally see where the classics like Choprock and Imlay are. Little Wild Horse was soooo much fun, I can't wait to try something a little harder.

wasatchghost
03-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Wow this map is amazing. I can't wait to get out and try some canyons. Sandthrax sounds like a cool adventure. Good to finally see where the classics like Choprock and Imlay are. Little Wild Horse was soooo much fun, I can't wait to try something a little harder. Okay, I'm 95% positive this was a joke.

diesel
03-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Okay, I'm 95% positive this was a joke.
Just trying to ruffle panties and bunch feathers. Although it really was my first post. I guess I need to finish my profile and start contributing. I was hoping for more reaction but then I saw a new thread on risk assessment that could have been partly inspired by that post. Whatever happened to good ole :angryfire:'ing.

ratagonia
03-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Just trying to ruffle panties and bunch feathers. Although it really was my first post. I guess I need to finish my profile and start contributing. I was hoping for more reaction but then I saw a new thread on risk assessment that could have been partly inspired by that post. Whatever happened to good ole :angryfire:'ing.

Well... because while you know your post was ridiculous, there are quite a few who might not because, after all, that canyoneering thing - just sliding down ropes, nothing to it. Heck, monkeys could do it! :cool2:

Redpb
05-14-2012, 12:35 PM
On the note of sharing beta...
I've been putting on image overlays on the routes for a few canyons that I've done or want to do. Now, this is using someone else's maps and without permission. With their permission is anyone else interested in these overlays? It takes a bit of time lining everything up. If people are interested I'll keep going, otherwise I'll just stick with what I want.

Scott P
05-14-2012, 01:16 PM

I have no idea. Is that a Kelsey name? Sounds like it, as it is entirely
non-descript, and could be used to describe 1000 canyons in Utah. Kelsey = not
my department.

The beaver dam slot (perhaps non-caps) is we called it in the early 1990's before the Egypt numbering was published. We called it that because a beaver had built it's dam right near the mouth of the slot and it backed up a pond actually into the slot. It was more a generic thing we called it than an official name. E4 was "bloody", but it wasn't meant to be an official name either, just what we called it.

We did not do the section of E5 Tom is referring to, only the lower section (which was nasty).

Anyway in April 1988, during a Coyote Gulch trip Steve Negler told us about some canyon that is so dark that you need a flashlight to get through. He mentioned that you park at Egypt to find it, but didn't say anything else about it. In the early 1990's we went out looking for it and found (found for us I mean as others obviously knew about them) all the Egypt slots. We thought one of the Egypt slots must be it, but it wasn't until another trip with Steve in 1995 that we were looking on the wrong side of the river all this time. What is now known as Ringtail now was actually the canyon Steve was referring to.

Anyway, (along with Neon) we thought of the Egypt slots as one of our "secret areas", but then Steve Allen published them in 1998 so I let Kelsey know about them since the cat was out of the bag anyway. Neon was also a "secret haunt" among some Sierra Club members in the 1980's and probably before. It seems that few people even referred to Ringtail as Neon, possibly by mistake (I've heard one person say that Neon that requires the flashlight (?) and I contacted Kelsey with this then when we first started looking for it, asking him if he knew where it is). Earlier some people called Neon "Caverns Hollow", but in retrospect, I wonder the original "Caverns Hollow" was actually meant to be Ringtail (which was SA's name) and that people were confusing the two? I've been trying to track it all down with little luck.

Anyway Steve Negler used to be a prominent member of the Wasatch Mountain Club. Does anyone know if he's still around?

Slot Machine
05-14-2012, 01:50 PM
On the note of sharing beta...
I've been putting on image overlays on the routes for a few canyons that I've done or want to do. Now, this is using someone else's maps and without permission. With their permission is anyone else interested in these overlays? It takes a bit of time lining everything up. If people are interested I'll keep going, otherwise I'll just stick with what I want.

I might be interested. In what way are your overlays more useful than the maps that have already been published? Can you post an example of an overlay?

Bob

Slot Machine
05-14-2012, 01:52 PM
What is now known as Ringtail now was actually the canyon Steve was referring to.

Cool historical info! Thanks for sharing Scott! :2thumbs:

Redpb
05-14-2012, 02:11 PM
I might be interested. In what way are your overlays more useful than the maps that have already been published? Can you post an example of an overlay?

Bob

Probably, absolutely, no more useful but, I like the look of it. It might give a little more insight to those who haven't done it on what to expect as far as elevation gains/drops.

Here is a few that I've put on. Heaps I think might need a little tweaking. I haven't done that one, so I'm not sure how it goes. But the contours looks good.

Slot Machine
05-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Probably, absolutely, no more useful but, I like the look of it. It might give a little more insight to those who haven't done it on what to expect as far as elevation gains/drops.

Here is a few that I've put on. Heaps I think might need a little tweaking. I haven't done that one, so I'm not sure how it goes. But the contours looks good.

Whoa... nice work! Yeah definately get permission from the publishers. Obviously, that is Shane's map, it's copywritten, he might not be cool with sharing that. :mrgreen:

Cool idea however!

Redpb
05-14-2012, 02:47 PM
I've tried to send Shane two messages but they aren't showing up in my sent box. Hopefully he got them.

Iceaxe
05-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Check you PM's.

FWIW: To get sent PM's to show up in your sent folder:

Settings >> General Settings >> Sent Private Message.

And click the box that says to save a copy.

rurri
05-16-2012, 02:30 PM
I would say they are useful if you can work out an agreement to share them.
The Spry canyon overlay would have saved us quite a bit of time when we went a bit too far in on the approach.

Slot Machine
06-09-2012, 12:06 AM
VERSION 8 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE. :mrgreen:

Bob

Slot Machine
06-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Does anyone know the name of this canyon? It looks like a pain to get to, but based on the surrounding canyons it is probably worth the effort.

N 37 34' 22" W 111 03' 31"

Slot Machine
08-23-2012, 09:44 PM
VERSION 9 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE! :rockon:

Some of my past updates consisted of so-so canyons that were rather boring to collect; this update has a couple of gems. (See the first post of this thread for details.)

Special thanks to one intrepid individual that contributed to this update! :gents:

Bob

TKPH
09-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Speaking of gems, it looks to me like the West Fork of Gem Canyon and the Middle Fork of Gem Canyon, San Rafael Swell, Utah, are reversed.

Am I the only one who gets every canyon name twice?

TKPH

Slot Machine
09-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Speaking of gems, it looks to me like the West Fork of Gem Canyon and the Middle Fork of Gem Canyon, San Rafael Swell, Utah, are reversed.

Am I the only one who gets every canyon name twice?

TKPH

There could be a mixup with the Gem Canyons. Please post the correct locations on this thread, then I will fix them in the next version. Thanks!

