PDA

View Full Version : Sandthrax Buffoonery

xxnitsuaxx
01-04-2012, 09:07 AM
I don't know if anyone else has posted this, but I thought it was too entertaining not too share.

http://awclimbingadventures.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/the-epic-sandthrax-debacle/

I've gotten too cocky going into canyons and climbs before but I think this story trumps anything I've experienced.

Scott Card
01-04-2012, 09:26 AM
:facepalm1:

tcott
01-04-2012, 10:38 AM
That sounds horrible.

Iceaxe
01-04-2012, 10:48 AM
I can certainly identify with the over confident and underestimating.....

.......Great story :2thumbs:

trackrunner
01-04-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't know if anyone else has posted this, but I thought it was too entertaining not too share.

yes it's been posted before, but well worth the read again. thanks for the reminder :2thumbs:

thread from price about his friends epic
http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?39298-Sandthrax-submission

spinesnaper
01-04-2012, 11:17 PM
I remember that thread. It contained this classic statement by Shane:

"I really believe there are only two types of canyoneers in the world..... Those that have spent a night in a forced bivy.... and.... those who are going to spend a night in a forced bivy....."

I just hope when I do my forced bivy as an overweight "middle aged" person, I am smart enough to have more gear with me than those boys.:bootyshake:

Still 5.10c in sneakers when it counts-got to like that.

Ken

ratagonia
01-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Still 5.10c in sneakers when it counts-got to like that.

Ken

I don't like that. Lucky to have survived. Much safer and easier to complete the canyon. Not all that hard from that point out, certainly not 5.10, or I'd still be in there. Perhaps bringing a rope for the raps MIGHT have been a good idea.

Yahweh protects children and fools - overlap here.

Tom

Iceaxe
01-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Much safer and easier to complete the canyon. Not all that hard from that point out,

Their story sounds a lot like our first attempt.... I tell everyone we really didn't get stuck, we just ran out of daylight, at which point we just wanted to get the hell out of the slot. We also would have been much better off just finishing the slot instead of climbing straight out. But when you are in the slot you have no clue how much longer, and when you look straight up you at least know where the finish line is and how much time, skill and effort it is going to take to extract your ass.

:cool2:

ratagonia
01-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Their story sounds a lot like our first attempt.... I tell everyone we really didn't get stuck, we just ran out of daylight, at which point we just wanted to get the hell out of the slot. We also would have been much better off just finishing the slot instead of climbing straight out. But when you are in the slot you have no clue how much longer, and when you look straight up you at least know where the finish line is and how much time, skill and effort it is going to take to extract your ass.

:cool2:

Seems like for you guys, it might of also been better to go back to the beginning, and engineer an escape there.

Of course, hindsight is 20-15; functioning in combat conditions is entirely different.

If I had a point, it was that there are several injuries where people tried to 'escape' the canyon, when finishing it off would have been easier and WAY safer.

Tom :moses:

xxnitsuaxx
01-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I should probably point out that my use of the word "buffoonery" refers to the definition "Behavior that is ridiculous but amusing" and not "stupid behavior". The title of the post was meant to convey amusement and not condescension. Lord knows I've engaged in plenty of buffoonery before.

Calmadrenaline
01-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks XXnitsua for clarifying that, I saw a spike in traffic and wondered where it was coming from, evidently here! Like I said, lots of lessons learned!

Iceaxe
01-05-2012, 04:19 PM
I saw a spike in traffic and wondered where it was coming from, evidently here! Like I said, lots of lessons learned!

Welcome to Bogley. :2thumbs:

Thanks for taking the time to write up your epic.

spinesnaper
01-05-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't like that. Lucky to have survived. Much safer and easier to complete the canyon. Not all that hard from that point out, certainly not 5.10, or I'd still be in there. Perhaps bringing a rope for the raps MIGHT have been a good idea.

Tom

I admit the guilty pleasure of reading the story. I am going to take your word about conditions in Santhrax. Unless I accidentally fall from a plane into the place, I have no plans to test my metal in there. The metal just isn't as hard as it once was (OK, perhaps it was never that hard).:haha:

Ken

Calmadrenaline
01-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Id just like to clear up a few things,

A. I have edited the TR to exclude that Tom is a nutjob, I dont know him personally and have never met him, therefore have no basis for saying that. This started as a personal blog post, but now it is far from it, that particular sentiment stemmed from the personal feeling of myself and a close few others that many of the canyons he had rated were beefed up. The function of that was mainly to hi-light our over confidence, not to take a shot at Tom. I dont necessarily call myself a canyoneer as climbing is my main focus so what do I know.

B. The vast canyoneering public being middle aged and overweight line: Well you all kind of ar.....:bootyshake: kidding. That line was also meant only to hi-light our arrogance and over confidence which we know was present, not to take a shot at any of you.

C. This was almost two years ago and one of the only close-to-getting-really-nasty epics I have had and the only one in a canyon, Ive had a few forced bivys, and too many expected ones to count in my climbing career thus far, I think that just means Im out there getting after it, nature happens, days are only so long, and objectives are objectives even when things dont quite go according to plan. I really like that quote spinesnaper posted as well "I really believe there are only two types of canyoneers in the world..... Those that have spent a night in a forced bivy.... and.... those who are going to spend a night in a forced bivy....."

D. We will be returning this spring to clean up our webbing, I dont rock "protect wild utah" stickers on my car cause it looks cool. You may ask why we havent done it yet since it has been almost two years.. well, its a relatively low traffic canyon, Im not usually in the area, and, well its not going to be an easy task. Oh, and convincing someone to go as braiden my partner for the epic has sworn never to return!

Cheers,

-Adam

ratagonia
01-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Thank you Adam.

B. The vast canyoneering public being middle aged and overweight line: Well you all kind of ar.....:bootyshake: kidding. That line was also meant only to hi-light our arrogance and over confidence which we know was present, not to take a shot at any of you.

But, really Adam, the funny thing is that quite a bit of the canyoneering A Team IS both silverback and a tad soft around the middle. But as you point out, on occasion, we can still get it done. A case where experience and cunning perform better than youth and ambition. Then again, the ambitious youth that also have cunning and experience can do some amazing things!

C. ... I've had a few forced bivys, and too many expected ones to count in my climbing career thus far, I think that just means I'm out there getting after it, nature happens, days are only so long, and objectives are objectives even when things dont quite go according to plan. I really like that quote spinesnaper posted as well "I really believe there are only two types of canyoneers in the world..... Those that have spent a night in a forced bivy.... and.... those who are going to spend a night in a forced bivy....."

I feel it my duty to keep Mr. Ram's honor intact - our ONLY unplanned canyon bivy together (and Ram's ONLY unplanned bivy EVER), while perhaps close to equally our faults (at best), was karmically definitely mine to own. Mr. Ram has an almost Beckeyish tally of days out, yet has only the one unplanned bivy, with me; while through my modest climbing career I was, at least among my friends, the king of the unplanned bivy. Including a particularly frustrating night on the Great White Icicle. Canyoneering, somewhat better - I have only the Psycho Damage and a non-technical canyon bivy in Cedar Mesa due to over-trustfulness of my new GPS unit. Knock on wood.

D. We will be returning this spring to clean up our webbing, I dont rock "protect wild utah" stickers on my car cause it looks cool. You may ask why we havent done it yet since it has been almost two years.. well, its a relatively low traffic canyon, Im not usually in the area, and, well its not going to be an easy task. Oh, and convincing someone to go as braiden my partner for the epic has sworn never to return!

Good on ya - thanks. Tom :moses:

penmartens
01-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Our group tried removing the webbing when we were there. Jason's massive arms wouldn't allow him into the crack. My puny little arms weren't long enough. I think perhaps a coat hanger can be used to reach in and grab it.
I wouldn't worry about going in just to retrieve webbing. It is not noticeable until you are standing at the bottom of the crux. I am planning to be back in there in the spring, I will be happy to get it for you. Do you want it back? Perhaps, Braiden would like it for the "What were we thinking?" wall.
We removed a pair of bright green sun glasses from the 'infamous' chockstones. We left the dried apricots.
Penny

Deathcricket
01-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Id just like to clear up a few things,

A. I have edited the TR to exclude that Tom is a nutjob, I dont know him personally and have never met him, therefore have no basis for saying that. This started as a personal blog post, but now it is far from it, that particular sentiment stemmed from the personal feeling of myself and a close few others that many of the canyons he had rated were beefed up. The function of that was mainly to hi-light our over confidence, not to take a shot at Tom. I dont necessarily call myself a canyoneer as climbing is my main focus so what do I know.

