PDA

View Full Version : Running Stretches

Sun Dance
01-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Just curious as to others' stretching routine. I usually stretch quads, hams, and calves for 30 sec each before and 1 min each after the run. Sometimes if I'm feeling ambitious I'll do a butterfly groin stretch and a cross-legged gluteus stretch.

Any pointers on type, duration, order of stretches? What about when it's cold and you don't want to stand outside your car stretching? Is it okay to do your stretches at home in the warm and then drive ten minutes to the trailhead? Most will be 3-7 mile trail runs with ~1000' elevation gain.

DOSS
02-01-2012, 05:33 AM
I don't believe in stretching before a run (http://healthland.time.com/2011/02/18/skip-the-stretch-before-running-%E2%80%94-it-doesnt-prevent-injuries/) its all about a slow warmup, walk for a mile first then run, it is about the same amount of time I do all of my stretching post run as part of my cool-down.. I would change your cool down stretches to be at least 30 seconds on each stretch X2.

jman
02-01-2012, 06:59 AM
I don't believe in stretching before a run (http://healthland.time.com/2011/02/18/skip-the-stretch-before-running-%E2%80%94-it-doesnt-prevent-injuries/) its all about a slow warmup, walk for a mile first then run, it is about the same amount of time I do all of my stretching post run as part of my cool-down.. I would change your cool down stretches to be at least 30 seconds on each stretch X2.

My sister is a personal trainer and said that stretching when you first start running for that day is like throwing cold water on a warm engine.

The most efficient way like DOSS said was a slow walk, she says.

Then when you are done exercising, stretching is vital to muscle strength and integrity.

trackrunner
02-01-2012, 07:51 AM
when I was competing at university I'd do about a mile light warm up with some dynamic stretching as part of the run. then an nearly complete static stretching routine of the body, then run, then stretch after the cool down.

lately I've been doing dynamic stretching to warm up the muscle and then static stretch only needed areas, lately that has been the calf.

Sun Dance
02-01-2012, 08:00 AM
What do you mean by dynamic vs. static stretching?

trackrunner
02-01-2012, 08:10 AM
http://tinyurl.com/6wxdpze
don't believe all that anti fad propaganda BS against static right now. both have beneficial aspects that are different from the other. I find that one compliments what the other lacks

Sun Dance
02-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks. I prefer lmgtfy.com. :)

trackrunner
02-01-2012, 11:11 AM
when I was competing at university I'd do about a mile light warm up with some dynamic stretching as part of the run. then an nearly complete static stretching routine of the body, then run, then stretch after the cool down.

lately I've been doing dynamic stretching to warm up the muscle and then static stretch only needed areas, lately that has been the calf.

to expand on this if I was into serious competitive running, like a national championship prelims again, I would be doing a lot more stretching. right now i'm just running to get back in shape (lose that 15lbs from the holidays :fitz:), and building up for some long adventure run's on my bucket list. hence the light stretching, but maybe I should stretch some more my calfs are tight. YMMV

tysongoesbarefoot
06-13-2012, 07:33 AM
I agree with them! avoid stretching before running. There is a lot of research that suggests that stretching is unnecessary and can actually lead to more injury.

fokin
11-06-2014, 02:45 AM
i used to do stretching once in every two week but i do it in my room with warm environment.. stretching outside in cold can cause muscle pull and other injuries