If you are seeing the names twice, you probably have the map installed twice on Google Earth. Delete one of them. Send me a PM if this doesn't work.

summitseeker
09-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Amazing! Thanks for the hard work!

Now if we could just link these to a detailed, step-by-step, beta with video tutorials. . .:lol8:

TKPH
09-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Replace lines 6713 through 6743.

OLD:

<Placemark>
<name>Gem Canyon (middle fork)</name>
<LookAt>
<longitude>-111.0355580330981</longitude>
<latitude>38.7221744102253</latitude>
<altitude>0</altitude>
<heading>-1.200332360766247</heading>
<tilt>0</tilt>
<range>2429.068075250994</range>
<gx:altitudeMode>relativeToSeaFloor</gx:altitudeMode>
</LookAt>
<styleUrl>#msn_ylw-pushpin72000</styleUrl>
<Point>
<coordinates>-111.0348895056062,38.72269318719971,0</coordinates>
</Point>
</Placemark>
<Placemark>
<name>Gem Canyon (west fork)</name>
<LookAt>
<longitude>-111.0337931560853</longitude>
<latitude>38.71675068105115</latitude>
<altitude>0</altitude>
<heading>-1.199228647468323</heading>
<tilt>0</tilt>
<range>4496.161773682313</range>
</LookAt>
<Point>
<coordinates>-111.0300079117312,38.7171172630776,0</coordinates>
</Point>
</Placemark>

NEW:

<Placemark>
<LookAt>
<longitude>-111.0337931560853</longitude>
<latitude>38.71675068105115</latitude>
<altitude>0</altitude>
<heading>-1.199228647468323</heading>
<tilt>0</tilt>
<range>4496.161773682313</range>
</LookAt>
<Point>
<coordinates>-111.0300079117312,38.7171172630776,0</coordinates>
</Point>
</Placemark>
<Placemark>
<name>Gem Canyon (west fork)</name>
<LookAt>
<altitude>0</altitude>
<tilt>0</tilt>
<range>2429.068075250994</range>
<gx:altitudeMode>relativeToSeaFloor</gx:altitudeMode>
</LookAt>
<Point>
<coordinates>-111.0348895056062,38.72269318719971,0</coordinates>
</Point>
</Placemark>

Slot Machine
09-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Replace lines 6713 through 6743.

OLD:

<Placemark>
<LookAt>
<altitude>0</altitude>
<tilt>0</tilt> .....

Huh?

Sir, you have mistaken me for a programmer. :haha:

Please fill in the blanks:

Gem Canyon Middle fork is actually here: [ longitude , latitude ]
Gem Canyon West fork is actually here: [ longitude , latitude ]

Slot Machine
11-17-2012, 11:49 PM
VERSION 10 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE!

FWIW, when you Google 'Canyoneering Map', this thread is now the #1 hit, making it convenient to find canyons on your smartphone when you are heading out to the desert (if there is cell coverage, of course). :cool2:
Thanks to those that contributed to this update! :gents:

Bob

hesse15
11-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Wow this map is amazing. I can't wait to get out and try some canyons. Sandthrax sounds like a cool adventure. Good to finally see where the classics like Choprock and Imlay are. Little Wild Horse was soooo much fun, I can't wait to try something a little harder.
this deserve the full range of emoticons (i missed them so much!!!)
:crazy: :angryfire: :eek2::nono::fitz::scared::cold: :facepalm1::crazycobasa::flamer::lame::bueller::ro pe::yousuck::dizzy::chairshot::wedgie::wtf::topes: :toofunny::nono2::hydro::bash::hmm2::facepalm:

i know was a joke but i love to use the emoticons, nothing personal !!!

Slot Machine
02-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Version 11 of The Map is now available!

Special thanks to Prof. Krunkelton for his assistance with this update. :2thumbs:

Bob

Deathcricket
02-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Hey just wanted to say thanks for all the updates man, you rock. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
02-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Awesome :2thumbs: Thanks for all the hard work.

It would be nice if there was a list of the canyons added with each revision. Perhaps when you post the update message to Bogley you could list the new additons.

Also, I just emailed you a truck load of beta you can start adding to Version 12. I didn't want you to get bored. :lol8:

Slot Machine
02-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Awesome :2thumbs: Thanks for all the hard work.

Yeah, no problem! I hope everyone enjoys it!

It would be nice if there was a list of the canyons added with each revision. Perhaps when you post the update message to Bogley you could list the new additons.

Well, with every other version there has been an update list on page 1 of this thread. However, this update was just too big to do that. I'll tell you that I added 110 Grand Canyon waypoints, 5 in Colorado, ~10 in Idaho, a couple in Oregon, maybe 40 in Arizona, and 3 or 4 around Escalante.

Placing waypoints is easy. Organizing them and making them look good (alphabetized, level, centered, due north, at an aesthetically pleasing altitude) takes a lot of time. Open the brand new Grand Canyon folder. Then double click each canyon on the list in any order. Notice how they move nicely from one canyon to the next? That's not automated. Or on accident. This update took me about 10 hours. :phew:

By the time I got to listing them all, they were all mixed in with the other canyons. And I stopped giving a crap. :haha:

Anyway, thanks for the truckload of beta! :2thumbs: I'll start checking it out as soon as I recover! :mrgreen:

Sidebar: I know almost nothing about Grand Canyon or canyoneering in AZ. There might be errors on the map in those areas. If you are from AZ please take a glance and let me know if anything needs to be moved. Thanks.

burnsdye
02-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Hey Slot Machine, Awesome map!

If you create a network link in your kml file then you can update the original and it will automatically be updated for everyone without them having to download it every time there is an update.

An example from my site: http://dyeclan.com/outdooractivities/?view=map

The kml is: http://dyeclan.com/docs/dyeclan.com%20-%20Outdoor%20Activities.kml

Code for kml that people download:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2" xmlns:gx="http://www.google.com/kml/ext/2.2" xmlns:kml="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2" xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
<NetworkLink>
<name>Dye Clan - Outdoor Activities</name>
<visibility>1</visibility>
<open>0</open>
<description>dyeclan.com outdoor activities (this kml will automatically be updated as new locations are added to the site.)
</description>
<Link>
<href>http://dyeclan.com/includes/kmloutdooractivities.php</href>
</Link>
</NetworkLink>
</kml>

You just change the <href> field to point to your kml.

Also, you said that it takes you a lot of time to set the zoom, order, north, and folders for each canyon. This may save you some time:
I put all of my info (name, latitude, longitude, icon type, etc.) into an excel spreadsheet
Then I upload it to a mysql database
Then I run a php script to generate the kml file on the fly (the folders, zoom, icons, pictures, etc. are all created automatically)

If this is something you are interested in, I would be willing to help. I could probably convert your map to this system in 2-3 hours.

Let me know.

Slot Machine
02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Hey Slot Machine, Awesome map!

Thanks for the kind words! I've checked out your site before, it's great! You guys get out a lot!

If this is something you are interested in, I would be willing to help. I could probably convert your map to this system in 2-3 hours.

Let me know.

This is very generous of you. A drunk fourth-grader could outprogram me any day, so I really don't understand how to accomplish what you are suggesting. (picture a chimp sticking pushpins into a map, that's me :lol8:)

However, my buddy is building a website for me, and I'm sure he knows how to accomplish what you are saying.

The part about updating the map on the fly... well, it is a complete mess between updates. Guesses, stuff I'm researching, stuff that needs to be double-checked or moved. It's a sad sight. It probably shouldn't be available to everyone as it is worked on.

However, I'm VERY interested in the spreadsheet idea. I'm sick of organizing the data. 100 canyons? Easy. 800 canyons? Migraine.

Let me get my website fired up and I'll get back to you. Thanks again!:2thumbs:

Bob

Sombeech
03-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Just an update; easy way to get to this map by clicking the box in the sidebar from any Canyoneering thread:

Thanks for the great work on this map!

rockgremlin
03-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Rockgremlin :hail2thechief: Slot Machine

Your creation is quite the creation! :2thumbs:

blamkin86
03-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the update, I love this thing.

Slot Machine
03-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback! And thanks to the people that are contributing to the next update! :2thumbs:

Bob

hesse15
03-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Hi Slot,was nice meeting you and Stephanie last weekend!!!!:nod:

Thanks for the feedback! And thanks to the people that are contributing to the next update! :2thumbs:

Bob

Slot Machine
03-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Hi Slot,was nice meeting you and Stephanie last weekend!!!!:nod:

It was a hoot to meet you too. We learned so much about canyoneering fashion on Saturday! I have to find some of that zebra duct tape. And get some canyoneering bikini tops for Steph. :naughty:

hesse15
03-20-2013, 12:06 PM
It was a hoot to meet you too. We learned so much about canyoneering fashion on Saturday! I have to find some of that zebra duct tape. And get some canyoneering bikini tops for Steph. :naughty:
hei why you did not told me ,I always have spare one and we have the same size with Steph.
they came really handy when you do not have a wetsuit and there are pool of water!!!!
i upload the pictures from sunday onliine but i need an email to send you the invitation to see them in flikr

accadacca
03-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Bikini canyoneering? Post those pictures here in a full TR! :2thumbs:

hesse15
03-21-2013, 01:34 PM
they will come ,i am not in full shape yet to repeat
the old bikini pictures of 7 years ago: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?26146-TR-Upper-Black-Box-(with-pictures!)
but I will do my best!!!
:cool2:

Slot Machine
05-19-2013, 11:05 PM
:peepwall: Version 12 of The Map is now available. :afro:

Special thanks to Vaporman for his help with this update! :2thumbs:

Bob

Steve Hawkins
05-20-2013, 04:34 AM
Slot Machine,

Just wanted to say thanks for putting this together. I am from the east coast and it was helpful in planning my trip to Utah last week. I used the map to see what canyons were close to one another. We ended up doing Long Canyon, Gravel Canyon (full length), Fry, Black Hole, and Leprechaun. The map is very useful.

Slot Machine
05-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for putting this together. I am from the east coast and it was helpful in planning my trip to Utah last week. I used the map to see what canyons were close to one another. We ended up doing Long Canyon, Gravel Canyon (full length), Fry, Black Hole, and Leprechaun. The map is very useful.

Whoa! Sounds like a great trip! I'm stoked that you've found it helpful. Thanks for the kind words!

Bob

Slot Machine
03-23-2014, 09:36 AM
:kickit: Version 13 of The Map is now available. :tunes:

Now bringing you a total of 794 little green markers for your viewing pleasure.

Edit: Messin' Around Slot added to version 13, creating version 13.2.

Iceaxe
03-23-2014, 04:56 PM
:2thumbs:

Sombeech
03-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Excellent work :cool2:

DiscGo
06-05-2014, 06:35 PM
The title to this thread is spot on. Thank you! :2thumbs:

TommyBoy
06-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Anybody else getting a fetch error message when trying to view the map? I've tried viewing it on two different computers and get the error on both.

hikster11
06-06-2014, 02:12 AM
Yes I'm also getting that same error message. I've tried at home and at work and get the same error message.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Slot Machine
06-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Hmmm... Working on it, please stand by.

Slot Machine
06-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Google Earth occasionally has trouble serving up the KML file that makes the map work.

This should resolve in the next few days. Hang in there. :mrgreen:

TommyBoy
06-07-2014, 03:50 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I need my canyon map now!! Must get my fix.

Slot Machine
06-20-2014, 02:56 PM
The Map is now functional. Enjoy!

Slot Machine
12-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Version 14.1 is now available. I've added about 100 canyons to the Death Valley area.

The list of new Death Valley canyons is here: http://ropewiki.com/index.php/Scott_Swaney%27s_Death_Valley_Canyoneering_Explora tion

I'm going to add some more canyons to The Map next week (Bluu Gnome, New Mexico). If there is anything you feel is missing, let me know. Peakbaggers, I'll post up the stuff you sent me, I haven't forgotten.

Does anyone know the coordinates for the SGR slot in Moab?

Rob L
12-14-2014, 04:50 PM
SGR is PIR, AIU. TMN, BTB, or GWS who has BTB.

:eek2:

YMMV or IMN.

Slot Machine
12-14-2014, 06:55 PM
I found SGR. Thanks for the alphabet soup Rob L, and for offering to help Mr M.

Doug Scott
12-15-2014, 09:54 AM
New Mexico is a little weak on this map... but it doesn't need to be... this NMex Slot Canyon Website is brand new and already has 53 entries: http://www.dougscottart.com/hobbies/SlotCanyons.htm ...the snow is slowing us down but we're still exploring weekly and finding new ones....

Don
12-16-2014, 12:44 PM
It's too big for Google Maps? I admit I haven't used the new My Maps in Google Maps very much, but I just tried to import this kml and I'm not sure Google is importing the whole file. Below is a screen grab of the message from Google. How many layers/features does this map have? How do I know I got the whole thing imported?

Don
12-16-2014, 12:46 PM
A couple more screen shots of the map after the message.

Don
12-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Actually, after messing around with it a minute or two I'm pretty certain that it did not import everything. I deselected the out-of-utah layers and started looking around; I don't see North Wash canyons, Swell Canyons, Canyonlands Canyons, Zion Canyons, or Moab Canyons. Another screen shot with all Utah layers selected:

Don
12-16-2014, 12:59 PM
I deleted the map in Google Maps, then re-imported it. Same problem. (Am I doing something wrong?)

Edit: Imported it to the BackCountry Navigator Pro app on my phone. It looks beautiful there. Has 807 waypoints in the app (still not sure how to get Google My Maps to tell me how many waypoints imported).

Edit II: I got the same "That's a big file!" message when I tried to import Shaggy's map (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?24878-Google-Earth-Place-Markers-for-Canyons-and-Hikes).

Edit III: Google My Maps gives the option to import by uploading from the local drive or import from a file in Google Drive. I tried to import from Google Drive and still got the same "That's a big file!" message and incomplete import.

Kuya
12-16-2014, 03:11 PM
I deleted the map in Google Maps, then re-imported it. Same problem. (Am I doing something wrong?)

Edit: Imported it to the BackCountry Navigator Pro app on my phone. It looks beautiful there. Has 807 waypoints in the app (still not sure how to get Google My Maps to tell me how many waypoints imported).

Edit II: I got the same "That's a big file!" message when I tried to import Shaggy's map (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?24878-Google-Earth-Place-Markers-for-Canyons-and-Hikes).

Edit III: Google My Maps gives the option to import by uploading from the local drive or import from a file in Google Drive. I tried to import from Google Drive and still got the same "That's a big file!" message and incomplete import.

I don't think Google Maps will hold all the data for that large of a KML file. Might want to just use Google Earth. If you must have it in Google Maps, you could save the layers seperate From Google Earth and them upload them to Google Maps. Just a thought...

jman
12-16-2014, 03:17 PM
I don't think Google Maps will hold all the data for that large of a KML file. Might want to just use Google Earth. If you must have it in Google Maps, you could save the layers seperate From Google Earth and them upload them to Google Maps. Just a thought...

Yea, that would probably be best, but a pain...until Google supports larger kml files.

Basically, you would have a Moab.kml, Zion.kml, escalante.kml, secret canyons.kml, tell-but-dont-show-canyons.kml... etc.

Don
12-16-2014, 03:20 PM
I was afraid of that. Lame that I have plenty of space in Google Drive but can't use the file in Google maps.
Maps works best for playing around with maps at work. ;)

Kuya
12-16-2014, 04:55 PM
I was afraid of that. Lame that I have plenty of space in Google Drive but can't use the file in Google maps.
Maps works best for playing around with maps at work. ;)

Maybe try something like CalTopo. I just uploaded the KML to my Caltopo maps and it worked without any problem.

deagol
12-17-2014, 01:25 PM
I found SGR. Thanks for the alphabet soup Rob L, and for offering to help Mr M.

I still don't see it on the KML. Am I missing something ??

qedcook
12-17-2014, 02:55 PM
I still don't see it on the KML. Am I missing something ??

You'll probably have to wait until "Slot Machine" has the next version of the map ready. Slot Machine found the coordinates, but hasn't uploaded a new version of the kml file with it in there.

levifackrell
08-07-2015, 12:12 PM
http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.php?object_type=9&object_name_0=&object_name_1=&object_name_2=&object_name_3=&object_name_4=&object_name_5=&object_name_6=&object_name_7=&object_name_8=&object_name_9=&object_name_10=&object_name_11=&object_name_12=&object_name_13=&object_name_14=&object_name_15=&search_select_0=name_only&map_0=&continent_0=All&country_0=All&state_province_0=All&within_last_0=All&sort_select_0=object_name&order_type_0=DESC&search_select_1=name_only&map_1=&continent_1=All&country_1=All&state_province_1=All&activities_1=All&distance_1=Any&distance_type_1=Miles&distance_city_1=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_1=Latitude&distance_lon_1=Longitude&within_last_1=All&sort_select_1=object_name&order_type_1=DESC&search_select_2=name_only&map_2=&continent_2=All&country_2=All&state_province_2=All&route_type_2=All&low_rock_difficulty_2=All&high_rock_difficulty_2=All&low_grade_2=All&high_grade_2=All&distance_2=Any&distance_type_2=Miles&distance_city_2=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_2=Latitude&distance_lon_2=Longitude&within_last_2=All&sort_select_2=object_name&order_type_2=DESC&map_3=&tags_3=All&distance_3=Any&distance_type_3=Miles&distance_city_3=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_3=Latitude&distance_lon_3=Longitude&within_last_3=All&sort_select_3=score&order_type_3=DESC&search_select_4=name_only&map_4=&continent_4=All&country_4=All&state_province_4=All&activities_4=All&distance_4=Any&distance_type_4=Miles&distance_city_4=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_4=Latitude&distance_lon_4=Longitude&within_last_4=All&sort_select_4=object_name&order_type_4=DESC&search_select_5=name_only&map_5=1&continent_5=All&country_5=All&state_province_5=All&distance_5=100&distance_type_5=Miles&distance_city_5=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_5=32.84000&distance_lon_5=-113.91000&within_last_5=All&sort_select_5=object_name&order_type_5=DESC&search_select_6=name_only&map_6=&within_last_6=All&sort_select_6=object_name&order_type_6=DESC&search_select_7=name_only&map_7=&tags_7=All&within_last_7=All&sort_select_7=object_name&order_type_7=DESC&search_select_8=name_only&map_8=&continent_8=All&country_8=All&state_province_8=All&distance_8=Any&distance_type_8=Miles&distance_city_8=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_8=Latitude&distance_lon_8=Longitude&within_last_8=All&sort_select_8=object_name&order_type_8=DESC&search_select_9=name_only&map_9=&continent_9=All&country_9=All&state_province_9=All&activities_9=Canyoneering&seasons_9=All&distance_9=Any&distance_type_9=Miles&distance_city_9=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_9=Latitude&distance_lon_9=Longitude&within_last_9=All&sort_select_9=object_name&order_type_9=DESC&search_select_10=name_only&map_10=&continent_10=All&country_10=All&state_province_10=All&activities_10=All&seasons_10=All&distance_10=Any&distance_type_10=Miles&distance_city_10=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_10=Latitude&distance_lon_10=Longitude&within_last_10=All&sort_select_10=object_name&order_type_10=DESC&search_select_11=name_only&map_11=&within_last_11=All&sort_select_11=object_name&order_type_11=DESC&search_select_12=name_only&map_12=&continent_12=All&country_12=All&state_province_12=All&within_last_12=All&sort_select_12=object_name&order_type_12=DESC&search_select_13=name_only&map_13=&continent_13=All&country_13=All&state_province_13=All&distance_13=Any&distance_type_13=Miles&distance_city_13=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_13=Latitude&distance_lon_13=Longitude&within_last_13=All&sort_select_13=object_name&order_type_13=DESC&search_select_14=name_only&map_14=&continent_14=All&country_14=All&state_province_14=All&distance_14=Any&distance_type_14=Miles&distance_city_14=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_14=Latitude&distance_lon_14=Longitude&within_last_14=All&sort_select_14=object_name&order_type_14=DESC&search_select_15=name_only&map_15=&continent_15=All&country_15=All&state_province_15=All&within_last_15=All&sort_select_15=object_name&order_type_15=DESC&submit_query=+Go+

thats a long URL... summit post has some that are missing look under canyons,routes,trailheads from your map also roadtripryan has some ex. Canyoneering Upper Three Fingers Canyon - San Rafael SwellCanyoneering Box Canyon - Maple Canyon

