PDA

View Full Version : LWH Mystery solved

Iceaxe
01-17-2012, 12:31 PM
In 1992 an intriguing article concerning a flash flood in Little Wild Horse Canyon began floating around. The problem was the author of the excellent article was unknown.

Flash Flood - Little Wild Horse Canyon
http://climb-utah.com/SRS/flashflood.htm

For years I've searched for the author of the article and today I discovered it was written by Joelle Dickson. I also tracked the history of the article. The article originally was given to the rangers at Goblin Valley State Park and it was posted on a chain that was erected to close off the wash to vehicles shortly after the incident.

For those only familiar with the current LWH trailhead it might be interesting to know that at one time there was no trailhead, no kiosk, no restroom and no parking. Visitors would just drive up the wash a short distance and park.

Sun Dance
01-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Cool. That's a classic. Who is this guy? Well-known?

Sandstone Addiction
01-17-2012, 01:27 PM
I had that story in the back of my mind as we parked there last September.

Kinda shocked to see the road paved and improved parking.

Thanks for updating this story.

Sun Dance
01-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Paved!?!? Are you serious? Not ten years ago the road south to Goblin Valley wasn't even paved. Guess they got sick of 2wds getting stuck in the sand at Chute/Crack. :eek:

Iceaxe
01-17-2012, 02:11 PM
FWIW: Joelle Dickson is a woman and a casual hiker along with her husband as far as I know.

Something else of interest.... Justin Harris, the owner of the Isuzu Trooper in the photo's is the same Justin Harris in this epic...

Baptist Draw Accident
(http://climb-utah.com/SRS/baptist1)
That dude just did not have the best of luck when it came to the San Rafael Swell....

Sandstone Addiction
01-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Paved!?!? Are you serious? Not ten years ago the road south to Goblin Valley wasn't even paved. Guess they got sick of 2wds getting stuck in the sand at Chute/Crack. :eek:

Sunday drive at a leisurly 45 mph. :haha:

ratagonia
01-17-2012, 04:50 PM
That dude just did not have the best of luck when it came to the San Rafael Swell....

Might not be a matter of luck...

:crazy: :moses: