PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying a Few Canyons...

jon.moab
01-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Can anyone help identify these canyons in the Powell area?

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/05/powell-2011.html

ratagonia
01-08-2012, 09:35 AM

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/05/powell-2011.html

Yes, but they won't. Agreements in place, which people will hopefully honor.

Canyons off Powell tend to be very serious, difficult and dangerous, and requiring specific tools to safely pass. I suggest exploring only with the "A" Team, and with extreme caution.

Tom :moses:

restrac2000
01-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Hadn't seen that website before. Gorgeous shots and explorations. Fun to peruse the different albums and see old acquaintances.

Looking at those shots makes me realizes how much further people are pushing down-climbing nowadays.

Phillip

jon.moab
01-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Are there any non-secret canyons that drop into the lake? Also, who are members of this elusive "A Team"?

restrac2000
01-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Kelsey:
http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Canyon-Guide-Colorado-Plateau/dp/094451023X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326049850&sr=1-3

A few other out in the webosphere.

Deathcricket
01-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Hey jon check your PM's bro, I have a little bit of info that can help you out. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
01-08-2012, 11:36 AM

Some of the pictures are tributaries of Navajo Canyon, a couple could be from tributaries of Labyrinth Canyon.

Here is a good thread to check out if you are looking for Lake Powell Beta

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?36896

:cool2:

Scott P
01-08-2012, 03:52 PM
I recognize the waterfall, but I believe the canyons in that area are illegal to visit without special permission.

Are there any non-secret canyons that drop into the lake?

Plenty. Clearwater, Black Hole, Sevenmile, East Fork Sevenmile, Davis Gulch, etc, etc.

jon.moab
01-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Thank you for the info. I have some reasearch to do....

Iceaxe
01-08-2012, 05:31 PM
I recognize the waterfall, but I believe the canyons in that area are illegal to visit without special permission.

With a couple of exceptions, most the canyons in that area just require a Navajo hiking permit to be legal. I'll post the info for obtaining a Navajo permit tomorrow as the info is on my work computer.

When doing the canyons from the lake I've never seen anther soul, let alone anyone checking for permits.... YMMV...

shaggy125
01-08-2012, 05:34 PM
I guess I should chime in since it's my blog he's referring to. As Tom says "agreements are in place," and I've promised not to go broadbanding beta to everyone on the internet about all the canyons I've done on Lake Powell so I apologize. Maybe I shouldn't post photos online of canyons I'm not willing to broadband beta on? I kinda feel like a douche when someone asks and I tell them no. It may be better to just keep those photos to myself? I will admit the blog is mainly for me, to show family members and friends photos from my various adventures. I keep it public in case strangers are interested in looking at the photos.

Shane is right, some of the pictures are tributaries of Navajo Canyon (special permission was obtained), others are tributaries of Warm Springs Canyon (which are in Kelseys book), none are tributaries of Labyrinth although there might be good slots coming into Labyrinth? Do you have access to a boat jon.moab? Maybe we could do some canyons together sometime (I don't do canyons NEARLY as much as I used to, but hope to do a few more this year than last) and talk about possibilities of assembling an "A-Team," to hit the lake. :mrgreen:

Iceaxe
01-08-2012, 05:56 PM
none are tributaries of Labyrinth although there might be good slots coming into Labyrinth?

Navajo, Labyrinth and Face are all similar (in terms of side slots) and all have great tributary slots entering the main drainages. I don't think I've ever explored anything in those drainages that was not worth while.

CarpeyBiggs
01-08-2012, 08:02 PM
I don't think I've ever explored anything in those drainages.
FTFY.

:haha:

Iceaxe
01-09-2012, 09:12 AM
FTFY.

:haha:

:roll:

We explored Navajo and Face Canyon when you were still shitting in your diapers.... but of course you wouldn't understand because the word "canyoneer" had yet to be coined.

:cool2:

Iceaxe
01-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Here is the information on obtaining a Navajo Permit.

Scott Card
01-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Very cool blog entry. Great photos by RAM :2thumbs:

CarpeyBiggs
01-09-2012, 09:33 AM
We explored Navajo and Face Canyon when you were still shitting in your diapers.... but of course you wouldn't understand because the word "canyoneer" had yet to be coined.

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv322/aladrew/YOU-MAD-BRO.jpg

are you saying you've done technical canyons in those drainages? i've got some money just burning a hole in my pocket to buy that beta from you. (well, not really... but you get the point.)

when will you release it? 30 years is a long time to sit on such gems... :lol8:

as a side note, the term "canyoneer" had been coined by John Wesley Powell's men, close to 100 years before even YOU had a chance to shit in diapers. but of course you wouldn't understand because your myopic version of canyon history seems to start with shane, and end with burrows.

:bandit:

ratagonia
01-09-2012, 10:39 AM
... close to 100 years before even YOU had a chance to shit in diapers. but of course you wouldn't understand because your myopic version of canyon history seems to start with shane, and end with burrows.

