PDA

View Full Version : Music Trivia Contest

Jammer
02-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Hey All --

I did some more work on my trivia website and recently added a "name that tune" section. So, I thought it was fine time to have some people test it out, so I posted this on Facebook and thought I would pass it on to you guys too:

To celebrate the Grammys, check out this week's contest on my trivia site. Play "Listen Up!" to see how well you know pop music -- everything from Debbie Harry to Katy Perry.

The top score by 2/16 will win a $10 Amazon Gift Card!

www.junkino.com (http://www.junkino.com)
Try it out if you guys get a chance. I hope you have fun... and let me know if you spot any problems.

- Jamal

bbennett
02-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Coolest game ever! Thanks for the time killer and another addiction.

jdgibney
02-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Once again thank you for killing any thoughts of productivity for my day :) Great stuff, j!

blueeyes
02-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Once again thank you for killing any thoughts of productivity for my day :) Great stuff, j!

X2

Love it!

jdgibney
02-12-2012, 02:15 PM
So here's what I've concluded: Anything after 1999, I'm terrible with, I have a hard time telling the difference between REO Speedwagon/Chicago and Air Supply, and if it makes my ears bleed, its Katy Perry

bbennett
02-12-2012, 07:34 PM
A coworker and I tag teamed that thing for about 2 hours yesterday and still fell short of Udink. We both decided that we hate his guts. Oh, and who in the hell is Mumford and Sons?

jdgibney
02-12-2012, 08:35 PM
A coworker and I tag teamed that thing for about 2 hours yesterday and still fell short of Udink. We both decided that we hate his guts. Oh, and who in the hell is Mumford and Sons?
bluegrass, folk, rock band from London. They're decent, they've exploded in the last year or so
http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xd8tOAJMA8Q

Udink
02-13-2012, 09:28 AM
A coworker and I tag teamed that thing for about 2 hours yesterday and still fell short of Udink. We both decided that we hate his guts.
:roflol: Hah, if it wasn't for Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, et al, I think I'd be doing even better. :lol8:

blueeyes
02-13-2012, 09:36 AM

Mumford and Sons is a great band!

Anything football related is killing me. And why so much on Natalie Portman. :ne_nau:

jdgibney
02-13-2012, 10:22 AM
:roflol: Hah, if it wasn't for Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, et al, I think I'd be doing even better. :lol8:
Me too, bud. Thanks for letting me hold the lead for a few minutes last night :haha:

Jammer
02-13-2012, 11:23 AM
You guys continue to impress me -- I really didn't think the scores would go that high with such a variety of music.

According to the stats so far...

The hardest songs/artists to recognize:
- The Fray "How to Save a Life"
- Nelly Furtado "Promiscuous"
- Chicago "Love Me Tomorrow"
- Supertramp "Breakfast in America"
- Re-Flex "The Politics of Dancing"

The easiest songs to ID:
- Billy Joel "Piano Man"
- Billy Squire "The Stroke"
- Aerosmith "Love in an Elevator"
- Hall & Oates "Kiss on My List"
- Foreigner "Hot Blooded"

BTW -- I'm really sorry if you experience any difficulties. I've had a few reports of buffering problems and a "undefined" problem where the question doesn't load. That's why I love people testing and I hope to get this stuff fixed asap!

Thanks for playing!

- Jamal

jdgibney
02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks for putting it together, Jamal!

blueeyes
02-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks for putting it together, Jamal!
X2

jdgibney
02-13-2012, 01:55 PM
aaaaaaaaaand thanks Dennis for putting the top spot out of reach so I can stop putting off my work for the day :fitz:

Udink
02-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Sorry, I had some time to kill on my lunch break. :cool2: While I was at it, I finally grabbed the top spot in the Sudden Death/Everything category. :mrgreen:

bbennett
02-13-2012, 04:59 PM
bluegrass, folk, rock band from London. They're decent, they've exploded in the last year or so
http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xd8tOAJMA8Q

Oh yeah, I've heard those guys! I don't know that I've ever heard the name though. Thanks for the link :2thumbs:

jdgibney
02-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Sorry, I had some time to kill on my lunch break. :cool2: While I was at it, I finally grabbed the top spot in the Sudden Death/Everything category. :mrgreen:

I saw that! Why don't you kick my dog while you're at it? :haha: good stuff, man!

Deathcricket
02-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Ugh. I cannot tell the difference between REO Speedwagan, Air Supply, Chicago, Boston, Journey, and foreigner. Gets me every single time! :lol8:

I was however able to set the bar pretty high in the picture category. Nice little website ya got there man.

Jammer
02-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Glad you guys are having fun. I have some family members who are pretty bummed about seeing their records fall!

BTW -- I fixed one issue with Listen Up! and buffering. Not sure it's 100% -- but in general it should wait for the song to start before starting the timer. There might still be some hiccups when bandwidth is tight, but it should be better. Hope it helps.

Thanks,
- Jamal

jdgibney
02-14-2012, 10:00 AM

Gave you something to work on today :stud:

Jammer
02-16-2012, 09:32 AM
BTW -- Today is the last day for the contest for Listen Up! on www.Junkino.com (http://www.Junkino.com). The top scores seem pretty impossible to beat, but... I never really thought people would even score 5,000 points and now there are 8 different users above that level! JoshGib and Udink more than double that!

Contest ends at 9pm Pacific. And... if planning an eBay-type, last-minute rush on the game remember two things.... 1) score must be timestamped on 2/16 and 2) my server may not hold up in which case all bets are off! :)

Thanks for playing.

- Jamal

jdgibney
02-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Domination, Udink!

Udink
02-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Man, the Prince questions were killing me for a while there! That was a lot of fun, though. Thanks Jammer! :nod: Hey, there's still a little time left to beat me. :lol8:

Jammer
02-16-2012, 09:20 PM
That's it... Udink is the winner! :clap: (Watch your email for your prize.)

BTW -- That score is ridiculous! 120 questions in a row! What song finally got you? Or, did you just take a fall feeling secure with the 20K+ score?

Thanks again for all who played -- it definitely gave me some good data.

- Jamal

Udink
02-16-2012, 09:24 PM
I actually got one of those glitches where the question and all four answers were "undefined." But I can't complain, with that score I wasn't too worried about getting beaten. Before that, I had a huge streak of like 40 questions where I knew most of them immediately and got the 200 bonus points each time.

jdgibney
02-17-2012, 05:51 AM
I actually got one of those glitches where the question and all four answers were "undefined." But I can't complain, with that score I wasn't too worried about getting beaten. Before that, I had a huge streak of like 40 questions where I knew most of them immediately and got the 200 bonus points each time.
I got in one of those grooves after getting over 10k, I can't remember what tripped me up, but good show, man!

Deathcricket
02-17-2012, 08:00 AM

Gratz Dude! You are now in my mind the Michael Jordon of music trivia. That bar is so stinking high!

Jammer
02-17-2012, 12:30 PM
I actually got one of those glitches where the question and all four answers were "undefined."

Ah man... it pains me that that is how you went down. That is such a crazy problem which has been so hard to track down as it happens so infrequently and I can't re-produce on my own. BUT... knowing that's how your game ended it helped me track down a possible solution. So... here's to no more "undefined" showstoppers! (I hope!)

BTW -- the occasional "picture not loading" problem should be solved too now with a better pre-loader.

Next up... the multi-player/smartphone app!

Thanks,
- Jamal