PDA

View Full Version : Red Man Pictograph of Timpie Valley

Iceaxe
01-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Anyone know where this pictograph is?

Red Man Pictograph of Timpie Valley (http://cedarandsand.blogspot.com/2012/01/found-red-man-pictograph-of-timpie.html)

Its located in northern Utah at the north end of the Stansbury range.

The Red Man pictograph in all her glory. Weapon, shield, head dress, and standing at over three feet high.

The entrance to the Red Man cave. The cave walls are Paleozoic limestone.

DOSS
01-12-2012, 05:40 AM
Pretty sure I do based on the other pic in the link, as long as it wasn't posted to throw people off the actual location... 50479

Iceaxe
01-12-2012, 07:58 AM
One other item I found a little odd in his description that might help. He listed Erda as 18 miles away, most people would say 15 or 20, unless they had measured a true distance for a route description to share with friends.

zzyzx
01-13-2012, 04:38 AM
nice...
thx for sharing.

xjblue
01-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Very interesting. I was out there two days before he posted the find because I came across one of his previous searches right after learning about it. I only did a short hike before sundown after checking out Stansbury Island for the first time, and thought boy it is going to be a very tough one to find.

Iceaxe
02-03-2012, 11:29 AM
This one has my interest, mainly because its close enough to home I can visit in an afternoon. Anyone have more information they care to share?

Iceaxe
03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Bump.... I'm still looking.... anyone care to point me in a direction?

I'm thinking this page is a great clue as it documents where the guy was looking before he found the actual cave.
http://cedarandsand.blogspot.com/2011/02/out-and-about-near-tooele.html

And if you read the blog about the find it mentions he had stood on top of the cave on a previous trip before he actually looked inside and found Red Man.

FYI The picture below was taken about here: N40 41' 55", W112 35' 30" (WGS84), which I know from other material is pretty close to where Red Man is located.

Deadeye008
03-05-2012, 12:46 PM
And if you read the blog about the find it mentions he had stood on top of the cave on a previous trip before he actually looked inside and found Red Man.

Actually, his blog says that his brother had stood on top of it while he was searching, not him. I think I'm gonna have to plan a trip out this way and see if I can find anything. I'll report back when I do.

Iceaxe
03-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Maybe we should pick a day and hold a Bogley pictograph hunt for this bad boy....

Old Jeeper
03-05-2012, 03:15 PM
What I did is go out there and found the spot shown in post #2. The rest is easy.

Iceaxe
03-05-2012, 03:24 PM
What I did is go out there and found the spot shown in post #2. The rest is easy.

When did you go? I was out there 2 weeks ago and everything was snowy and muddy...

Old Jeeper
03-05-2012, 03:27 PM
When did you go? I was out there 2 weeks ago and everything was snowy and muddy...

One week ago. It was dry then.

trackrunner
03-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Bump.... I'm still looking.... anyone care to point me in a direction?

time for a field trip. let's go!

Iceaxe
03-07-2012, 12:48 PM
time for a field trip. let's go!

I'm thinking of heading out this weekend if the weather is nice and anyone wants to go. I have the waypoint to a couple other rock art sites in the same area that I want to check out. I just want to make sure it's not a mud bog like last time I was out there looking for some of the waypoints I have.

trackrunner
03-09-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm thinking of heading out this weekend if the weather is nice and anyone wants to go. I have the waypoint to a couple other rock art sites in the same area that I want to check out. I just want to make sure it's not a mud bog like last time I was out there looking for some of the waypoints I have.

I've got a couple use it or loose it ski passes on saturday. now if someone wants to buy those I'd be free

Iceaxe
03-10-2012, 06:03 PM

I think your yanking my chain about the rest being easy... :nod:

We spent all day Saturday searching Timpie Valley and finally discovered the "false road" in post #2. Of course we searched up every road in the valley before driving up the correct one very last.

That's a big mountain to search above the false road. I hiked to the top zig-zag and never found the correct cave. I did find anther cave that had obviously been lived in by native Americans long ago. The best part about that cave is it appears no one has disturbed it by digging.

The roads were muddy again and it took $9 at the local car wash to blow all the mud off my truck. I'm sure the car wash owner will be happy to see that in the morning. :lol8:

We were also a bit hampered as all the north facing slopes had snow and were difficult to hike.

So if anyone wants to point me in a direction or elevation from the false road that would be appriciated.... or if anyone wants to go back out with me and hunt again for the correct cave let me know. I at least have the correct starting point nailed down now.

:popcorn:

Old Jeeper
03-12-2012, 09:18 AM
:oops:
Sounds like the snow tripped you up. It is on a north face.
I went out to find Story Rock yesterday then stopped back here afterwards. I probably parked in the same spot you did and checked out a cave just to the north. Then I climbed up to the 4800 foot bench of Lake Bonneville and followed it south to a point just above the Redman cave and dropped down to it. The snow had melted off enough but I had to stay on the rocks as much as possible because of the mud.
It would be 2 weeks before I could go out again.

Iceaxe
03-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Sounds like you found the second cave, it is maybe 200 yards north of the false road and maybe 75 feet higher elevation wise.

I also need to take binoculars next time. I lost most my eyesight in my left eye last year and it makes scanning hillsides looking for small caves a little difficult.

:2thumbs:

Old Jeeper
03-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Yep, that's the one.

Weird. I also have lost my sight in my left eye. But it was a long time ago and I've adapted. I used a 10x monocular to scan the hillsides before I hiked up. Maybe thats why I thought it was easy to find.

Iceaxe
03-26-2012, 03:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0RVkqxplIM

oldno7
03-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Bout' time you found this. I was beginning to think I was going to have to head North and help.

Iceaxe
03-27-2012, 10:16 AM
3rd time (and a little help) was the charm.

Old Jeeper
03-27-2012, 03:56 PM
:hail2thechief::roflol:

hermmit
02-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Thought I would give this one a try Sunday 02/24 / found it ! Thanks

phatch
02-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Was it muddy? I was thinking I'd let the mountainside dry up some more to minmize the soil damage before I go.

hermmit
03-01-2014, 05:56 PM
I know these are older post and I guess most have found the pit. I went to see if I could find it went right to it! the climb was the hardest part!