C. This was almost two years ago and one of the only close-to-getting-really-nasty epics I have had and the only one in a canyon, Ive had a few forced bivys, and too many expected ones to count in my climbing career thus far, I think that just means Im out there getting after it, nature happens, days are only so long, and objectives are objectives even when things dont quite go according to plan. I really like that quote spinesnaper posted as well "I really believe there are only two types of canyoneers in the world..... Those that have spent a night in a forced bivy.... and.... those who are going to spend a night in a forced bivy....."

Cheers,

-Adam

Welcome to Bogley. Your post makes me sad though. You posted an awesome story and we all enjoyed reading it. I think you should have let it stand as is. Now I see you back pedaling and trying to apologize or something. This is not needed in any way. We've all made slight mistakes over the years that have resulted in stuff like this and no one is judging you. And if they are, then screw them..... Gotta push the envelope every once in a while and live a bit, some people don't understand that. I think xxnitsuaxx (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?17968-xxnitsuaxx) said it best, we are laughing with you, not at you. And Tom's book is completely inaccurate sometimes, I find Iceaxe's info more reliable personally. but they are general guides and not gospel, simply proceed with caution. But being a rock climber I'm sure you've noticed how you can solve a crux easier than your friends, and they can probably solve certain ones you can't. Our bodies are all built differently and that is to be expected and rejoiced in. So a canyon can be rated differently depending on different skillsets. I can't tell you how many times our climbing group has said to one member "How did you get up that, you are smoking crack and insane!". Every time we enter a new canyon with beta, we are aware of this and sometimes we have to pay for it, haha.

Anyways it was a great story, don't apologize, and please post more of your adventures in the future. You rock! :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
01-10-2012, 09:53 AM
B. The vast canyoneering public being middle aged and overweight line: Well you all kind of ar.....:bootyshake: kidding.

You can make all of the fun you like.... you will be joining the club soon enough. :mrgreen:

As you are now, so once were we.... As we are now, you will one day be. :cool2:

Welcome to Bogley. Your post makes me sad though. You posted an awesome story and we all enjoyed reading it. I think you should have let it stand as is.

x2

ratagonia
01-10-2012, 10:21 AM
And Tom's book is completely inaccurate sometimes...

Name one.

Tom

trackrunner
01-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Name one.

Tom

the helmet wearing part :bandit:

[/sarcasm]

mrbrejcha
01-11-2012, 05:37 PM
-Adam

Name a weekend and I'll go with. We tried to clean out the purple webbing a few weeks back, but the rock is way in there (I tugged on it first though, made the crux a little easier ;) ).
Honestly, that trip I cleaned way more webbing out of Shenany and Slidenide than what was left in Sandthrax. It's just a bummer of a spot for it and going to be hard to get out. I'm glad you're not still in there with the webbing.

Oh, Penny, I have your apricots but left some banana chips. ;)

And now, Wu-Tang 'cause it's rad:

1,2, 1,2, yo check this out, it's the jump off right now
I want everybody, to put your work down, put your guns down
And report to the pit, the gravel pit
Leave your problems at home, leave your children at home
We gon' take it back underground, I be Bobby Boulders
Wu-Tang Clan on yo' mind one time
It's the jump off, so just jump off my nigga...

[HOOK: Paulissa Morgan]
Check out my gravel pit
A mystery unraveling
Wu-Tang is the CD that I travel with
Don't go against the grain if you can't handle it

[Meth]
Ha, holla cross from the land of the lost
Behold the pale horse, off course (off course)
Follow me, Wu-Tang gotta be
The best thing since stocks in Clark Wallabees (ZZZH)
African killers bees black watch (black watch)
On your radio, blowin out yo' watts (ZZZH)
From Park Hill, the house on haunted hill
Every time you walk by your back get a chill (BLBLBH!)
Let's peel, who want to talk rap skills
I spit like a semi-automatic to the grill (BOOM!)
Elbow grease, and elbow room
Baby play me, baby fall down, go boom (BOOM!)
Party people gather round, count down to apocalypse (3, 2, 1...)

[U-God]
I'm the kid with the golden arms

[Meth]
And I'm the mother****in hott nikks (AAAAH!) pass the blunt
My nigga don't front
You had it for a minute but it seem like a month [COUGH]
Now I'm chokin, smokin, hopin
I don't croakin, from overdosin...
Hey kid, (walk straight as a I...)
Wu and Meth got you open (open), let's ride
Can't stand niggas that floss too much
Can't stand Bentleys they cost too much
Kid wanna get up then kid get touched
Kid wanna stick up then kid get stuck
I'm the one that called your bluff
When your boy tried to act tough...
Remember what Old Dirty said, I'll **** yo' ass up!
Now listen

[Meth over hook]
Back, back and forth and forth
As we go...
As we go...

[Ghostface]
E with the English, extinguish styles extremist
Bald head beamers run wild
It's the kid with the gold cup
Stepped out like what
What's poppin, and y'all niggas dobo
Blastin shae shae, chocolate shortae
Rich color mocks, rock those all day
1960 shit I'm Goldie
That's right mother****er don't hold me
The world's greatest, Las Vegas, paid as rock
Skin painted on my face look ageless
Perfect combos, Ghost bang out condos
Jeff from Hamo, ex three bangos
Bancos, stank hoes in plain clothes
Change those, bang those, same old, same old

[Raekwon]
Yeah y'all, straight up this the jump off right here
The gravel pit, word up represent, rock the boulders
All my rich gangsta style, killers, y'all know what time it is
Shorty do your thing, get up on that shit right now boo, do you
That's what I'm talkin 'bout

[U-God]
Yo, step to my groove, move like this
When we shoot the gift of course it's ruthless
Grab the mic with no excuses
In a sec, grab the techs and loot this
Executin, shakin all sets, and I'm breakin all hecks
I'm takin all bets, move all best, who want the dram' next
You all stank, we got the bigger bank
Bigger shank to fill your tank
Still the same kill you for real, while you crank
Slide, do or die, fry to bake
Admire the greats, on fire wit a heart of hate
Bitter shark, every part I take, heavy darts that quake
It's okay, all fakes, get caught by the dropkicks
You know the thrill, yes it's Park Hill
Yo we hit 'em with the hot grits...
On the go, check the flow, sayin Wu don't rock shit...
Stop quick, hold the gossip, stop sweatin my pockets
I hear the hot shit

-Brejcha

penmartens
01-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Matt,
Maybe that 'song' will go over better in person. Perhaps even more so performed live in 'thrax.
They weren't my apricots. We just found them there. I left them thinking someone else might need them.
If the chock stones are going to become the latest new-age meditation soul searching spot for young bucks and old farts, maybe we should install an ammo can with some creature comforts apricots, banana chips, chocolate, and maybe some Kracken for Jason's crew.
I'd be in for some webbing retrieval.
Penny

xxnitsuaxx
01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Matt,

If the chock stones are going to become the latest new-age meditation soul searching spot for young bucks and old farts, maybe we should install an ammo can with some creature comforts apricots, banana chips, chocolate, and maybe some Kracken for Jason's crew.

Penny

We're running through Sandthrax on Saturday. Anyone have any suggestions as to which chockstones are the most comfortable? If I'm going to get stuck in there, I want to make sure I get the best one!

Iceaxe
01-12-2012, 01:52 PM
We're running through Sandthrax on Saturday. Anyone have any suggestions as to which chockstones are the most comfortable? If I'm going to get stuck in there, I want to make sure I get the best one!

Honestly.... there is really only one good set of chokestones for lounging, and they are pretty hard to miss. :lol8:

It seems everyone stops to at least rest on them. :nod:

You will know it when you get to them, they are just after the first really hard upclimb, and just before the piton marking the beginning of the crux.

hank moon
01-13-2012, 08:47 PM
...the piton marking the beginning of the crux.

A note on that piton: it was placed 10 years ago in relatively poor rock. I wonder how much folks are trusting it these days? I hear there's a maillon on it now.

Spidey
01-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Only soft around the middle silver backs have to rest in Santhrax!!!! :lol8::lol8: