PDA

View Full Version : Pine Creek Conditions

burley
02-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Anyone know specific conditions of Pine Creek, or general conditions in Zion?

A buddy and I are planning on it this weekend but have never done Pine Creek nor winter canyon swims. All I can find on previous posts suggests it will be very cold, but not sure of current water depths etc. (I'll have a drysuit and he'll grab a thick wetsuit at ZAC--good idea or dry a must?).

Any current info or past experience doing Pine Creek in the winter is appreciated!

ratagonia
02-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Anyone know specific conditions of Pine Creek, or general conditions in Zion?

A buddy and I are planning on it this weekend but have never done Pine Creek nor winter canyon swims. All I can find on previous posts suggests it will be very cold, but not sure of current water depths etc. (I'll have a drysuit and he'll grab a thick wetsuit at ZAC--good idea or dry a must?).

Any current info or past experience doing Pine Creek in the winter is appreciated!

Haven't been IN, but drove past today. There is snow in Zion in all but south-facing aspects, and the cold has maintained, so I think there is minimal flow, but might be a trickle. If it warms up, that could change quickly. Lots of snow on the rocks in the creekbed, and below the raps might be agonizingly slow.

When I have done it in winter (2X), and I suspect conditions similar to this March trip: http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0703zion/index.htm

With the extended dry period, it might have dried out. With the bit of snow and rain, it might have filled up again... :facepalm1:

Was that helpful? :crazy:

Tom

tcott
02-02-2012, 09:29 AM
I've been down in the winter a couple times. Our groups have always had wetsuits and been fine, I think the wet hands were the only painfully cold part. As long as you keep moving you should stay warm enough.

burley
02-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the info. I'd have to agree the cold hands were the only painful part. Trip report forthcoming...