PDA

View Full Version : Escape TO Alcatraz

Audilard
01-03-2012, 02:03 PM
The need to escape from city life has me pondering a trip to Alcatraz on January 13th-14th for a weekend canyon. I don't have a wetsuit but given the "dryness" of the winter thus far and the dry 10+ day outlook I'm wondering if there will be water in the potholes. Any thoughts on this? Anyone have any recent beta?

qedcook
01-03-2012, 08:29 PM
I heard it snowed 5 inches in the Swell around Christmas. I know I'm just asking for hate mail, but if you're good at canyoneering/climbing and are fit, I don't think you'd need a wetsuit to do alcatraz right now, especially if there is a warm front when you go. I've done it in wet, cold conditions before and never got close to hypothermia, but if you don't deal well with cold water, that's another story.

I wish I could go that weekend but I've got tickets to Jim Gaffigan.

ratagonia
01-03-2012, 08:39 PM
I think it dries out quick, but, I'd wear a wetsuit just for warmth and scuff protection, and just in case.

Tom :moses:

CarpeyBiggs
01-03-2012, 08:52 PM
I heard it snowed 5 inches in the Swell around Christmas.
i think you heard wrong. very dry and warm down there right now. this from Ryan Cornia 2 days ago -

Conditions: Wow, the Swell/Roost/North Wash areas are very dry and warm for this time of year. The Swell and Roost, in particular, are great for hiking right now. A little snow in shady spots, but mostly dry and warm during the day.

Audilard
01-04-2012, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. 10 day outlook continues to look dry and in the 40's. Should be good!

Audilard
01-09-2012, 09:01 AM
I followed the storms all weekend and checked the precipitation report. Looks like the roost stayed dry! I'll be leaving after 5 on Friday and arriving at the Alcatraz trail head late that night. Should be a nice 45+ degree day....a little chilly at night though.