Slot Machine
08-07-2015, 01:37 PM
http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.php?object_type=9&object_name_0=&object_name_1=&object_name_2=&object_name_3=&object_name_4=&object_name_5=&object_name_6=&object_name_7=&object_name_8=&object_name_9=&object_name_10=&object_name_11=&object_name_12=&object_name_13=&object_name_14=&object_name_15=&search_select_0=name_only&map_0=&continent_0=All&country_0=All&state_province_0=All&within_last_0=All&sort_select_0=object_name&order_type_0=DESC&search_select_1=name_only&map_1=&continent_1=All&country_1=All&state_province_1=All&activities_1=All&distance_1=Any&distance_type_1=Miles&distance_city_1=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_1=Latitude&distance_lon_1=Longitude&within_last_1=All&sort_select_1=object_name&order_type_1=DESC&search_select_2=name_only&map_2=&continent_2=All&country_2=All&state_province_2=All&route_type_2=All&low_rock_difficulty_2=All&high_rock_difficulty_2=All&low_grade_2=All&high_grade_2=All&distance_2=Any&distance_type_2=Miles&distance_city_2=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_2=Latitude&distance_lon_2=Longitude&within_last_2=All&sort_select_2=object_name&order_type_2=DESC&map_3=&tags_3=All&distance_3=Any&distance_type_3=Miles&distance_city_3=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_3=Latitude&distance_lon_3=Longitude&within_last_3=All&sort_select_3=score&order_type_3=DESC&search_select_4=name_only&map_4=&continent_4=All&country_4=All&state_province_4=All&activities_4=All&distance_4=Any&distance_type_4=Miles&distance_city_4=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_4=Latitude&distance_lon_4=Longitude&within_last_4=All&sort_select_4=object_name&order_type_4=DESC&search_select_5=name_only&map_5=1&continent_5=All&country_5=All&state_province_5=All&distance_5=100&distance_type_5=Miles&distance_city_5=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_5=32.84000&distance_lon_5=-113.91000&within_last_5=All&sort_select_5=object_name&order_type_5=DESC&search_select_6=name_only&map_6=&within_last_6=All&sort_select_6=object_name&order_type_6=DESC&search_select_7=name_only&map_7=&tags_7=All&within_last_7=All&sort_select_7=object_name&order_type_7=DESC&search_select_8=name_only&map_8=&continent_8=All&country_8=All&state_province_8=All&distance_8=Any&distance_type_8=Miles&distance_city_8=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_8=Latitude&distance_lon_8=Longitude&within_last_8=All&sort_select_8=object_name&order_type_8=DESC&search_select_9=name_only&map_9=&continent_9=All&country_9=All&state_province_9=All&activities_9=Canyoneering&seasons_9=All&distance_9=Any&distance_type_9=Miles&distance_city_9=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_9=Latitude&distance_lon_9=Longitude&within_last_9=All&sort_select_9=object_name&order_type_9=DESC&search_select_10=name_only&map_10=&continent_10=All&country_10=All&state_province_10=All&activities_10=All&seasons_10=All&distance_10=Any&distance_type_10=Miles&distance_city_10=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_10=Latitude&distance_lon_10=Longitude&within_last_10=All&sort_select_10=object_name&order_type_10=DESC&search_select_11=name_only&map_11=&within_last_11=All&sort_select_11=object_name&order_type_11=DESC&search_select_12=name_only&map_12=&continent_12=All&country_12=All&state_province_12=All&within_last_12=All&sort_select_12=object_name&order_type_12=DESC&search_select_13=name_only&map_13=&continent_13=All&country_13=All&state_province_13=All&distance_13=Any&distance_type_13=Miles&distance_city_13=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_13=Latitude&distance_lon_13=Longitude&within_last_13=All&sort_select_13=object_name&order_type_13=DESC&search_select_14=name_only&map_14=&continent_14=All&country_14=All&state_province_14=All&distance_14=Any&distance_type_14=Miles&distance_city_14=City%2C+State+or+US+Zip&distance_lat_14=Latitude&distance_lon_14=Longitude&within_last_14=All&sort_select_14=object_name&order_type_14=DESC&search_select_15=name_only&map_15=&continent_15=All&country_15=All&state_province_15=All&within_last_15=All&sort_select_15=object_name&order_type_15=DESC&submit_query=+Go+

thats a long URL... summit post has some that are missing look under canyons,routes,trailheads from your map also roadtripryan has some ex. Canyoneering Upper Three Fingers Canyon - San Rafael SwellCanyoneering Box Canyon - Maple Canyon

If you would like to add some canyons to the map (and I appreciate the kind folks that do), please do it like this:

1. Levi canyon (GPS coords, Degrees Minutes Seconds)
2. Fackrell canyon (GPS coords)
3. Helmetless canyon (GPS coords)

OR;

Send me a KML map of the canyons that need to be added (with no extra canyons or duplicate canyons please).

That way I don't waste my time or lose any more marbles. :mrgreen:

Thank you.

Slot Machine
12-07-2015, 06:39 PM
:cool2: VERSION 15 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE :cool2:

Special thanks to @levifackrell (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=20798) and the @peakbaggers (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=18863) for their contributions to this version. :2thumbs:

WHAT'S NEW?

SGR Slot
Trough Canyon
Quarry Canyon
Scar Tissue Canyon
Three Fingers Canyon
Maple Canyon
Offshore Canyon
Pearson Canyon
Devil’s Drain Canyon
Keyhole Canyon (Nevada)
Motorcycle Canyon
Upper Greasewood Draw
Lupacchiotta Canyon

I've also adjusted how some of the Lake Powell canyons are labeled; closed/restricted status for a few canyons has been updated, some of the larger drainages have been labeled, and several guesses have been removed.

Enjoy!

DiscGo
06-10-2016, 09:44 PM
Thank you again for this!

Slot Machine
06-11-2016, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the kind words DiscGo ! I'm glad that you like it. :mrgreen:

Slot Machine
07-19-2016, 11:12 PM
:cool2:VERSION 16 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE :cool2:

WHAT'S NEW?

Aardvark Canyon – North and South Forks
Arch Nemesis
Happy Ending
Upper Slot of West Canyon
Big Horn Canyon (Escalante)
Midget Rattler
Big Rattlesnake Canyon
Five for the Drive
Six Appeal
Fixed Big Tony / Sleepy Hollow labeling
Observation Point Canyon
Dos Bolsas Cajones
Eastern Sun

I've also deleted a few superfluous markers and tightened up the placement of several others.

Enjoy!

ratagonia
07-20-2016, 10:14 AM
by Rattlesnake Canyon, do you mean BIG Rattlesnake Canyon?

T

Slot Machine
07-20-2016, 10:32 AM
by Rattlesnake Canyon, do you mean BIG Rattlesnake Canyon?

Yes. Fixed!

scottensign
09-30-2016, 09:56 AM
wow, this map is awesome, thanks so much. I imported the kml file into basecamp, reexported as gpx and now have all these coordinates in basecamp and on my etrex30. very cool. I wonder how long it will take me to do all these :nod:

dakotabelliston
09-30-2016, 12:08 PM
This map is insane !!! There are enough canyons on here to keep ones self busy for a lifetime !!!

Joseph
12-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Glad to see the canyon map is still going strong. I am the developer of Gmap4 which is an enhanced Google map viewer that is displaying the map.

I noticed on the first page of the thread it says:
"Click on the 't1 Terrain' tab in the upper right hand corner, scroll down to 'Earth' and click that. There will be a prompt that asks you to install a small plug-in. Install the plug-in. Google Earth will then appear with all the labeled markers."

Since Google has removed that plug-in, I recommend that the above text be deleted. Note that Gmap4 no longer has a choice for "Earth" under the basemap button.

Joseph

Slot Machine
12-27-2016, 02:12 PM
Glad to see the canyon map is still going strong. I am the developer of Gmap4 which is an enhanced Google map viewer that is displaying the map.

I noticed on the first page of the thread it says:
"Click on the 't1 Terrain' tab in the upper right hand corner, scroll down to 'Earth' and click that. There will be a prompt that asks you to install a small plug-in. Install the plug-in. Google Earth will then appear with all the labeled markers."

Since Google has removed that plug-in, I recommend that the above text be deleted. Note that Gmap4 no longer has a choice for "Earth" under the basemap button.

Joseph
@Joseph (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=18707) ,

Thanks for the update. I will be sure to fix that. :2thumbs:

Since you've stopped by, I've gotta give credit where credit is due- your software has added a lot to this project. Did you know that this thread has generated more traffic than any other thread in the canyoneering world (even the crappy forums where you have to click twice to see what you are looking for)? Part of the reason is that your software works great on desktops AND portable devices.

SO, THANK YOU FOR CREATING SUCH DAMN GOOD SOFTWARE! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! :gents:

-Bob

TommyBoy
03-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Got an updated coordinate for the drop in on DDI. The head of the canyon is about 100' up canyon from my point, but there's nothing interesting except a hard to anchor drop that can't? be downclimbed. This coordinate is right on the tree that you rappel in at and since the route finding there is a little tricky this one is a little better than the one you have.

N37° 26' 21.8" W111° 03' 48.9"

Slot Machine
03-20-2017, 09:15 PM
Got an updated coordinate for the drop in on DDI. The head of the canyon is about 100' up canyon from my point, but there's nothing interesting except a hard to anchor drop that can't? be downclimbed. This coordinate is right on the tree that you rappel in at and since the route finding there is a little tricky this one is a little better than the one you have.

N37° 26' 21.8" W111° 03' 48.9"

Thanks Tom, I'll update that on the next version. Plus I'll add BFS. Plus I'll change Scorpion West to SOS.

What does a guy have to do to get an SOS trip report around here?? :mrgreen:

TommyBoy
03-20-2017, 11:44 PM
What does a guy have to do to get an SOS trip report around here?? :mrgreen:

Aaron wants to do the write up on SOS and since I was invited along on their trip I thought it would be polite to wait.

Slot Machine
04-17-2017, 06:05 PM
:cool2:VERSION 16.3 OF THE MAP IS NOW AVAILABLE :cool2:

What's new?

Lion
Tiger
Lynx
Ocelot
Sabertooth
Bobcat
Leopard
Cheetah
Porcupine

I've also added some canyons to Ouray and fixed some canyons around Escalante. Enjoy!

Bootboy
04-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Several of these canyons have already been published with the original names, Prior to your trip. Perhaps you should update the map to reflect those names.

Upper West slots

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=57692&share_tid=24596&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcanyoncollective%2Ecom%2Findex%2E php%3Fthreads%2FUpper-West-slots%2E24596%2F&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slot Machine
04-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Several of these canyons have already been published with the original names, Prior to your trip. Perhaps you should update the map to reflect those names.

Nah.

http://replygif.net/i/1099.gif

lucach
04-19-2017, 10:24 AM
I am happy to see that the new Super Amazing Map now includes some of the canyons I opened myself and published on Ropewiki.com: Mist Falls, Tanner Creek, Whakeena Creek, etc.

When Ropewiki gets a location from Super Amazing Map it always provides credit to SAM (see http://ropewiki.com/Lynx for example). It would be nice to see SAM reciprocate and give crediit for the locations it gets out of Ropewiki.com, if at all possible. Especially since for some canyons, like Tanner, it's critical to have information on what is a reasonable flow and where the traverse is or you may die trying to run it.

It would be even better if some day we could join efforts... SAM and Ropewiki. Ropewiki is a collaborative platform based on Wikipedia software where anyone can contribute as equals and information gets published immediately. There are great contributors from Arizona, Colorado, California, Oregon and Washington publishing new canyons every month. I wish we had some super contributor from Utah too.

Scott P
04-19-2017, 11:08 AM
Nah.

Why not?:ne_nau:

Slot Machine
04-19-2017, 05:30 PM
I am happy to see that the new Super Amazing Map now includes some of the canyons I opened myself and published on Ropewiki.com (http://ropewiki.com/): Mist Falls, Tanner Creek, Whakeena Creek, etc.

I’m happy that you are happy, lucach . I’m very impressed at what you have done with Ropewiki. When we discussed the site a few years ago, I was certain that the complexity of the site would doom it to failure (you can’t have everything on one site, right??). Man, was I wrong! It is turning out to be a fabulous creation and it seems to get better every time I stop by.

When Ropewiki gets a location from Super Amazing Map it always provides credit to SAM (see http://ropewiki.com/Lynx for example). It would be nice to see SAM reciprocate and give credit for the locations it gets out of Ropewiki.com (http://ropewiki.com/), if at all possible.

I appreciate that you give me credit. I will do my best to give credit in my update summary in the future. On the map itself, I do not link the points to any beta source because those things would need to be updated, something I refuse to do. The Map is a simple tool designed for one purpose– to get a general idea of which canyons are in each area.

Especially since for some canyons, like Tanner, it's critical to have information on what is a reasonable flow and where the traverse is or you may die trying to run it.

Agreed. But that is what Google is for, not what my map is for.

It would be even better if some day we could join efforts... SAM and Ropewiki. Ropewiki is a collaborative platform based on Wikipedia software where anyone can contribute as equals and information gets published immediately.

I don’t really want to delve too deep into the beta publishing side of canyoneering. However, I will swing by from time to time and pitch in. There are a couple of very good beta writers in Utah, I’m just not one of them.

Again, congratulations on the success of Ropewiki. I’m looking forward to your future creations.

Bob

WalkingMan
04-23-2017, 08:43 PM
Nah.

You seem awfully threatened by someone stealing your thunder. You didn't explore or publish them first.

Be careful Bob, your character is showing.

Iceaxe
04-23-2017, 09:41 PM

Upper West slots

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=57692&share_tid=24596&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcanyoncollective%2Ecom%2Findex%2E php%3Fthreads%2FUpper-West-slots%2E24596%2F&share_type=t

If I'm following the naming of the West Canyons correctly and understanding the correct timelines of posting, the 'original' names were only published AFTER Bob outed the canyons under his publicly betaed names.

The post you reference is dated 4-10-2017. Bob posted a TR to these canyon on 4-18-2016. Or perhaps I missed something as I don't follow all the cayoneering forums that closely.

In my book the first to actually publicly explore and beta the canyon gets the honors of naming the canyon.

You don't get to have it both ways, you can keep the canyon secret and understand your contributions will probably get lost to history or you can publicly beta the canyon and bask in the accolade and shunning that goes with it. Pick your poison.

YMMV

Bootboy
04-23-2017, 10:05 PM
The canyons mentioned above were published before bobs most recent trip.

Others were fist published by bob last year and the original names came to light afterward.

I've guess I've agreed to disagree with bob on this subject but I can still ask politely for him to make a concession.

Iceaxe
04-23-2017, 10:23 PM
Please point me to the earlier public beta on the routes (before 2016) and I'll happily agree with you? If not, this is a reap what you sow type of deal.

FWIW - All the Powell Canyons were descended long before 'canyoneering' was a 'sport'. I once spent some time with one of the original survey crews for Lake Powell and they had some great canyoneering stories ( they just called it work). The entire shoreline of Lake Powell had to be surveyed before the damn could be built.

We're I'm going with this is one person's claim to fame holds little value if it's not documented.... or as my pappy always told me.... if it's not written down it didn't happen.

Bootboy
04-23-2017, 10:39 PM
http://canyoncollective.com/threads/upper-west-slots.24596/

Iceaxe
04-23-2017, 10:41 PM
http://canyoncollective.com/threads/upper-west-slots.24596/

That link is dated 4-10-2017. So it's a year late. Try again....

We're looking for first to publicly beta, not crybaby whining after the fact.

Bootboy
04-23-2017, 10:45 PM
Shane, you're not paying attention. The canyons posted in the link were published BEFORE bobs trip ended THIS year and he had a chance to publish them.

Indeed after his descents but BEFORE his publication.

Just a little consistency. Not whining

I'm out

Iceaxe
04-23-2017, 10:49 PM
All I can go by is what I can research, you keep pointing me to a post from last week.

So what am I missing?

Scott P
04-23-2017, 11:17 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight, but the one labeled Lion has definitely been published before. It is in many books/websites dating back more than two decades.

Slot Machine
04-23-2017, 11:31 PM
Dudes.

I made up the names in 2015.

We did three of them in 2016, Lion, Tiger and Cheetah.

I did not know them by any other names, and didn't even realize that Kelsey used a particular name for Lion (I thought he used a generic name, and it sort of is). I like Lion better, so I use Lion.

This year we did a bunch of them, April 1st - April 9th. Again, the new ones we did not know by any other names. I still don't, because I haven't read whatever you guys are freaking out about (because I don't care). It was a pretty awesome trip, and we used our names countless times, so I will forever know them by those names.

Feel free to call them whatever you like. Don't matter to me.

What does matter to me? Having fun. If you were having more fun than us, THEN I'd be concerned.

Scott P
04-23-2017, 11:47 PM
I did not know them by any other names, and didn't even realize that Kelsey used a particular name for Lion (I thought he used a generic name, and it sort of is). I like Lion better, so I use Lion.

There are two previously used names for the slot. Kelsey calls it Upper West Canyon Slot. The Navajos call it Nashdoi. Kelsey's name goes back to the early 1990's, but the Navajo name is much older than that. Nashdoi is labeled on the 7.5 minute map, but most canyoneers just call it the Upper West Canyon Slot because it is easier to pronounce (Nashdoi's full name is actually Nashdoi Tii Yiyiisxini). (At the time Kelsey used the metric maps).

The canyon has been published in at least 11 books and many websites, dating back to at least 1988.

For the Navajo name, here is the screen shot of the 7.5 quad:

Scott P
04-24-2017, 08:11 AM
edit-see below

TommyBoy
04-24-2017, 08:14 AM
All I can go by is what I can research, you keep pointing me to a post from last week.

So what am I missing?
Iceaxe Just to clarify whats being said is the Bob went on a trip last year and he posted the ones he calls Lion, Tiger, and Cheetah, and you are correct, those routes have never been publicly betaed under any other name although Bob is aware of them. The link in question posted 4-10-17 is of three canyons that we didn't do last year, we did them this year and the post is from before he published them.

Iceaxe
04-24-2017, 08:39 AM
@Iceaxe (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=36) Just to clarify whats being said is the Bob went on a trip last year and he posted the ones he calls Lion, Tiger, and Cheetah, and you are correct, those routes have never been publicly betaed under any other name although Bob is aware of them. The link in question posted 4-10-17 is of three canyons that we didn't do last year, we did them this year and the post is from before he published them.

Thanks for the cheat sheet for those of us trying to play along at home. :2thumbs:

Jolly Green
04-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Here's a quick and handy reference for those playing along at home and all those who have been to upper West before (so you know what canyon is being referred to):

Porcupine- Hall of Horrors
Cheetah- Happy Ending
Lynx- not previously explored
Leopard- Amnesia
Tiger- Arch Rival
Lion- Upper West Narrows
Ocelot- Humble Beginnings
Sabertooth- Cosmar (Romanian for "nightmare")
Bobcat- Full House

I will also post this list on the Upper West beta thread for reference.

Iceaxe
04-24-2017, 06:05 PM
I don't care what name you use, that looks like an awesome canyoneering buffet.

twotimer
04-24-2017, 07:18 PM
The Navajos call it Nashdoi.

Well this is interesting! I've been all over West Canyon over the years on backpack trips, mostly over Cummings Mesa and a few from the lake. Done the slot twice, 2000 and 2003. Mike told me there was a keeper in there but both times it was tippy top full.

We always assumed that that Navajo name was for a very large pothole that is a few hundred yards up canyon from where the slot begins...sheep could get to it. It never occurred to us that they named the slot.

We found an exit from West directly across from the entry from the Mesa...where you see "hogan" on the map. That was a nine night backpack from Rainbow Bridge to Kaibito Creek. There's also an old sheep trail along the cliffs of Cummings Mesa that bypasses the narrows...but who'd wanna do that? The sheep, I reckon...

Scott P
04-24-2017, 08:59 PM
We always assumed that that Navajo name was for a very large pothole that is a few hundred yards up canyon from where the slot begins...sheep could get to it. It never occurred to us that they named the slot.

That is also possible. I always thought it was the name of the slot, but it could certainly be the pothole.

Now, in a strange turn of events; after some more digging, I found that the true meaning of the word Nashdoi is actually bobcat.:shock:

See the source below:

https://glosbe.com/en/nv/wildcat

Apparently tii can also mean route or path, so the part of the name on the map "Nashdoi Tii" might translate to "Route of the Bobcat" or "Bobcat Route". I couldn't find anything on Yiyiisxini. Tii's with the apostrophe and "s" means water or cottonwood, so that is another possibility for tii if the word was meant to have an apostrophe. "Bobcat Water" is yet another possibility.

It appears that Bob (Slot Machine) was actually onto something; he just chose the wrong cat for the wrong canyon.

Personally, I'd suggest moving the name Bobcat Route (or Nashdoi-the Navajo word for bobcat) to the Upper Slot as it might even be accurate (even if it does refer to the pothole at the slot head).

I don't think anyone could object to having the upper slot named Bobcat since that might actually be the true name for the slot (though I like the Navajo word Nashdoi), or at least the closest officially named landmark.

twotimer
04-24-2017, 09:22 PM
It appears that Bob (Slot Machine) was actually onto something; he just chose the wrong cat for the wrong canyon.

Personally, I'd suggest moving the name Bobcat Route (or Nashdoi-the Navajo word for bobcat) to the Upper Slot as it might even be accurate (even if it does refer to the pothole at the slot head).What a trip, huh? This reminds me of Carl Jung's Synchronicity Theory.

Perhaps Bob has done a hell of a lot more research than he's letting on, eh? What a wild coincidence otherwise!

Slot Machine
04-24-2017, 11:14 PM
Personally, I'd suggest moving the name Bobcat Route (or Nashdoi-the Navajo word for bobcat) to the Upper Slot as it might even be accurate (even if it does refer to the pothole at the slot head).

If you want a map change, then you are going to have to get in line behind all of the other people. :lol8:

It would probably be faster to just make a new map thread and call them whatever you like. :roflol:

That is a cool tidbit about Nashodi, something I wasn't aware of.

Slot Machine
04-24-2017, 11:31 PM
We found an exit from West directly across from the entry from the Mesa...where you see "hogan" on the map. That was a nine night backpack from Rainbow Bridge to Kaibito Creek. There's also an old sheep trail along the cliffs of Cummings Mesa that bypasses the narrows...but who'd wanna do that? The sheep, I reckon...

That is a pretty nice exit. We used that one a bunch.

The sheep trail is pretty awesome, makes for quick travel. Maaaan, the views up there are to die for!

ratagonia
04-25-2017, 02:39 PM
Apparently tii can also mean route or path, so the part of the name on the map "Nashdoi Tii" might translate to "Route of the Bobcat" or "Bobcat Route". I couldn't find anything on Yiyiisxini. Tii's with the apostrophe and "s" means water or cottonwood, so that is another possibility for tii if the word was meant to have an apostrophe. "Bobcat Water" is yet another possibility.

The USGS, the folks who printed the map, go a long way out of their way to avoid apostrophes. Angels Landing. Mollies Nipple. etc. So the tii is likely a mis-typing of tii's.

Tom

Scott P
04-25-2017, 02:55 PM
The USGS, the folks who printed the map, go a long way out of their way to avoid apostrophes.

Yes, the USGS doesn't use apostrophes at all.

twotimer
04-26-2017, 06:00 PM
For Slotmachine...

hank moon
07-18-2017, 05:18 PM
FWIW - All the Powell Canyons were descended long before 'canyoneering' was a 'sport'.

Ha ha...nice clickbait. :-)

Iceaxe
07-18-2017, 06:08 PM
Ha ha...nice clickbait. :-)Think about this, the entire shoreline of the reservoir had to be surveyed before Glen Canyon Dam could be built.

I've talked to many of the original survey crews and they have some incredible 'canyoneering' stories to tell, except they just call them 'work' stories.

Anyhoo... It's interesting to ponder.

hank moon
07-18-2017, 06:18 PM
Think about this, the entire shoreline of the reservoir had to be surveyed before Glen Canyon Dam could be built.

Sure, but the slot action nowadays is above the shoreline. No doubt there was some amazing exploration done during the survey, and equally certain that most of the tougher slots were not fully explored until relatively recently.

Iceaxe
07-18-2017, 07:52 PM
Yeah you're right, none of the hard slots were done before the "Great Ones" (tm) discovered canyoneering on Lake Powell. And I'm sure the lake only covered all the easy slots and no hard slots.

***Shakes head as he slowly kicks a can down the road***

hank moon
07-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Yeah you're right, none of the hard slots were done before the "Great Ones" (tm) discovered canyoneering on Lake Powell. And I'm sure the lake only covered all the easy slots and no hard slots.

***Shakes head as he slowly kicks a can down the road***

<sigh> i'm just a sucker for your clickbait :-)

Joseph
05-11-2018, 05:12 AM
Thanks to Bob for using Gmap4 (I am the developer) for the his super amazing map. Alas, last week Google announced a major price increase for all maps that use the Google Map API (Application Program Interface). This includes Gmap4 and other popular browser-based map apps. Each time a map is opened, the API code is downloaded from Google’s servers to the user’s browser.

The bottom line is that come June 11 Gmap4 will likely stop working for everyone but clients of the property line mapping service that I provide. Sorry for the bad news.

Currently Google allows a map to be opened 25,000 times per day for free. After that the map stops working until the next day when the map gets another allocation of 25,000 daily API downloads. If the pay wall is hit the map developer has the option of buying more API downloads to keep the map going that same day.

Starting June 11th the amount of free API downloads is being slashed from 25,000/day to 28,000/month. On average the new limit is roughly 900/day. Additional API downloads can be purchased at the rate of $7 per 1,000.

In the last 30 days Gmap4 downloaded the Google map API about 220,000 times. Under the new scheme that would have cost me ~$1,300.

Last year during the California wildland fires Google became aware of my wildland fire map which had hit their 25,000/day pay wall. Google contacted me with the cheery news they were raising my API allocation to 250,000/day. Later that API allocation was raised to 1,000,000/day where it remains as I type.

Under the new policies Google will grant more API downloads for disaster maps but the tone of their documentation indicates they have really tightened this up. Plus Gmap4 is used for a mixture of disaster/recreation/education/etc maps.

I will apply under the new policies for more API downloads based on the disaster mapping I do but I fully expect the Gmap4 we know today is going away. On the other hand, I have always wanted to learn the open source Leaflet map API.

Joseph Elfelt