:bandit:

Carpey, Carpey... It's 2012. A year of sweetness and light. Even towards Shane.

He chose his words carefully - respect that!

Someone's Carpin' mi Lord, Kumbaya...

:moses:

jon.moab
01-09-2012, 12:51 PM
I guess I should chime in since it's my blog he's referring to. As Tom says "agreements are in place," and I've promised not to go broadbanding beta to everyone on the internet about all the canyons I've done on Lake Powell so I apologize. Maybe I shouldn't post photos online of canyons I'm not willing to broadband beta on? I kinda feel like a douche when someone asks and I tell them no. It may be better to just keep those photos to myself? I will admit the blog is mainly for me, to show family members and friends photos from my various adventures. I keep it public in case strangers are interested in looking at the photos.

Shane is right, some of the pictures are tributaries of Navajo Canyon (special permission was obtained), others are tributaries of Warm Springs Canyon (which are in Kelseys book), none are tributaries of Labyrinth although there might be good slots coming into Labyrinth? Do you have access to a boat jon.moab? Maybe we could do some canyons together sometime (I don't do canyons NEARLY as much as I used to, but hope to do a few more this year than last) and talk about possibilities of assembling an "A-Team," to hit the lake. :mrgreen:

I do have access to a boat and would love to plan a trip. On a side note, I think you work with a good friend of mine, Eric M....

canyoncaver
01-09-2012, 01:39 PM
"A year of sweetness and light."

I like that. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
01-09-2012, 02:37 PM
I do have access to a boat

The boat is always the difficult part about doing Lake Powell Canyons.... if you have a boat it would be very easy to assemble your own "A-team", as you will have a long line of exeprianced canyoneers willing to tag along.

Brian in SLC
01-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Carpey, Carpey... It's 2012. A year of sweetness and light. Even towards Shane.
He chose his words carefully - respect that!
Someone's Carping mi Lord, Kumbaya...

Kumbaya, ya sonsabitches!

Scott P
01-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Here is the information on obtaining a Navajo Permit.

That one won't work for anything draining into Navajo Creek. Access to Navajo Creek is strictly banned unless you get special permission (which speaking from experience seems very hard to get). Same with anything draining into Kaibito.

Outside this two drainages though, it's pretty easy to get a Navajo permit.

Even though it is official banned getting to lower Kaibito is sometimes possible to obtain permission to visit, but it can still be somewhat difficult.

Iceaxe
01-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Access to Navajo Creek is strictly banned unless you get special permission (which speaking from experience seems very hard to get).

Can you point me to anywhere this is in writing? just curious...

And the easiest way to get permission is get yourself a Navajo :mrgreen:

And I'm being serious when I say that.... We have a close family friend who explored a lot of the Lake Powell Canyons with us and he never worried about permits or permission, he always said we could go where ever we wanted if we were with him and no one would bother us....

I also know anther gentleman the mentors at-risk Navajo youth... kind of his own private hoods-in-the-woods deal.... and that position has allowed him to explore many of the 'closed' areas.

Scott P
01-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by Scott Phttp://www.bogley.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?p=484195#post484195)
Access to Navajo Creek is strictly banned unless you get
special permission (which speaking from experience seems very hard to
get).

Orginally posted by Iceaxe
Can you point me to anywhere this is in writing? just curious...

Yes. It's been closed since at least 1995 ("recently" on the website is somewhat a stretch).

From the Navajo Parks & Recreation website:

http://www.navajonationparks.org/permits.htm

AREAS CLOSED TO HIKING
Recently, the Kaibeto Chapter community has
prohibited hiking and camping in the entire area of Upper Kaibeto, Navajo
Canyon, Choal Canyon, (Kaibeto Creek), Peach Wash, and Butterfly Canyon. Also,
the area around the Inscription House community and Tsegi Canyon, (Dowozhiebeto
and Long Canyons) are closed. These Closures are due to trespassing across
residential areas, NO PERMITS, DISTRUBING LIVESTOCK, LITTERING, AND THE
POSSIBLE DISTRUBANCE OF FRAGILE ARCHAEOLOGICAL RUINS

Also,

SPECIAL NOTE
TO ALL VISITORS AND TOURISTS
All areas on the Navajo Nation are closed to non-Navajos unless you have a valid camping, hiking
or backcountry permit issued by the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department or
other duly delegated tribal authority. Failure to have a permit is considered
Trespassing on a Federal Indian Reservation.

Iceaxe
01-10-2012, 08:52 AM

That website is much more informative now than last time I visited.

CarpeyBiggs
01-10-2012, 09:08 AM
from another post about navajo nation permits, and probably relevant - http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?54578-Poaching-permitted-or-closed-canyons

Reedus
01-10-2012, 01:26 PM

eric,
Long time no see man! Ive since moved to AZ and miss the good ole days. Hit me up when you guys wanna do a powell trip again and maybe we can gets Petes houseboat and hit a few of the "secret canyons"